Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2013, 08:42 PM   #1

New to us FRED Owner...question on oil changes

We recently traded our gasser or a gently used 2008 Gulf Stream FRED. After reading various posts about the cost of oil changes we would like to know the recommended cycle for an oil change in a diesel unit. My husband always did all of his own oil changes in the gasser but needs to do some investigation in regards to how and how often for the diesel. We only purchased it in October so this is all new to us. Lucky for us all of the fluids were changed at the time of purchase so we have a little time on our hands before the next change.

Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2013, 09:11 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You probably have a Cummins. My last coach was a Newmar FRED. Oil changes are no dfferent than a gas coach and mine was 5000 miles or 1 year. Mine was a 98' and held 11 quarts of oil. Really easy to do.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:40 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
If you can change it in a gas engine, you can do a diesel. It just has a larger capacity, so make sure you have a proper sized catch basin and be prepared for much blacker oil, it's the nature of the beast.
Check at the manufacturer's website if you don't have an engine or chassis manual for information.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:02 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanbuskirk View Post
We recently traded our gasser or a gently used 2008 Gulf Stream FRED. After reading various posts about the cost of oil changes we would like to know the recommended cycle for an oil change in a diesel unit. My husband always did all of his own oil changes in the gasser but needs to do some investigation in regards to how and how often for the diesel. We only purchased it in October so this is all new to us. Lucky for us all of the fluids were changed at the time of purchase so we have a little time on our hands before the next change.
Congrats I have an 07 37 Crescendo with the same chassis Cummins 5.9 300 HP Allison 5 speed.

I do my oil changes at 7500 mile intervals along with the fuel filter this way I can do everything at once.

Mine holds 18 quarts of Oil I use Rotella T 15/40 and Fleet Guard Filters.

I purchased mine with 7140 miles so I had the pleasure of doing the very first oil change and have also done my second at 15K now 16.5K on the clock.

I also serviced the Trans just for peace of mind and the coach was 6 years old, time is as important as Mileage.

Good Luck and if you have any questions let me know.

Ted.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:42 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I suggest you call Freightliner Custom Chassis (the chassis builder) and ask the correct oil change interval for your engine. And all the other maintenance intervals as well. While you are talking, ask how to get a copy of the owner manual for the chassis too. It should be downloadable.

Have the last 6 digits of your VIN handy when you call 800-385-4357 (1-800-FTL-HELP). They are very friendly and helpful folks and available 24/7.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 02:04 PM   #6

Follow the engine manufactures oil change interval. Don't over change the oil. IMO over changing it too often is just as bad or worse that not changing it often enough.
Old 12-15-2013, 02:15 PM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Hmmm .

I've never heard that one before.
Old 12-15-2013, 02:16 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutAround View Post
Follow the engine manufactures oil change interval. Don't over change the oil. IMO over changing it too often is just as bad or worse that not changing it often enough.
How is changing oil too often bad or worse than not changing enough? I'm curious. I know it's a waste of money and fossil fuel, but how is it bad for the engine?

Bob & Donna
Old 12-15-2013, 02:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
How is changing oil too often bad or worse than not changing enough? I'm curious. I know it's a waste of money and fossil fuel, but how is it bad for the engine?
Modern engine oils have tons and tons of additives and detergents. These detergents are very strong when first put into the engine and are meant to be heated and cooled and exposed to operating temperatures over a particular lifespan of the oil.

If you constantly over change your oil these additives are always at a strong concentration and are never exposed to the design heating and cooling and operating design life. Thus your seals are always exposed to hard additives and detergents. Over a long period of time this can cause seal failure and thus engine damage.

As with anything too much of a good thing can be bad.

Most MH owners over maintain and under utilize their equipment.

Many over the road rigs with oil sampling and regular oil filter changes go in excess of 100,000 miles between changes now. (I'm not suggesting that at all. I am suggesting you follow the book...not more.....not less)
Old 12-15-2013, 02:29 PM   #10

Another fun one......In some engines having too much oil in the engine leads to an oil starvation failure. Its true. Counter intuitive but true.
Old 12-15-2013, 03:05 PM   #11

I do my own oil changes, just as I did with my gas rig. Larger drain pan, bigger oil filter wrench. The process is the same, drain and refill.
Good luck.
Kjlunda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 04:02 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
I've done a Google on 'Changing oil too often' and 'frequent oil changes damages seals' and find no evidence of oil additives causes seal or gasket damage. Oil makers say that fossil or synthetic, seals aren't harmed by oil additives. I recall the old wive's tail of synthetics causing leaks because it could sneak through places regular oil wouldn't go, but I've never seen real evidence of this 'myth.' None of the 'gearhead' forums supports your idea with any evidence. Too much oil can cause the oil to be 'beaten' to a froth that won't pump, so that's no new revelation, but besides wearing out the drain plug and oil filter threads, I see no harm except to your wallet and the environment in frequent oil changes.

Besides mileage, there's also an element of time in oil change intervals. Because many folks let RVs sit for long periods, the calendar can be as important a factor as the odometer in determining servicing the drive train.

Bob & Donna
Old 12-15-2013, 04:22 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I've done a Google on 'Changing oil too often' and 'frequent oil changes damages seals' and find no evidence of oil additives causes seal or gasket damage. Oil makers say that fossil or synthetic, seals aren't harmed by oil additives. I recall the old wive's tail of synthetics causing leaks because it could sneak through places regular oil wouldn't go, but I've never seen real evidence of this 'myth.' None of the 'gearhead' forums supports your idea with any evidence. Too much oil can cause the oil to be 'beaten' to a froth that won't pump, so that's no new revelation, but besides wearing out the drain plug and oil filter threads, I see no harm except to your wallet and the environment in frequent oil changes. Besides mileage, there's also an element of time in oil change intervals. Because many folks let RVs sit for long periods, the calendar can be as important a factor as the odometer in determining servicing the drive train.
And Lee Harvey Oswald killed JFK too. I have had this conversation with more than one Cummins rep as well and discussed engine failures directly due to over changing. I have also discussed this with Kubota, Kohler and Kawasaki engineers. I have personally seen engines torn open as well. The are a lot of reasons why this isn't discussed. Big oil has big money and vested interest in you changing your oil as much as possible. I never said in any of my posts NOT to follow the manufacturers instructions and I specifically stated miles or time for changes. I stand firm changing the oil too often is as bad as changing the oil not often enough. My bottom line point is follow the directions. I've met RVers who insist on changing their oil every 3 months or 3,000 miles.....including one who was getting a brand new Cummins ISB installed under warranty. I then had the conversation I mentioned above with the Cummins rep. and he schooled the owner not to change the oil at 3/3 intervals or he would not get a new engine again. I know this shocks many people and many choose not to believe me. That's ok. Maybe Oswald did kill JFK. My main point is follow the directions whatever they may be but don't over change your fluids or filters. If you don't buy the additive strength argument its a waste of money and resources and wasted time as well. Since I like to start trouble.....lol......here's one for you......a slightly or moderately dirty air filter catches more dirt than a brand new clean filter. Over changing your air filter is a bad idea too. Don't change it if you can see light.