Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2012, 09:01 AM   #1

New to the RV World good advice sought

Hello everyone.

We are wanting to buy a 45' Deisel Pusher. Looking at Tiffin Zephyr, Newmar Essex and just came across Travel Supreme model Select 45MS24.

My wife and I will be traveling with our very large rottie and towing a trailer with a 24' enclosed car trailer. We will be living and working aboard in North Dakota during the very harsh winters they experience. So, we would prefer a coach that has radiant heat and all the creature comforts we can get in a coach for under $200k. We also would like to gp older that 2006. I know this is a tall order.

We value all the help we can get and would love to hear from experienced Class A owners.

Thanks,
Ben & Ellie

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2012, 10:22 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum.
Based on where you plan on being in the winter, I would look for a unit that offers heated tanks. (freshwater, grey/black water). I would also stock up on pipe insulation as well as heat tape to keep everything from freezing. You may need to put a small (60W) bulb in the bay with your water connections as well. I believe CW sells a heated fresh water hose from the CG connections to the MH. Not sure how well it works but did see another camper with one last year.
Long johns and a good sleeping bag as well.

dls461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:18 AM   #3

Dual paned windows...look for the 'Alaskan Pack' though that means different things to different manufacturers, but dual paned windows is the primary meaning.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:09 PM   #4

I would be curious where a campground would be open in ND in the winter months. Having said that their are many things you will need to do to ensure nothing freezes and breaks.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:14 PM   #5

Based on the experience of two friends, I would stay away from Travel Supreme Select.
mgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:06 AM   #6

Tiffin Zephyr?

Any thoughts on an 06 Tiffin Zephyr with 60k miles?
Old 08-22-2012, 07:58 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Benellie,
Welcome to iRV2. For me, go with the Newmar Essex. Go to Newmar Resource Center | Brochures and scroll down the page until you find the year of Essex you are considering. One can download the brochure. The coach specs are in the brochure.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:19 AM   #8

The coaches you mention are all good choices. The Travel Supreme had some issues with wet bay rot and needing supplemental X bracing in the chassis. These are fixable issues however.

Drive train wise, look for a Cummins ISM as that may be the best all around motor home engine ever used. In you look at a coach with the ISL in the '05-'06 age, get the engine serial number and call Cummins. There was a known issue in a certain block if serial numbers with a defective wrist pin which can cause engine failure. AquaHot is very good for heat and hot water in cold weather, and usually has a heat exchanger in the basement area. Plus the AquaHot box leaks some heat which helps in the basement.

I would like to offer up the top three Monaco models. The Signature, Executive and Dynasty are wonderful coaches and particularly in the pre '06 time frame. They are built on the S Series semi monocoque chassis which is very strong and stable on the road.

Good luck and safe travels.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:59 AM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club

All good suggestions about 'winter hardened' coaches being what you need to look for. Something I noticed in your post, you're traveling with a Rottweiler. Be aware that many campgrounds ask and deny renting over certain dog breeds. I'm sure your dog, 'has never hurt anyone' and is a big baby, but but know that almost every campground we've stopped at specifically ask what breed our dog is. Funny thing is, we don't know, he was a pound rescue dog, so we make something up.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post

I would like to offer up the top three Monaco models. The Signature, Executive and Dynasty are wonderful coaches and particularly in the pre '06 time frame. They are built on the S Series semi monocoque chassis which is very strong and stable on the road.

Good luck and safe travels.
I will second the above. We had an 05 Dynasty 42', and it was a solid, well built coach. Real wood, and thick! Don't see that as much today. We only sold it (in 2010) because it was too long for us. Best coach we have ever had, however.
mgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:26 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
We had a 2009 Tiffin Allegro Bus before purchasing our SIG. Lots of quality/workmanship issues. And, when it got cold outside, it was cold inside.

Look for an AquaHot heating system that will run off of diesel, rather than a propane heater installation. In floor heat really helps. In the SIG we have AquaHot baseboard heat supplemented by in-floor electric heat. It's nice and comfy. Although you'll need a rug in the cockpit area because Monaco doesn't insulate the floor in the area or run the in-floor electric to cover it. There is an AquaHot heater in the water bay.

You may need to insulate the diesel tank.
Steve Kieffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:03 PM   #12

Just a quick note...
I'm 42+ foot coach with 24' V nose trailer and I'm 70 feet nose to tail.
A 45 foot coach and you will be even longer. There are a few states (Colorado for 1) where 70' is legal. Most states are 65'. I have yet to run into trouble for being 5' over, but just be aware...

NoDak in the winter can get pretty darn cold. Besides "winterized" capable coaches, you will have to think about things like sewer hoses, water, potentially fuel tank and lines somebody mentioned, power for engine block heater, maybe a way to block out wind and heat or insulate under the coach. Good luck!
Old 08-22-2012, 08:33 PM   #13

might want to consider 42 foot Entegra Aspire. insulation top to bottom is better than other makes for same price. heated floors also. the DEQ model specifically has an L shaped sofa with a TV/fireplace across from it. double paned windows will mean the fireplace can heat the entire coach. and new off the line 2013 aspire DEQ runs about 260K.
it's one we are considering buying and we will be in minnesota till november.

Just my opinion.

DC
Old 12-14-2012, 09:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
I would be curious where a campground would be open in ND in the winter months. Having said that their are many things you will need to do to ensure nothing freezes and breaks.
All the RV parks in the oil patch are opened all year long. Thanks