Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2013, 03:35 PM   #1

New to us Motorhome - Need advice

So my husband and I have purchased our first motorhome, a 35' Cruisemaster Georgie Boy. We are both super excited about our new adventures ahead of us. We are also RV novices, so I'm the researcher trying to get my hands on any information I can on what we need, what we need to know, etc. I was told there are classes we can go to kind of get our feet wet on the basics of RVing. Can anyone guide me in the right direction of books, classes, websites? I have done plenty of tent camping but this will be totally new.

Thanks for any information!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2013, 03:39 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to IRV2. There are many books on Rving101. I'm sure our members will have some good recommendations for you.

Good luck , enjoy and post pics of that new baby
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:44 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
WELCOME TO IRV2

There is a few threds around here with alot of good info.

Hope you enjoy the RV lifestyle and have good and safe travels
Old 01-18-2013, 03:50 PM   #4

Just stay connected to this Forum and you will learn a ton of info.!

Stano
Stano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:21 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
some dealers give driving n maint classes. ask around. have fun!

WORKHORSE W-22
cannon man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:36 PM   #6

Also Welcome and enjoy. The forum will be a great assistance in your learning. Give us some specifics on your MH, year, chassis, engine, etc. When asking specific questions make sure you have model # and make. Also try searching the forum for topics.

You can also go to Rvbasic.com for information. I found them very helpful.

Enjoy your new toy.
Arnold
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:09 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you haven't taken delivery yet, record the walk-through to video. It's hard to remember how everything works.
RedWing Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:25 PM   #8

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your first motorhome. As far as DVDs, books, etc. on the web, I have found RVEducation 101 to be very insightful. I purchased several DVDs from this site when we started RVing back in 2008. We are still learning and hope to share what we learn with others if necessary.

Since you have experience "tenting" you will find the transition to a Class A to be a great plus. Tinker, poke and ask questions whenever possible. I have even approached other RVers and have asked about a particular matter and their response has been welcome.

Are you mechanically inclined? You'll need to fix stuff on these motorhomes because that's just the nature of the game; however, you will be fine. Just keep it real and do not be totally discouraged when systems go haywire.

I have used and will continue to use RV forums, fellow campers and tinkering to find out as much as possible.

Best of luck.

Old 01-18-2013, 05:36 PM   #9
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
Welcome...

Did you buy from a dealer or private party?

How old are the tires? I replaced the ten year old tires on my, new to me, motor home just because they were ten years old.

More info on your motor home would help with things to look at.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:03 PM   #10

Set it up and Camp at home, great way to learn about your coach.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TdogKing View Post
Set it up and Camp at home, great way to learn about your coach.
X2.. If you can't camp in your yard, get a spot for 2>3 nights as close to home as you can so you can run home for those forgoten items.
AND.. never be afraid to ask for help , here or in an RV park, we were all beginers at one time.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:14 PM   #12

Thanks everybody!! I don't know all the answers about the engine and chassis yet. It's a 2000 with only 13,000 miles. We are buying it from a private party (actually a family member) in A+ condition. We are taking it to a RV place to have it looked over from front to back so we can fix anything or update anything that needs to be changed. My husband thought it needed tires but after looking at them again thinks they only need air. But I will feel more comfortable having it looked over completely.

I did read on another thread in here about camping a weekend in our yard. So we thought that was a great idea and will be doing that before taking it on our first adventure.

Has anyone heard of a RV101 class before? I'm assuming if we go by one of the bigger dealers we can inquire about one.

I'm especially glad I found this forum. It looks like I can find a bunch of my information and browse topics for things I didn't even know I needed to know.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:28 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Hello and welcome! Congrats on the new RV. The men and women on this site are incredibly helpful and friendly. Keep looking around the site and you will find an answer to almost all your questions and if you don't, just ask someone here will have an answer. Good luck and make sure the Tires are newly replaced if it is a 2000 and not many miles the tires will look great, but....better safe than sorry.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMMiller View Post
Thanks everybody!! I don't know all the answers about the engine and chassis yet. It's a 2000 with only 13,000 miles. We are buying it from a private party (actually a family member) in A+ condition. We are taking it to a RV place to have it looked over from front to back so we can fix anything or update anything that needs to be changed. My husband thought it needed tires but after looking at them again thinks they only need air. But I will feel more comfortable having it looked over completely....text deleted....
With only 13000 miles, it's very possible that this motorhome has the original tires manufactured in 1999 or 2000. If you don't know how to read the date code on the tires, check the link below for an illustration. Most of us run tires for only 7 or 8 years. A blowout can cause some damage to the motorhome, and should be avoided if possible.

Tire Tech Information - Determining the Age of a Tire

Camping in the back yard is a great way to learn what you forgot to pack.

Enjoy your new motorhome.

Fred

Tags
motorhome