Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-02-2016, 01:15 PM   #1
New vs Old

In 20 plus years of owning 8 motor homes, the last six have been new. With the exception on one, they were just what I had hoped a new coach would be. Very few issues that I or the dealer had to deal with or correct. Our current 2013 is probably the best one yet. On the other hand, our son has had his 2016 45' Mountain Aire back to the factory twice for a total of eight weeks in the first seven months and it's not right yet. Freightliner has been no better at correcting their issues either. Now, Newmar is coming to get his coach because he is fed up with taking it back for them to correct their screwups.

I have always bought new because I did not want to deal with someone else's problems. It has worked for me, but I am starting to think that the quality and workmanship of a 10-15 year old Monaco or Country Coach may be a better choice than what you can get today. At a $300,000 or more savings, one could deal with whatever needed fixing. There are probably some bad ones out there, but there are just as many "Gems" too if you look hard enough. Even though we are happy with our 2013, I could own another home (that would not depreciate) and an older reliable motor home for what I have invested in it. We don't fulltime, but just use it to go between homes for the seasons along with a few side trips for a week at a time. A nice old CC or Monaco Signature would do the same thing. Just sayin!!!!

2013 43 QGP Allegro Bus
26' Enclosed trailer for toys
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2016, 02:09 PM   #2
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I camp with a group of about a dozen owners. Class A, C, fifth wheels and trailers. My ten year old coach that I acquired 5 years ago has yet to see the inside of a service center, house or chassis. My friends who purchased new each has been back to the dealer multiple times for several weeks each time getting multiple problems fixed. We're all handy man types that know how to take care of problems but what they have encountered was beyond their limits. The worst were factory installed water leaks (fresh, drains and roof) that caused further damage.

Last owner problems can be mitigated with profession third party inspections and buyer's diligences evaluating a potential purchase. My coach had a few maintenance related problems that need attention but overall nothing that ended a trip earlier or left us on the side of the road.

Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 05:52 PM   #3
I traded a almost new CC for a 5 year old 42' dynasty that the owner was a very FussyOldF@rt who documented and fixed anything and everything.

I just turned 100,000 this trip and my ISL 400 does a great job the Allison is happy and I have done a lot to interior because she wanted it not that I had to fix something except the not so cold, and service to the aquahot (not cheap).

Sheri & Don 2003 Dynasty 42" regal ISL 400
2007 Goldwing Trike Gmc 4X4 w/ autoloader for trike
Lets go we got it all loaded.
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:42 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think buying new is a gamble. RV quality is terribly inconsistent, even among high end brands. The chances of getting a brand new one full of issues is substantial, maybe as much as 15%-20% (1 in 5). Your have a warranty to cover the cost, but your RV may well be in the shop for weeks or months, since RV service is deplorable slow and often ineffective as well. I've owned two new ones and 5 used ones and the only really problematic one was one of the new ones (a 2002 gas motorhome). Took 9 months to get that one squared away, though we were able to continue using it all that time.

I personally think that buying used is no more risk than buying new, but I'll concede that some (many?) buyers can't or won't do enough "due diligence" in their purchase to separate the clunkers from the decent units. We stopped buying new and went to used, higher end rigs in good condition and find that works well for us. Your mileage may vary...
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 04:14 AM   #5
It's a complete crap shoot whether it's used or new. At least with a used one you don't take the depreciation hit, plus you should be able to get maint. records. I agree after going to the Tampa Super Show every year, it seems the quality leaves a lot to be desired. And QC is next to nonexistent.
2000 Dutch Star Pusher
2009 Saturn Vue Towed
Full timed for 6yrs.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 02:35 PM   #6
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have a 14 year old Navigator.

It has a 500HP Cummins ISM, tag axle, Aqua Hot and has been parked in climate controlled storage its entire life, one owner and all the service done by one shop...took me 16 months to find her.

I have done a lot of updating to electronics, countertops, new ultraleather on all chairs, couch, new Karastan carpet, new wood laminate entry, all LED lights inside and out, new tiled shower, new around the window things, new microwave, new dishwasher, got rid of all the mirrors and brass, all new tires and Bilstein shocks, etc.

Long story short, IMHO, a similar new or "newer" coach would cost at least three times what I have in her at this point. I have shopped around and seen what is out there new and used...everywhere...sometimes I think I should become an RV Broker.

I would seriously go quality used and update everything. Far cheaper and you get exactly what you want.
David and my Co-Pilot Pickles the Wonder Dog
2002 Holiday Rambler Navigator and 2014 CRV Toad
WK0P Monitoring 146.52 Mhz and CB Channel 13
UAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 04:44 PM   #7
Just bought a 2004 Discovery and glad I did. Wife and I looked at many NEW high end coaches to find many and very obvious quality issues. Our coach has 42K on her that is barely a break in. Prior owner took excellent care of her.

Ba patient and you will too find a gem. We looked for 8 months to find ours.
Good luck to you
discovery39s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:42 PM   #8
Did you by from private seller? If so why

michael huot is offline   Reply With Quote