Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2011, 08:14 AM   #1

New to this hobby

Hey All,

I am sure this has been asked a MILLION times in the past, so please be patient with me. We have tented, had pop-ups, and are now getting older,(as we all do) and are looking at the ultimate!!

We have wittled it down to around a 40ft diesel pusher. THAT is about as far as we have gotten. The branding is the issue. The salesman, well, are salesman. They have to sell what they have, I know, trust me. So which brand is the best? I cannot afford a million dollar unit, thats for sure, we will be looking at a unit around 5 years old, around 100k. What is good and
what is junk? I have been told several manufacturers have gone under recently.

Thanks,

Jaykris

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2011, 08:25 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykris View Post
Hey All,

I am sure this has been asked a MILLION times in the past, so please be patient with me. We have tented, had pop-ups, and are now getting older,(as we all do) and are looking at the ultimate!!

We have wittled it down to around a 40ft diesel pusher. THAT is about as far as we have gotten. The branding is the issue. The salesman, well, are salesman. They have to sell what they have, I know, trust me. So which brand is the best? I cannot afford a million dollar unit, thats for sure, we will be looking at a unit around 5 years old, around 100k. What is good and
what is junk? I have been told several manufacturers have gone under recently.

Thanks,

Jaykris
Welcome to the forum and the hobby. Try this one on for size:
2005 Dutch Star By Newmar 4015 for Sale - D137

One of my club members bought a Dutch in '99 and it's still kickin' and looks good too. Don't be afraid of all of the ones out of business, just the ones that were bad to to begin with. You can do a search on this site and find many pros and cons on a particular brand. Pop-up to a DP, I like your style.
J
J

Old 01-16-2011, 08:52 AM   #3

Thats a nice ride! We have a RV show in Atlanta at the end of the month that we will be attending. This is a huge purchase, and we dont want to blow it. Been there done that before!

OK and to add to the original post........diesel or gas????? I am leaning towards diesel.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:56 AM   #4

If you have the opportunity take a ride down to Red Bay AL and tour the Tiffin factory they are the best in my opinion.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:02 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykris View Post

OK and to add to the original post........diesel or gas????? I am leaning towards diesel.
Now you are starting something! If you are looking at 40 footers it will be
diesel.
J
Old 01-16-2011, 09:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDWINGER2 View Post
Now you are starting something! If you are looking at 40 footers it will be
diesel.
J
Oh oh! Diesels and Gassers I assume, dont mix?? OK, today is a good day,I learned something, I didnt realize 40 ft had to be diesel.

J
Old 01-16-2011, 09:23 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I highly recommend Winnebago -- quality and factory support are outstanding. In addition, you will find most of the manuals, parts list, etc. for your coach on their site for downloading -- detailed, down to the screws and bolts, with diagrams to assist someone that does their own routine maintenance.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:29 AM   #8

Cut back to a 37 to 38 foot and you can go gas.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:39 AM   #9

As you will find out each different owner will suggest their brand just do your homework not all chassis are a like just like cars they will get you there do you want to ride in style on Hang on there are deals to be made your making a huge step from a pop up to a 40ft pusher.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:50 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My advice would be to just start looking at every rig you can and then choose based on what you like in the floor-plan etc. Plus we found it was fun looking at all the different rigs out there. Good Luck.
High Plains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:58 AM   #11

Welcome to the forum and good luck. Do lots of homework before jumping. When you attend the show, look for floorplans you like and then research used MH's online and compare floorplans in different models.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:49 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
As stated most owners will suggest their brand. I will step out of the box here a little. Yes, I highly recommend Newmar as I own one, but what they offer may not appeal to everyone. Other good manufacturers are Tiffin, Winnie, and monaco. Beware of used Monacos with the 4bag suspension as certain year models have trailing arm issues.

All brands will have small issues from time to time. It may be because of lack of maintenance by the previous owner or just a worn out component.

The show in Atlanta will be a good start, but don't limit yourself to what you find available there. All manufacturers don't have dealers in Ga., Newmar is one that doesn't along with a few others. So your choice will be limited at the show. For a larger group to look at FMCA will be holding a rally in Perry, Ga. in March which will have most if not every motorhome manufacturer displaying their models.

If you are looking for no less than 40 ft. then diesel is about the only way to go, especially with slides. Also when looking at diesels look for a chassis with independent front suspension as the ride qaulity is far superior. There are many high qaulity manufacturers, do some research and find a unit you like, then research that brand until you find what makes you happy.

As said before Newmar, Tiffin, and Winnie seem to be favorites among most for qaulity, longevity, and service.
Parkerrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:00 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Take your PC with you to the show. When you find something you think you want go on iRV2 and ask what members know good/bad before you sign.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:14 AM   #14

I agree with Parkerrs on the independent front suspension, it would be a must for me and don't cut yourself short on power, especially if you plan to tow, as the mileage won't change too much.

bullheaded is offline   Reply With Quote