Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-18-2014, 05:11 PM   #1
New Twist to Tire Question

I know the rule of thumb is to replace tires after 7 yrs no matter if they still look new or have little miles on them. But let me ask you all this:

My 'new' 1985 Vogue has 10 tires, 2 front and 8 rear due to it being twin axled. It makes total sense to me to have new good tires on the front, but what about the rears which are 05's and that look great still. Do you have to be equally concerned about a blowout to a rear tire when there are 8 of them? If one did go flat or blew out, wouldn't the remaining 7 be safe enough to get you down the highway to the next tire shop. Or would you still be concerned about losing control if 1 of the 8 rears would go out on you?

Who wants to put their 2 cents in on this one?

SissyBoyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2014, 05:22 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I would be more concerned about body damage with a tread coming off.

07 Meridian 34H 350 Cat
2010 Subaru Forester Tow
Home Port is Kingman,Az
KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 05:23 PM   #3
Ford Super Duty Owner
I kind of agree with your line of thinking. Even with a regular coach with just four on the back. If you loose one you still have three to get you to a repair facility. That happened to me once when I hit a big hole and 300 miles later the tire was gone. It probably lost it's air when I hit the bad bump but i didn't know until the tire flew apart. When it did we just slowed down and got to the next exit and got a new tire.

One minor problem. If you had a TPMS and just removed the tire , slowed down you'd probably be OK. If you didn't know about the low tire when they do blow (sometimes) they do a lot of damage to the surrounding fiberglass.

I have also heard that the 7 year rule is a bit of a knee jerk reaction to the lawyer thing. Michelin will even perform re-treads on carcasses that are old but still in good shape. It really depends on how the tire was treated. Was it subjected to running several miles with low pressure overheating the tire and perhaps causing internal ply problems??

Ooops, I started posting before poster #2 posted. By the time I was done he got in ahead of me. Oh well at least we both came up with the same concern.

Kind of like a CRAP SHOOT, you just take your chances.

TeJay (Tim) Auto Instructor 35 yrs (4-yrs USAF) Liz: RN/ WBGO 2014 Vista 30T/ F-53/ CHF/5-Star/Koni/Centramatics * Bella- Golden/Cocker mix & Louie-The cat / All Retired
TeJay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 05:31 PM   #4
Country Coach Owners Club
My rears are 7 years old and my fronts are 4 years old so I'm kind of in the same boat. I planed on buying 6 Bridgestons this spring but a leak in a $1200 radiator kind of smashed that plan.
92TNTRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 05:42 PM   #5
looking good on the outside has nothing to do with the inside ! and not worth placing your health in jeprody or others, or damage to your RV should a tire seperate.
Don and Nancy
[2014 40QBH Phaeton, 2015 Buick Enclave, 2yr old sisters Sara n Kaycee, Havanese, Two Segways
djbmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:24 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
looking good on the outside has nothing to do with the inside ! and not worth placing your health in jeprody or others, or damage to your RV should a tire seperate.
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:43 PM   #7
Front tires are a health thing. Rear tires are not, its just money. However a blowout on an outer rear can, as suggested, do several thousands in damage and sideline your rig for a month or two (or three, or four...) waiting on parts, paint, blah, blah, blah. At a moment's notice.

I've had two blowouts, both inner rear DS. I was lucky both times to get same day tire service. On a weekend, evening, or just at quitting time you're usually screwed. A long way from tire dealers, you are screwed unless you have the spare & just need it mounted which increases flexibility.

And when Good Sam sends somebody, make darn sure they know they are dealing w/22.5" tires that require truck tire service. They sent an booger eating moron w/inadequate tools & knowledge.
Baja-tested '08 2-slide 36'
Alpine: The Ultimate DIY'er Project
EngineerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:52 PM   #8
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Michelin's recommendation is to have a professional inspect the tires starting at 5 years and replacement at 10 years if no defects are found during the inspections. I have attached Michelin's recommendations for RV tire life.... http://www.michelinrvtires.com/miche...r-RV-Tires.pdf

As others have indicated the issue to be concerned with is damage if there is a blow out or failure resulting in tread separation.
Brad & Bonnie
2007 Monaco LaPalma 36DBD
Bfmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:08 PM   #9
Huh...do you ever wonder how much force comes out of a blown tire at 65 MPH. If it is an inside dual it definately has enough force to rip apart an inside wheel well/refrifgerator or anything else that is in it's way when it blows. The damage that happens is "luck"....better to weight your odds and keep your tires fresh. I think the 7 year rule definatley carries some "fudge" room leaning to the manufacturer so you have to ananlyze the shape of your tires at 7 years. Better safe than sorry.
DA_BUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 11:04 PM   #10
Everybody tosses this blowout thing at 7yr and 10yr, these things can blowout the day you put them on. I drove truck for a living and if you take care of your tires, keep them covered when standing for months on end, make sure they are inflated properly at all times they are not going to explode at 7yr & 1 day or 10yr & 1 day. If I bought Michelin the company and told everyone they had to replace their tires every two years I bet there would be people on here swearing to people that is the proper thing to do. Man this gets old. Thanks for letting me vent.
George & Jerri
06 GT 340TSSE
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 12:36 AM   #11
Originally Posted by SissyBoyBob View Post
I know the rule of thumb is to replace tires after 7 yrs no matter if they still look new or have little miles on them.

Who wants to put their 2 cents in on this one?
My two cents ......... you stated you have 9 year old tires. Yes you can limp along on one dual with a flat beside it. Most RVs run near capacity so the extra tire is bearing way too much weight and damage will be done to that tire.

Not to mention the important stuff. With any blowout there is a chance of an accident. When a tire comes apart at highway speed, the debris may contact expensive and sometimes hard to get parts that always involve a delay getting repaired.

So we know the rule of thumb, have older tires than that, chance of damage, accident, delays, or maybe worse. All the best to you as you make your decision.
George R. - Fulltiming since January '03
2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 3991
2012 Chevy Malibu LT1
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 01:24 AM   #12
I've had a couple of rear tire blowouts. In my first year of ownership I figured the tires looked fine and could probably get another year out of them. One did some cosmetic damage to the fender well and compartments. The other did some damage to electrical wiring. Didn't really effect handling at all and I was able to limp to a safe place to park. Received good ERA and was back on the road within a few hours.

But this was really not a fun experience for a family holiday. Lucky I carry a spare and was able to make it to my destination. After the first blowout I bought new steer tires and moved those to the tag after the second one I bought 6 new rears. I am pretty sure I'll be replacing them all at about 7 years

That's my experience...Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1397892210.635537.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	697.6 KB
ID:	60871Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1397892277.562317.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	716.1 KB
ID:	60872

96 Bounder 36S 460. Pulling as many quads as I can fit on the trailer or get started!
97 Fleetwood Bounder 36S on F53 chassis 460 with as many quads on the trailer that I can fit or get running!
Quaddinmad40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:50 AM   #13
Tiffin Owners Club
And what about damage to your towed vehicle if you have a blowout in the rear? I saw what happened to a coach and the toad when a rear inside dual blew - that blowout took out the back end of the coach along with a lot of wiring and tore the toad apart in the front. He had pulled over to the side of the road with no power and we stopped to see if we could help. What a mess! I won't chance it - no way!
Mel (Melanie) and Harry
2009 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Melmoses is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:02 AM   #14
I would suggest is depends on how you travel. If you have your whole family strapped in, and your racing from point A to point B for reservations. I would suggest you need to plan on high speed blow outs.. If your a full timer, retired and spend most of your time actually seeing the country from the back roads of America. Then you are good to go. Replace each pair of tires as one fails.....

homeless is offline   Reply With Quote