Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2011, 09:38 PM   #1

New to this

My hubby and I are purchasing our first rv tomorrow an older one to start with. We have children and we need to make better seating arrangements to have more seatbelts. We are taking out an old dining set and would like to put in a sofa with seatbelts. Is this even do-able and where can I go to find an affordable one?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2011, 11:50 PM   #2

Well,
Welcome to the RV world. It's a lot of fun and always a learning experience. One of the ways to answer your question would be to suggest you might find an RV restoration place near you, if possible. You see, they make changes, alterations, additions, subtractions all day long, every day.
It doesn't mean you have to have them do the work, or, have them do it if you like, but, I'm just suggesting you ask them. There are quite a few folks here on this site that changed the floor plan of their coach to suit their needs. Good luck and enjoy RVing. Go out where you and your children can explore.
Scott

FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 12:26 AM   #3

It's certainly do-able. Check with BestpreownedRV.com for an answer to your question. They've had a lot of experience with refitting and fixing used RVs. Just a suggestion and welcome to the forum. You'll find a lot of knowledgeable folks on here.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:32 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I can't help you with the seat belt question but welcome to the forum!
We're glad you found us.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:23 AM   #5

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsingley
My hubby and I are purchasing our first rv tomorrow an older one to start with. We have children and we need to make better seating arrangements to have more seatbelts. We are taking out an old dining set and would like to put in a sofa with seatbelts. Is this even do-able and where can I go to find an affordable one?
Please rethink your idea about removing the dinette, at least you have 2 forward facing seats that should already have seat belts. Safety of all your passengers means all are either front facing with a lap/ shoulder belt combination( based on weight and height). Or rear facing for 2 years and younger.
A side facing seat belt only helps to injure you more! The crash forces if you were in a head on collision or any other collision a more than the body can handle facing sideways with just a lap belt. Weight x speed = force.

Here is a great website for your consideration, you can also look up certified technicians in your area that can offer assistance in selecting the best seat positions and types of child restraints based on weight and height.
http://www.usa.safekids.org/our-work...er-safety.html

Ron
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:46 AM   #6

Welcome to the forum and check for belts in your dinette. If not there, then maybe you can install them there and not rip it out.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:54 AM   #7

The dinette that's in there only has one seat and it's not really a chair more like a wooden built in seat with cushions but no seat belts. The only seat belts currently are the 2 in the driver and passenger seats. I'm open to other ideas, it's not very big but we didn't want a huge one to start off so we could see if an rv was even a fit for us.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:00 AM   #8

If you could tell us what MH it is, they may be able to come up with more ideas. On our 27' Winnebago, the dinette set has 4 seat belts. You might want to think of putting in a dinette that seats 4. With kids, holding their plates while they eat would require quite a few paper towels around.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:05 AM   #9

Let me know if this link works: http://norfolk.craigslist.org/rvs/2501098555.html
Old 08-14-2011, 01:26 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Seat Belts

When asking for advice on working on your RV, always give as much detail on the RV as possible. Type, make, model, length, etc. That way you will get better advice.

Very difficicult to give you a sloution when we do not know the layout of the RV. Add pictures, too, if possible.

Happy Trails!

Darryl
Old 08-14-2011, 02:03 PM   #11

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Your link works but you need to find a check station that can look at your rig.
http://www.safekids.org/in-your-area...type_category=
There is on in Greenville, one in Edenton(sp)
Check the link, ask your local fire department
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 04:14 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
You can add seatbelts to a sofa, mine came with three.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 04:50 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Welcome

Welcome!! I hope you enjoy your new RV. I'm new here myself but there are lots of super nice people here to answer your questions. Good luck!
Old 08-14-2011, 04:59 PM   #14

That unit has already been remodeled a lot. That is not the stock dining table or bench seat. It better be in real great shape for $3500. Thats a high end price for that year. Typical price is $1500 - $3000 for excellant shape.
In 78, the only seatbelts installed where in driver/passenger seats.
The original unit design could have a full 4 person bench seat, two lounge chairs or possibly a wrap around bench seat.
Is it a Dodge (M400) or Chevy (P30) chassis? Itasca used both at that time frame.
Seatbelts can be added to forward facing seats but have to be properly secured to the floor.
You might want to look around a little more for a layout that will fit your family size a little better. There are many setups for reasonable prices in the 1975 to 1985 time frame.

Dave