Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2011, 10:19 AM   #15

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikron View Post
Take your PC with you to the show. When you find something you think you want go on iRV2 and ask what members know good/bad before you sign.
.....and if you are still in doubt, take the business cards home and sleep on it. You will be surprised how a good night's sleep (or two)can help you on your big decision. Be sure to look at all issues associated with RV ownership,
insurance, storage, maintenance, fuel costs (big difference from a pop-up).
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2011, 10:31 AM   #16

Another vote for IFS. When we had a front tire blow-out and the DW was driving she had zero problems controlling the rig.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:17 PM   #17

Thanks Tommy and All,

As I see this is an "adventure"!!

J
jaykris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 02:28 PM   #18

American Coach started offering the Spartan Mountain Master Chasiss with IFS in the late 90's.

Likewise for Dutch Stars on the Spartan MM Chassis.

As others have said, most will recommend their own brand.

I have been very pleased with my 98 American Eagle 40 footer.

You will be able to buy American Coaches for around 100K starting with the 2003 model years. Older coaches will be less money and subject to less complexity and depreciation IMHO.

Factory support from American Coach and Spartan is fantastic.

Have fun looking!

Dave
1998 American Eagle 40EVS
Cummins C8.3 325 HP Engine
Allison 3060 Six Speed Transmission
FormerBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 04:30 PM   #19

Congratulations on your decision. We have downsized from a 36 ft to 32 ft, gas to diesel. Country Coach Intrigue. Yes I know they went out of business, but still a quality unit. Diesel because you can never have too much torque, smaller because we too are getting older and length limits where you can go and makes navigating more stressful. Slides, at least one, two can be nicer for fulltiming but not necessary. We tow a Jeep Grand Cherokee after giving up on a good Silverado 4wd, again, to shorten the total length.
cherokeejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:51 AM   #20

Yea the wife wants to try to full time it!! So, we will be pulling something, also, my Harley will be on a lift on the rear. Aint leavin home without the Harley......

So guys, I'm hearing Diesel, IF suspension, and around 40ft with at least two pushouts.....HEY! I think we are getting somewhere here!!

Thanks!

J
jaykris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:15 AM   #21

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Speaking from the non-mechanical side, I'd consider where I could get the large things repaired.. For the engine and the house both. Then I'd also ask the mechanics about their experiences. That might narrow the decision down. We just aren't good at those repairs, but we know who to call!
Purplefans & Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:34 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome jaykris to irv2.
After you have your information put it all together using these lists to be a step ahead of the salesman.
Enjoy your hunt and keep posting.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:47 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
J,

Even though we have a fairly new gas MH that we purchased a couple of years ago, I still enjoy looking at other makes and models... If you are looking at used units at all, here are a couple of sites that offer bank repos that are interesting to look at. You may not be interested at all, but it is fun to look, and doesn't cost a thing...

http://commonwealthboatbrokers.com/vehicles.asp?vt=RV

Crankyape.com Bank repo rvs, motorcycles, snowmobiles, atvs, boats, trucks, trailers, go karts, jet skis, sleds, fourwheelers, trailers, motorhomes, rvs.
DuaneMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:49 AM   #24

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Brands:
I can only say stay away from Gulf Stream, which you will do because the other folks posting are correct.

Floorplans / other:
My wife is a decorator and continually amazes me with her comments and insights. Don't get too focused on what you "see" that you like. Avoid the "wow" factor. Sit in the home and go thru the motions of what your "activity" will be before choosing a floorplan. Is it for visiting with more than 2 people, do you play cards, or are you into movies? Remove the cooktop and sink tops when examining counter space. And some people cook a lot, others not so much. IF you cook, consider a gas oven and nut just the convection micro, which while they work don't brown pies or crisp up shrimp the same as gas. Check out how easy it is to attach water, electric, cable and to dump. Some are harder than others. And how easy is it to get to storage - how is your back and knees, etc. Different designs work for different people even if both are good. If possible before buying examine every filter as they are good indicators of maintenance history.

A lot of people on here will agree that you buy the first home to find out what you really want, then buy the one you want. So the more you immerse yourself in it before choosing the better you will enjoy yourselves.

Best of luck.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:15 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykris View Post
Yea the wife wants to try to full time it!! So, we will be pulling something, also, my Harley will be on a lift on the rear. Aint leavin home without the Harley......

So guys, I'm hearing Diesel, IF suspension, and around 40ft with at least two pushouts.....HEY! I think we are getting somewhere here!!

Thanks!

J
With a lift heavy enough for a Harley and towing both, you may need to consider a tag axle coach.
bullheaded is offline   Reply With Quote