Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2013, 08:05 AM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
"Has anyone heard of a RV101 class before? I'm assuming if we go by one of the bigger dealers we can inquire about one."

"RVeducation101" is a web site. Check it out. lots of information.
Do check the manufacture date on the tires.
Learn how to do a search on this forum for information.
Then go have fun

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2013, 08:53 AM   #16

Your camping experience will be great place to start. I'm sure that after every tenting/camping trip you kept your camping stuff together so that you would not forget something on your next trip (been there done that). Same goes with your new motorhome. Pack it and leave it in the MH. The last thing you want to do is to have to pack the MH every time you use it. Everything from cutlery to cork screws, toaster to blender. What ever you use at home as per regular also load your MH with it. During our camping season (hard to imagine now at -30) my wife and I even leave the clothes that we use camping, in the MH. when we get back from a weekend we wash them and then back in the MH they go. Seems simplistic but here's the benefit. Friday work comes to an end, you go home, turn the key of the MH and you go. I have friends that only travel a couple of weeks a year (also the ones that say it is alot of trouble to load their rig up) and it makes me think that their rig is a pretty big expense to sit in the driveway. We are not even close to full timers but last season we logged 77 nights in our MH. That kind of useage justifies the expense of owning a rig. Make a list of what you have forgotten each trip, hit up a dollar store, thrift store, wal-mart etc and get it in the rig. Trust me there will always be something. Example, one thing we saw on our travels last year was a number of people using slow cookers. Well now in our rig for next season (found a second slow cooker we had in the kitchen cupboard that we didn't realize we even had lol). Another thing we do is when ever we take something out of the MH, we make a list of what we took and leave the list on our table in the MH.(example, we emptied all the food stuff for the winter months so when we did all items when on the list so that they can be replentished before first trip in the spring, example peanut butter, coffee, tea, sugar, etc). Hope this has been of some assistance and safe travels and adventures with your new rig.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:37 PM   #17

Drive it and have fun!

Take it for a shakedown trip to a campground close by. Try everything. And use this forum for questions. They've been great for responding to questions and have helped me numerous times.
The more you use your Motorhome, the more comfortable and confident you will get.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:24 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
First stop needs to be a tire store. You are riding on time bombs.

Ken
Old 01-19-2013, 10:49 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
First stop needs to be a tire store. You are riding on time bombs.

Ken
She doesn't say whether the tires have ever been replaced, so it would definitely be a good decision to check the dates on the tires.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:32 PM   #20

great place to start is to read all the manuals that hopefully came with your mh. i spent about eight hours reading mine when i first got my mh. gives lots of info specific to your mh. this forum is a great place to ask specific questions as there are a wealth of info and great people who are willing to help you through your journey. i for one am very grateful to all the folks who offer their years of knowledge. cheers to all and good luck.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:40 PM   #21

I don't know the age of the tires yet. But I do understand the importance completely. That's why we are taking it in and having it checked from front to back. We want to know the full conditions of everything. And tires are not something I want to worry about.

Since I've always liked to camp I do have a camping "trunk" with my must haves that I believe the MH will now be the owner of. I like the suggestions of leaving a list that I write down what I remove.

I did buy my first couple of books this weekend and finished the what "NOT" to do and now I'm going over the book about the basics. My husband wants a set of DVDs to watch so I'll be researching for that. The store we went to was out of those.

I'm curious, how many people who read this, invest in a cover for their MH and the weathering when not in use? I live in Texas so we don't get an abnormal amount of snow or anything. Just extreme heat. I've seen what it can do to a boat.

Thanks again!! :-)
Old 01-23-2013, 09:40 PM   #22

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
She doesn't say whether the tires have ever been replaced, so it would definitely be a good decision to check the dates on the tires.
True, original tires should be replaced, newer ones at least inspected.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:14 PM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As far as lists go, you might give something like Dropbox a try. We keep a RV list in it and can view or update it from any of our devices like tablet or smartphone. Its just a text document we leave in Dropbox. In the store, scratch it off the list. Somewhere else and realize you need something, add it to the list so the next time you are in the needed store you can get it. Either of us can update it so that makes it really useful. There are others such as Evernote. Some you pay for extra abilities, some you don't or you don't need to.
tlkhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:18 PM   #24

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMMiller View Post
I'm curious, how many people who read this, invest in a cover for their MH and the weathering when not in use? I live in Texas so we don't get an abnormal amount of snow or anything. Just extreme heat. I've seen what it can do to a boat.

Thanks again!! :-)
We live in Texas also and worried about that and don't have a garage built for it yet. I just couldn't see trying to man handle a cover over it and probably would cause some issues with the paint etc. So I found a place not too far that has covered parking so that all but the back is protected and also has electricity to keep the batteries topped off. Might think about that.
tlkhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:22 PM   #25

I like the idea of finding a place that has covered parking. Unfortunately our neighborhood seems to be completely filled everywhere I check. I can't keep it at our house unless we build a fence tall enough to hide it. And we've thought of buying an acre or so just to keep it near us but a friend is letting us keep it at their ranch. So I figured covering it would be the best.

On another newbie question, which I don't know if I should start another thread for this. We joined Good Sams. My husband was talking to someone that said Coach-Net has better benefits now. What's everybodys preference for RV roadside assistance programs? I've read it doesn't hurt ro have a couple. I saw AAA has an RV program too.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:29 PM   #26

First mistake already - dead batteries

We now have possession of the motorhome. It has been checked thoroughly, YES all new tires, new batteries, lots of little things checked and fixed, and quite a few thousand dollars later to make sure we'll be safely driving down the road. First drive was exciting to know we have a motorhome, and my husband said turning was easier than he was expecting.

SO the gentleman at the service repair place told us the best advice is if something is hard to do, you're probably doing it wrong. Makes sense.

BUT..... we have bought books and watched videos on as much as we can learn. Found the owner manual online, still don't have all of the books that came with it. We're still newbies and trying to figure out the do's and do not's. So it's only been sitting a week when my husband went to clean out the inside and all the batteries are dead. Which switches are we supposed to turn off when we leave it in storage?

Frustrated and still looking for RV education.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0100.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	402.5 KB
ID:	33555  
Old 02-16-2013, 01:41 PM   #27
Retired Fire Capt

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Congrats on your new to you MH. We are also new MH owners and I being the researcher have built my own owners manual. It includes manuals for all the sub-assemblies and major components. We joined Good Sam for insurance and roadside assistance. We also joined Excapees RV Club. They use the abbreviation of SKP. Good Sam members get membership at half off the regular price. So for 35 bucks you become a member with many benefits. One of those is access to their educational resources. They hold boot camps and conduct load and balance analysis on your coach. Escapees RV Club

We also purchased a book through them entitled "The RVer's Ultimate Survival Guide" by Neil W. LeKander. It is a great resource that gives some great information for RVer's.

Good luck
GS#819681685 FMCA#F437136 SKP#112720
phinneyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:59 PM   #28

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In my opinion if you have successfully "tent camped" you will have no problem camping in a motorhome! Take time at your house to set up your camper,hook up to water and electricity . Try out all the systems you will use at the campground and get familiar with them (hot water heater,stove,furnace,a/c,floor jacks,awning,slides). Maybe a local campground for the weekend would be a good idea. If your not familiar with driving such a big vehicle keep your mileage under 200 for the day until you get more comfortable. I wish you the best of luck and welcome to irv2.

Tags
motorhome