Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2015, 01:34 PM   #1

New to the RV Family, & Electrical Question

Hello everyone!
I have read through a few of the forums online and decided it would be advantages to join the forum. Our family just purchased our first RV. We are very excited about the journeys ahead. Although the RV isn't new, it is new to us and we are excited about any work to be done and how to make it ours. The RV we just purchased is a '97 Damon Intruder 532B. It is a 53' coach on a Ford chassis with the 7.5L 460.

Although i have done a lot of research and found a good bit of info on the internet, manuals and such, there are some things that i'm still having problems with. I've been able to fix a few of the items i'm having problems with but there is one still plaguing me! I can't get anything to work off of the coach batteries. The shore power works, generator works(once i fix the transfer switch) but nothing from the coach batteries. I have replaced the 2 batteries so i know they are good. Many people have told me to look for the battery disconnect switch. can't find that for the life of me. Any help with this coach power problem will be greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you!
Shertz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2015, 01:42 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Look around the entrance door and there should be a 12V switch. Make sure it is in the on position.

Your coach is probably a 35' coach since it is on a gas chassis and the longest they make now are 45' diesel pushers.

Good Luck,

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 01:54 PM   #3

Ooops, i meant 35', don't know why it came out 53'!

Anyway, i have been told that too, and the only thing i find there is a step light that doesn't work and 2 small metal switches. One is for the "porch lights" and the other turns the steps on and off. There is another hole on that panel like there was something there at one time, but nothing about the batteries?
Old 03-30-2015, 01:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shertz9 View Post
Hello everyone!
I have read through a few of the forums online and decided it would be advantages to join the forum. Our family just purchased our first RV. We are very excited about the journeys ahead. Although the RV isn't new, it is new to us and we are excited about any work to be done and how to make it ours. The RV we just purchased is a '97 Damon Intruder 532B. It is a 53' coach on a Ford chassis with the 7.5L 460.

Although i have done a lot of research and found a good bit of info on the internet, manuals and such, there are some things that i'm still having problems with. I've been able to fix a few of the items i'm having problems with but there is one still plaguing me! I can't get anything to work off of the coach batteries. The shore power works, generator works(once i fix the transfer switch) but nothing from the coach batteries. I have replaced the 2 batteries so i know they are good. Many people have told me to look for the battery disconnect switch. can't find that for the life of me. Any help with this coach power problem will be greatly appreciated!!!
Thank you!
Shertz9
Many, (most?), RVs have a switch near the entry door that shuts off the 12V to the house lights and appliances.
Also some inverters have both 120V and 12V circuit breakers, (on the inverter itself)...you might have a tripped 12V breaker.
Good luck
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 02:04 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Second post in thread from this forum might be of help.

http://https://www.rv.net/forum/inde...print/true.cfm
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 02:11 PM   #6

Dean,
the link didn't seam to work???
Old 03-30-2015, 02:24 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Ooops, i meant 35', don't know why it came out 53'!

Anyway, i have been told that too, and the only thing i find there is a step light that doesn't work and 2 small metal switches. One is for the "porch lights" and the other turns the steps on and off. There is another hole on that panel like there was something there at one time, but nothing about the batteries?

I am so glad for that typo as I couldn't imagine driving a 53'! LOL!

Enjoy your MH and the journey and fun lifestyle that it gives you and your family!!!
austx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:49 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
denlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:54 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
My battery disconnect switch is on the dash, check there.
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 03:23 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
When you say nothing works on batteries, do the coach lights work?

Outlets do not run off batteries, shore power or generator only (Maybe inverter if you have one)

I ask this because you specifically said you were new to this. A common error made by fresh newcomers is thinking the batteries supply power to the wall outlets.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 06:26 AM   #11

Switch

I had a '97 Damon Daybreak. Battery disconnect was on the dash left side of steering wheel. It was a toggle - no indication of which position was "connect" or "disconnect".
ellisda1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 06:37 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Welcome to the forum. Hope someone can help locate the switch. If you have the manual it may help locate the switch. Good luck and great adventures. You will find help here.
ZOOKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:28 AM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Dean,
the link didn't seam to work???
Note.....you can do your own search. I found about 5 threads on this forum with the search words, "Damon Intruder Battery Switch".

Another try at the link failed.....

Evidently one cannot copy and paste a web address from the forum history into the link function of a post and expect it to work.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:43 AM   #14

FWIW I would start by tracing the big wire from the battery. It will probably go to a can type relay. Looks like (but is not) the kind Ford uses for the starter. It is probably off and is the disconnect for storage. You can check it with a meter or test light to ground. Should be a nominal 12 VDC on each big terminal. Start flipping switches until it happens. Is sounds like the "salesman's switch" or storage switch is on the dash or was moved somewhere else by a previous owner. You can try following the leads on the small terminals if you are desperate.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical