Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2013, 12:30 AM   #15

Scott, there is a air dryer filter on the right rear in front of the rear wheels that should be replaced. I can give you the part number if it is the same as mine was. Rotella 15-40 is what I used as well as Cummins filters. Make sure that you check the SCA's in the coolant or have it replaced with OAT coolant. If I remember correctly the steering wheelicon on the smart wheel doesn't do anything but I will check on that. Also, mine weren't backlit so it was a little hard to see at night. You were saying that the rear end seems a little low, there is a height sensor for the air suspension system and they are easily adjusted. I think I have info on that also. Check the front axle and see if it has a huge anti-sway bar installed. Mine had one and it really helped. As a drag racer you understand the possibility of fire. Contact Mac the fire guy (you can find him online) and get a large foam extinguisher for the engine (I mounted mine under the bed with the nozzle in the engine compartment) and one for behind the refrigerator. Don't forget to inspect the hitch. I will try and find the pictures of how bad mine was. There are 2 fuel filters, one on the the frame and the other on the engine. On top of the lift pump is a plunger that you can pump to make sure the filters are full of fuel when you replace them. I will send you all the info I have later.
Steve

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2013, 05:49 AM   #16

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottRussell View Post
The smart wheel button on the top right was the main thing I was wondering about. I can't seem to figure out what it does. It just has the image of a steering wheel on it.
If yours is like mine it is a picture of the clearance lights. Ya, I know. It looks like a steering wheel. As I was saying in an earlier post you have the ability to flash your lights, whether they are headlights or tai lights or clearance lights. I would strongly suggest you have someone stand outside, front and back, and see what comes on and off when you press a given button with lights on and lights off and try to commit that to memory. I have done that but the memory just isn't what it used to be. Also anytime you turn the wipers on the headlights come on. I am a novice as well so if I am telling you wrong I hope someone comes on here and chastises me for the infraction. Truckers flash their lights when they pass each other. When a trucker passes they flash their headlights to let the passing truck know it is clear to pull back over. That truck then flashes his tail lights or clearance lights thanking him for letting him know it is safe and clear to pull back over.

Old 12-15-2013, 10:01 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by slemnah View Post
Scott, there is a air dryer filter on the right rear in front of the rear wheels that should be replaced. I can give you the part number if it is the same as mine was. Rotella 15-40 is what I used as well as Cummins filters. Make sure that you check the SCA's in the coolant or have it replaced with OAT coolant. If I remember correctly the steering wheel icon on the smart wheel doesn't do anything but I will check on that. Also, mine weren't backlit so it was a little hard to see at night. You were saying that the rear end seems a little low, there is a height sensor for the air suspension system and they are easily adjusted. I think I have info on that also. Check the front axle and see if it has a huge anti-sway bar installed. Mine had one and it really helped. As a drag racer you understand the possibility of fire. Contact Mac the fire guy (you can find him online) and get a large foam extinguisher for the engine (I mounted mine under the bed with the nozzle in the engine compartment) and one for behind the refrigerator. Don't forget to inspect the hitch. I will try and find the pictures of how bad mine was. There are 2 fuel filters, one on the the frame and the other on the engine. On top of the lift pump is a plunger that you can pump to make sure the filters are full of fuel when you replace them. I will send you all the info I have later.
Steve
The buttons on the steering wheel in this Imperial are not back lit either, but in the 700 miles back up to TN from FL, I got used to it pretty quickly.

Thanks for the heads up on the fire extinguisher. How many fire extinguishers were on board was on my inspection checklist when I flew down to pick up the unit for Dean. I very surprised it only had the one beside the front door. My thought was it would be wise to have at least 3 inside the cabin, and at least one, if not two in lower compartments.

If you can come up with your old pictures of the plunger on top of the lift pump, I would be most grateful.

Steve, thanks again for all your help and insight on this unit. I can't tell you what a great thing it is to have found someone who has owned precisely the same vehicle who is willing to share what they learned.

Now if I can just locate an owner's/operator's manual I'll be golden. However, that is proving to be a challenge.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:15 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wilson View Post
If yours is like mine it is a picture of the clearance lights. Ya, I know. It looks like a steering wheel. As I was saying in an earlier post you have the ability to flash your lights, whether they are headlights or tai lights or clearance lights. I would strongly suggest you have someone stand outside, front and back, and see what comes on and off when you press a given button with lights on and lights off and try to commit that to memory. I have done that but the memory just isn't what it used to be. Also anytime you turn the wipers on the headlights come on. I am a novice as well so if I am telling you wrong I hope someone comes on here and chastises me for the infraction. Truckers flash their lights when they pass each other. When a trucker passes they flash their headlights to let the passing truck know it is clear to pull back over. That truck then flashes his tail lights or clearance lights thanking him for letting him know it is safe and clear to pull back over.
Alan the "Flash" button on the upper left flashes the rear and side lights for sure, but I don't know about the head lights. I used it on the way home from Florida after passing trucks. When they flashed their headlights after I passed, I'd move back over, and after I'd cleared the fast lane, I'd press the "Flash" button a couple of times like I see the truckers do.

The heads lights have been somewhat a mystery though. When I start the engine, the headlights are not on. However, once I turn them on with the plunger switch for the first time, they stay on and do not turn off till I turn off the ignition switch. I'm wondering now if the mystery button on the top right (with the image of a steering wheel on it) isn't to flash the head lights. It would seem to make sense with the top left being used to flash the tail and side lights.

I'll take your advise when we get the unit back from Kenworth and have Dean stand outside and see what happens with lights as I move through the various possibilities.

I'd have to say, I've been racing (something I know extremely well) for so long, it's been energizing to get into something I know nothing about and try and learn it. I haven't had this much fun in years.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:25 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
As for the Full Time RV thing, I have a 2300 sq ft brick home with an in ground pool (that I HATE with an unholy passion!).
HA! I'd sell the pool (and the house with it)
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 01:10 PM   #20

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:

The Allison 6 speed would seem to be in great shape, but occasionally downshifts hard when it's cold, and feels like torque converter shudder went upshifting at lower rpms at times. Any tips or tricks or recommended service techniques? Particular fluids or additives some of the experienced RVer's gravitate toward?

Remember that the Allison 3060 will "learn" your driving style and go through some shifting adjustments when towing and not towing for the first several miles. Mine will also shudder and down shift hard at very slow speeds followed by heavy accelerator on the side of a hill. It has done so for the last 11 years.

I converted to Transynd fluid in 2010. There appears to be no noticeable difference in operation from the previous Dextron III that the Allison was using from date of manufacture. I suspect continuing with the cheaper fluid is not a bad practice. It just requires more frequent fluid changes. Oil analysis indicates all is fine at this time.

I have towed a 4500 lb boat and trailer with a length of 23' behind my 38' 30,000# rig with no complications. This has happened going from 800 ft elevation to 7,000 ft elevation in about 80 miles. Slow going but got there. Many of us tow vehicles that weigh close to 5,000 lbs with the C8.3L Cummins.

Check the hitch to be sure it is rated from more than 3000 lbs. I am confident your rig will be rated to tow at least 6,000 lbs.

If you now own the rig, oil sample analysis at the next oil change might be a good for both the Allison and the Cummins to set a baseline and maybe ease some concerns about condition.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 06:45 PM   #21

Quote:
Alan the "Flash" button on the upper left flashes the rear and side lights for sure, but I don't know about the head lights. I used it on the way home from Florida after passing trucks. When they flashed their headlights after I passed, I'd move back over, and after I'd cleared the fast lane, I'd press the "Flash" button a couple of times like I see the truckers do. The heads lights have been somewhat a mystery though. When I start the engine, the headlights are not on. However, once I turn them on with the plunger switch for the first time, they stay on and do not turn off till I turn off the ignition switch. I'm wondering now if the mystery button on the top right (with the image of a steering wheel on it) isn't to flash the head lights. It would seem to make sense with the top left being used to flash the tail and side lights. I'll take your advise when we get the unit back from Kenworth and have Dean stand outside and see what happens with lights as I move through the various possibilities. I'd have to say, I've been racing (something I know extremely well) for so long, it's been energizing to get into something I know nothing about and try and learn it. I haven't had this much fun in years.
Ha! Glad you are having fun. I had my SIL stand outside and tell me what did what but I have slept since then! Lol! I had it in my head once but I guess I will need him to do it again for a refresher.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:21 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
Remember that the Allison 3060 will "learn" your driving style and go through some shifting adjustments when towing and not towing for the first several miles. Mine will also shudder and down shift hard at very slow speeds followed by heavy accelerator on the side of a hill. It has done so for the last 11 years.

I converted to Transynd fluid in 2010. There appears to be no noticeable difference in operation from the previous Dextron III that the Allison was using from date of manufacture. I suspect continuing with the cheaper fluid is not a bad practice. It just requires more frequent fluid changes. Oil analysis indicates all is fine at this time.

I have towed a 4500 lb boat and trailer with a length of 23' behind my 38' 30,000# rig with no complications. This has happened going from 800 ft elevation to 7,000 ft elevation in about 80 miles. Slow going but got there. Many of us tow vehicles that weigh close to 5,000 lbs with the C8.3L Cummins.

Check the hitch to be sure it is rated from more than 3000 lbs. I am confident your rig will be rated to tow at least 6,000 lbs.

If you now own the rig, oil sample analysis at the next oil change might be a good for both the Allison and the Cummins to set a baseline and maybe ease some concerns about condition.
I don't own the rig. It belongs to my best friend Dean Fisher. However, I have always done all the driving to the races in the past, and I assume this will be no different. We work on each other's race cars and vehicles all the time. Dean is about 10 years older than me. If I had to characterize it, I'd say he's somewhere between the big brother I never had, and a surrogate father figure. When we were next door neighbors, I got divorced, and his first wife passed away from complications from diabetes. He remarried and moved to the country, but we have remained good friends. He has since divorced from his second wife. At our respective ages (I'm 50 and he just turned 61), we are both much more interested in projects and racing than chasing women lol. But just to clarify, the 97 Imperial is his, not mine.

As for the transmission, I didn't realize the 3060 had self learn capability. Good to know. I'm picking up new information on this site so fast it's like feasting from a fire hose! Thanks for your input. I appreciate it.

Tags
forum, rvs