RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2019, 06:53 AM   #1

New - under $100k?

We've had past camping experience in a travel trailer, motorcycle camper, tent, etc. and are now in the process of researching Class As for a potential purchase in the next year. We've spent time watching a lot of videos and researching forums and really appreciate all the information experienced people are willing to share.

That said...we are looking for something 35ft or less and in this price range we realize it's going to have to be gas. We kind of prefer new, especially if there's a good warranty. One dealer/manufacturer has a 2 yr bumper to bumper. Won't be full timing...mostly a week or less at a time. We'll look to upgrade 8-10 years down the road after retirement.

Any recommendations? So far, we really liked the Jayco Precept 31UL. The Newmar Bay Sport was nice also (queen bed, really prefer a king). Looked at Winnebago Intent but was really impressed.

If you had to rank brands...I know Newmar, Tiffin...but then which would be at the top of your list?

Thanks!!

RUDOE91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2019, 07:01 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
I think if you get new, you will probably spend most of the first year fixing things. Might want to look at a 5-10 year old DP that is in good shape. Otherwise, Newmar is probably what I would go with.

DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 07:05 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Also, if this is your first RV ... really might want to rethink it and get a used unit. Quite a few of us bought new at the beginning - 24 FT Class C; traded in for a 36 ft Class A 2 years later; then 9 months later, traded that one in for our Entegra Anthem, that is actually better today than it was the day I bought it!

In otherwords, if you really decide this lifestyle is for you, you will want to go to a quaility unit pretty quickly.
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 07:05 AM   #4

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
I think if you get new, you will probably spend most of the first year fixing things. Might want to look at a 5-10 year old DP that is in good shape. Otherwise, Newmar is probably what I would go with.

Good advice.
RVRon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 07:09 AM   #5

I think you're asking for low quality and problems if you shop new in that budget. Those will be products that were purposefully designed to hit a price point. A warranty does have value, but I'd rather a product that doesn't rely on a warranty to sell units.

We ended up shopping for over a year to find our 2011 Tiffin gasser. No, it isn't new, but for that I get to smile every time I compare prices.

I have little use of ours so far, but we did just do an 8k mile trip that was about as tough a drive as you'll find. We didn't have one single issue. Where's that wood?....knock, knock.
Rolling Ragu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 07:56 AM   #6

I purchased a 2015 Jayco precept 31 ul it was nine months old with less than four thousand miles on it the previous owner took care of whatever issues there was . The only time I had to bring it back for repairs was because mice chewed on some wiring causing me to learn how to manually retract the three slides,hope I never have to do that again. So far no other problems and I am very happy with it however we use it only on weekend trips and occasional week long vacations most of which is within a hundred mile radius of home . There are better made units out there but I liked the floor plan the best because with the slides in you can access all parts of motor home while on the road ,if you want a snack from the frig or someone needing the restroom you don’t have to pull over or stop and open a slide . So floor plan is to me the most important thing because if you don’t like the floor plan you will in up tradings for another one within the first year,
chef 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 08:12 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I purchased a Thor ACE 30.3 new in 2017 for $88k and have enjoyed it for 18,000 miles on it to date.
Have had only a couple minor issues that I solved myself. I did spend about $6k on improvements to fit my needs and lifestyle.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3484.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	442.7 KB
ID:	255714
RBC2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 08:12 AM   #8

I would agree with the advice to look for a 10-15 year old DP. But...finding 1 that has been very well cared for is like a needle in a stack of anything but needles. If you take your time you can find 1 cared for by a retired guy that likes to fix and upgrade stuff constantly. Would be a much better value than a new gasser. But equally hard to find.

A new gasser you walk into the dealer and order and finance what you want. Easy peasy.

-E
Old 08-04-2019, 08:21 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Beware of "extended warranties". They are only as good as the company behind them and the ability to get service. Our friends bought a new Jayco 2 years ago with an extended warranty and they are still getting things fixed. They are finding it hard to locate service dealers who are willing to accept the terms of of the extended warranty provider.
Poppy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 08:43 AM   #10

A brand new Newmar Bay Sport will run you approx $140k. Here is an add for a 2018 model (albeit with 70k miles) for $99k.

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/201...307-5008134789

Just a peak at the possible depreciation hit you will take buying new. Not only will you avoid the big deprec hit buying slightly used, but the one you buy (with adequate due diligence) will have most or all of the problems corrected. Also, beware of the easy payment plans offered by dealers for new units, especially with 20-yr financing.

Good luck on your search and keep us updated during the adventure.
P.S. Although many of us here prefer older DP's, one size does not fit all.
Delaware beaches ----- DW & Kip the Wonder Dog
Sandy Swede is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 09:00 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Swede View Post
A brand new Newmar Bay Sport will run you approx $140k. Here is an add for a 2018 model (albeit with 70k miles) for $99k.

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/201...307-5008134789

Just a peak at the possible depreciation hit you will take buying new. Not only will you avoid the big deprec hit buying slightly used, but the one you buy (with adequate due diligence) will have most or all of the problems corrected. Also, beware of the easy payment plans offered by dealers for new units, especially with 20-yr financing.

Good luck on your search and keep us updated during the adventure.
P.S. Although many of us here prefer older DP's, one size does not fit all.

140k for a bay star sport is inaccurate. You can get a canyon star in that price range. You're talking MSRP, take 25% off that price right out of the gate.

Like others have said get your price point. Id buy either a newmar or a tiffin used before buying anything else new.
Old 08-04-2019, 09:07 AM   #12

I never understand why there are so many who say to avoid the new entry level units. Our Fleetwood was bought new and is considered an entry level yet we have had very few issues with it and never was a trip interrupted because of a needed repair. When it was time for a repair we simply scheduled the appointment with the shop we use, they took care of all of the communications with Fleetwood during the warranty period and the issues were fixed without drama or delay. We even used the extended warranty we purchased for a few items after the manufacture warranty expired and they accepted the claim with zero hassle or denials. All coaches will have repairs that will be needed at some point or another and quite frankly I think using the term “quality” coach is very subjective at best unless you are referring to the incredibly high end coaches that few here own. Perhaps we have a unicorn or have been very fortunate but we have talked to many owners and friends of other “quality” units that have had way more substantial issues with their coaches vs what we have had. Someone who is new to the motorhome world would be well advised to be cautious of buying a used DP on a limited budget and knowledge of a DP,, unless they have a high degree of mechanical abilities. Gas coaches also have their issues and downfalls but you cannot deny the cost and complexity to repair a diesel vs gas is markedly different. As for the box that sits on top, they are all fairly similar with some differences in finishes unless again we are talking about very high end units and even then issues will be present and not applicable to this budget range. Your mileage will vary but for us anyway and our needs it has worked out great buying a new entry level gas coach and being the only ones to have used the bed, bathrooms, kitchen, maintenance, upgrades, etc. Your specific needs may be different but I wouldn’t totally write off a new entry level coach without first taking a look at a few to see if they are a fit for your needs and budget. Good luck in your search and have fun, lots to see and research out there!
BlueThunder4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 09:42 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
Amen. We all have heard of folks with top of the line Class A that spend the months in the shop getting repaired.
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 01:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderson2228 View Post
140k for a bay star sport is inaccurate. You can get a canyon star in that price range. You're talking MSRP, take 25% off that price right out of the gate.

Like others have said get your price point. Id buy either a newmar or a tiffin used before buying anything else new.

I thought that the internet listing reflected the 25 - 30% dealer discount as per the one advertised here.
https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/201...226-5007102550
If that is not so, I stand corrected.

Delaware beaches ----- DW & Kip the Wonder Dog
Sandy Swede is online now   Reply With Quote