Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2013, 12:20 PM   #15

Carolina Campers
On the dash, my button for starting the gas generator has two ends. You push the top of the button for starting the generator. You push the bottom of the button, and hold it for a few seconds to pump gas back to the generator in order to prime it before starting. I am just wondering if you may have not primed the generator and that is why it is not starting.

Good luck.

Ted
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2013, 12:23 PM   #16

Sounds like the chassis (starter) battery is weak and either needs a good charge or may need to be replaced. Since you just bought a used unit it may be worth removing both (all ) batteries and have them tested.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:26 PM   #17

Carolina Campers
FYI - My jacks will not work if my batteries are lower than 12.3v (or something like that). I have to charge the battery first if that is the case.
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:52 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
FYI - My jacks will not work if my batteries are lower than 12.3v (or something like that). I have to charge the battery first if that is the case.
YAY! It was the batteries. I found another post that suggested starting the generator and then using the Boost button to start the engine. IT WORKED!

Now the leveling system works too.

Thanks EVERYONE for all of your wonderful advice.
janiemort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 04:13 PM   #19

Yes the genny uses the house batteries to start. House batteries run everything in the coach as in lights, power vents, electric slides, porch lights and inverter. Chassis batteries start main engine, outside lights (as in headlights, turn signals, clearance lights) and leveling (power gear). With a working BIRD, all batteries are charged will on shore power, genny, and chassis alternator .
GregOk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:09 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks iRV2 Forum People

Thanks again for your help. I wrote a blog post about my little troubleshooting session and thought you might get a kick out of it

Zen and the Art of RV Maintenance…, er Troubleshooting | We3InAnRV
Old 05-19-2013, 06:24 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Just read your blog, fun read. Nice looking motor home & the grass will turn green again!!!
Another suggestion if I may. When plugging in your motor home to shore power, you must remember that when everything comes on in your motor home such as the air conditioner, refrigerator, a few lights, the hot water heater, ect, ect, you are most likely pulling more than 30 amps with the motor home alone. Then add in a few items in your house on the same circuit you pop the circuit breaker. It is advisable to have the shore power on its own 30 amp circuit. I realize this is not easy to do & may require an electrician to wire in a dedicated circuit for the shore power. So my advise to you is to use the shore power circuit wisely. Only turn on what is absolutely needed in the motor home & the house at the same time. The air conditioner uses a higher amount of electricity amperage when it turns itself on.

Best of luck to you. Very glad you figured out your genny & leveling problems.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:28 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbike View Post
Another suggestion if I may. When plugging in your motor home to shore power, you must remember that when everything comes on in your motor home such as the air conditioner, refrigerator, a few lights, the hot water heater, ect, ect, you are most likely pulling more than 30 amps with the motor home alone. Then add in a few items in your house on the same circuit you pop the circuit breaker. It is advisable to have the shore power on its own 30 amp circuit. I realize this is not easy to do & may require an electrician to wire in a dedicated circuit for the shore power. So my advise to you is to use the shore power circuit wisely. Only turn on what is absolutely needed in the motor home & the house at the same time. The air conditioner uses a higher amount of electricity amperage when it turns itself on.
Now that is some good information. I am just renting this house, so I should probably only plug it in to recharge the batteries. Thanks very much for that tip.

https://we3inanrv.com
Old 05-20-2013, 10:51 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Great story. This is the beginning of your love affair with your RV. Some times you just want to " _itch Slap" her but most of the time your will love her. Nice looking coach. Good luck and welcome aboard. You will find information here about everything RV related and lots more. Keep up us to date with your new love...
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:29 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by janiemort View Post
Now that is some good information. I am just renting this house, so I should probably only plug it in to recharge the batteries. Thanks very much for that tip.
You should be safe leaving it plugged in to charge the batteries & to go inside & turn on a few lights at a time with out needing to turn off everything in the house. You may also be able to keep the frig turned on. The best I can say is experiment and keep an eye on the breaker. If it pops you know you may need to reduce the appliances being used. One thing we always did was keep the hot water turned off. Not all hot water heaters are electric & gas. If you aren't staying in the rv you don't need to use the gas or electric for the hot water heater at that time. Saves money for more camping trips!!!
Old 05-20-2013, 07:00 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
It sure does sound like it is a battery issue, if they won't hold charge you might have to bite the big one and replace them. Hope they take charge and don't leave you stranded somewhere, good luck. Jim
Old 05-20-2013, 07:16 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Oh by the way just plug in the coach to shore ( house ) power and leave it plugged in overnite, that should charge the batteries. Don't run anything just plug it in to charge the batteries. You probably did this but just a thought. Jim