Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2015, 05:20 PM   #1

New trouble with an old toilet..

My old Thetford Aqua Magic Galaxy/Starlite toilet finally gave up, almost. It's hard flushing symptom was caused by a rusted through metal hinge supporting the foot pedal. And it wasn't going to keep working for much longer. So, began the arduous process of trying to find a replacement toilet that would fit on the pedestal made for it. So I need a short toilet if I want to avoid woodworking and plumbing.

Ran across a Thetford chart that showed the Bravura as an exact replacement. I called them and asked, and they verified the Bravura was the right one.

But, just for kicks, (it's the engineer in me) I thought I would make sure and soon found a PDF online which gave dim's, let's compare:

1: My old Galaxy - 11 1/4" H X 15 1/2" W X 19" D
2: The Bravura - 17 7/8" H X 16 9/16"W X 20 3/16"D

Wow, they could not be further off! In my case, height is the critical dim and the Bravura is 6 & 5/8" TALLER than my old toilet. Yikes, over 6" taller! I would need a step stool. And it's off in the other two dims a tad too. That is NOT what I call an exact replacement.

I figured I was missing something and checked the docs, but there's no explanation I can find for that huge discrepancy.

Back to the PDF and I find that the Aqua V is much closer to my old toilet:

3: The Aqua V: 14" H X 15 1/8" W X 17 1/8" D.

Much closer. Only 2 & 3/4" taller. The other dims are almost exactly like, or better then, my old toilet. After installing, one issue I've found is that the mounting bolts are at 90° to the long axis of the toilet where in the old Aqua Magic they were at a 45° angle. Don't see an easy way to turn the interface, so I just drilled a couple holes in the new toilet and wood screwed it in place. Works nice now.

Another issue is that with the lid closed (or open), the vanity drawer won't open all the way. I can still get stuff out of there, but I can't get the drawer all the way out.

But, at least I have a brand new working toilet now.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2015, 06:16 PM   #2

Toilet floor flange repair kit would have taken care of re-positioning of hold down
bolts vs drilling holes thru toilet
Lowe's, Hoe Depot, ACE etc.

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 06:31 PM   #3

I grabbed the flange and twisted it to the 90 degree position. Then I screwed it down.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 07:40 AM   #4

I was hoping for some info like that, thanks Old-Bisquit. Isn't that kit for when the flange is busted though? Mine is in good shape. Would I cut mine out and replace it with two of those kits? Should my flange unscrew or something? I'm not sure how I'd use them.

Twinboat: I was wondering about that, but when I tried to turn mine, it wouldn't budge...and I was worried about trying to reef on it. Reason is I'm heading into Mexico tomorrow and didn't want to contend with a major repair of the toilet flange to plastic holding tank interface. In the event I broke something.

So, anyone, is it typical for RV toilet flanges that they can be turned without damaging anything?

Thanks!

BTW, the two small drill holes in the base of the toilet are hardly noticeable.

Old 12-11-2015, 05:35 AM   #5

It looks like replacement tanks come without holes. You need to drill them where you need them.

They sell assorted size rubber gromets for the connections.

Could be why I could turn mine. Had to try something, before driving 20 miles back to town.
Old 12-12-2015, 11:14 AM   #6

Ahh, Twinboat, it sounds as though you have a different brand or style of toilet. Mine DOES have standard mounting holes, one on each side, that slip over brass toilet bolts (they send those along with the toilet). And my flange is a standard plastic flange. I just can't recall if they screw on the pipe or if it's plastic welded.

I'm down in San Felipe now and next time I bike ride into town, I'll stop at a hardware store and see what those flanges look like. Maybe mine is a screw on and I need to twist on it harder...

Old 12-12-2015, 02:39 PM   #7

My old toilet ( Galaxy ) had 45 degree toilet bolts. Had to use a long swivel extension thru top to get at one. Other was under pedal.

New toilet ( Bravura ? ) needed toilet bolts 90 degrees ( right and left side like a house toilet ). I turned the pipe and flange to 90 degrees.
Old 12-13-2015, 08:49 AM   #8

So, Twinboat, you're describing my situation to a 'T'.

But I'm still curious...do you know if the flange is screwed on? You say you turned the flange and pipe. Were you able to just turn it by hand? Or did you need a tool?

If you turned the flange & pipe, doesn't that suggest that you have a loose fitting pipe going into the tank? That's not good is it? For sewer gases to accumulate under the floor? Or is there a threaded (3"?) sewer pipe connector on the tank?

Old 12-13-2015, 10:40 AM   #9

It turned real hard with 2 hands but felt like it was in a rubber bushing. It didn't get harder or easier during the turn.

I did it in the spring and full timed in it until November. Didn't notice any odors.

The water valve rotted away on the original 1999 model.