Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2020, 03:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra 225 View Post
Yup, that one.
So I'm not crazy?[emoji16]
Thank you, I think it's a great coach.
I went from a Foretravel to a Newell, massive improvement, but moved to a house that could not fit a 45 footer, so went back to a 40 ft Foretravel. I do miss the Newell.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2020, 03:34 PM   #16

Country Coach Owners Club
If money were no object I would buy a 15 to 20 year old double slide high end coach and bring it back to new condition, plus an interior remodel and paint to current fashion. Pretty much what many boomers do with muscle cars. I like the quality of my coach from real outlets to 100% oak cabinets and trim. And of course there is the modern def etc. to be avoided at any costs. JMHO
Kodiakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 06:15 PM   #17

Manufacturing and technology have improved a lot just in the last 5 years. Money no object I would take the newest motorhome with the most technology.
Just look at the Gas motorhomes will have the Ford Godzilla 7.3 litre engine.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 07:24 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpounder View Post
Is there a better widget made today vs 20 years ago.

I think the Million Dollar coach has the same water heater the $300K one has and the one made 20 years ago, for example.
The night sky and wood camp fire are still the same.

If money was no object I would hang on to the old MH and sailboat because they come wonderful memories.

I would get get the same in New Zealand or maybe some other place that ends with land.

Was sitting around the fire pit with the other grandfather drinking beer. He was telling me about touring eastern Europe in his youth. I thought I might do that this summer. Of course now we will be drinking beer around the fire next summer waiting for the next bundle of joy.

I do think drive trains and tires are better than in the '70s. It would be hard to beat what I have now in the MH with a new one. It gets me to the campfire.
Old 01-07-2020, 08:24 PM   #19

Jcussin, What a ride.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 11:04 PM   #20

Quality

This is a subject that seems to ring the same for today's and yesterday's coaches.

I do not believe humans have a better or worst ability to drive a nail or screw yesterday or today.

Is there a new way to build a wall or roof?

Is a granite top a higher quality than a corian top or is this just a feature item.

From reading many stories, QC is awful for most if not all brands. Major builders have huge facilities at the factory to deal with warranty issues. Everything from separating walls to reversed hot and cold water pipes.

Does new technology mean better quality or is this one more item to fail.

I just dug a screw out of a hole that a big wiring loom went through. Its been there for 12 years. Are we sure that won't happen on a new coach from a so called high end manufacture?

Is the word "quality" a magic word we use to defend a purchase decision?

So I am back to my first question, is there any real difference new vs old and I should add in the way they are built and the parts & materials used?
gpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 11:15 PM   #21

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpounder View Post
Is there a better widget made today vs 20 years ago.

I think the Million Dollar coach has the same water heater the $300K one has and the one made 20 years ago, for example.
No, the high end coaches will have hydronic heating like an AquaHot.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 12:24 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcussen View Post
I went from a Foretravel to a Newell, massive improvement, but moved to a house that could not fit a 45 footer, so went back to a 40 ft Foretravel. I do miss the Newell.
Interesting, didn’t realize there was that much of a drop off between the Foretravel’s and the Newell’s.
Assuming there wasn’t a big age gap for comparison sake, what did you see that was the biggest difference?

Not to hijack the thread but seriously looking into the advantages of one of the big three in the 20 year range.
Prevost, Newell, or Foretravel.

Thanks for your input and opinions
Russ Potteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 06:16 AM   #23

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Manufacturing and technology have improved a lot just in the last 5 years. Money no object I would take the newest motorhome with the most technology.
Just look at the Gas motorhomes will have the Ford Godzilla 7.3 litre engine.
Not to be argumentative but.............modern manufacturing improvements have NOT seen their way into the RV industry.

I come from a manufacturing background and I can say for a fact that modern manufacturing processes and quality processes such as "Lean Manufacturing" or "SixSigma" are not even discussed nevermind planned or most importantly implemented in the RV industry anywhere i have seen.....most companies do not even adhere to the much lower ISO 9001 manufacturing processes.

RVs are built today in very much the same way Automobiles were built in the 60's when you were LUCKY to have a car stay together for 100K miles.

It is true that manufacturing and quality gains are being realized on most industries but if this was the case we would not see the high numbers of issues associated with almost every new product coming off the line
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 08:41 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul65k View Post
Not to be argumentative but.............modern manufacturing improvements have NOT seen their way into the RV industry.

I come from a manufacturing background and I can say for a fact that modern manufacturing processes and quality processes such as "Lean Manufacturing" or "SixSigma" are not even discussed nevermind planned or most importantly implemented in the RV industry anywhere i have seen.....most companies do not even adhere to the much lower ISO 9001 manufacturing processes.

RVs are built today in very much the same way Automobiles were built in the 60's when you were LUCKY to have a car stay together for 100K miles.

It is true that manufacturing and quality gains are being realized on most industries but if this was the case we would not see the high numbers of issues associated with almost every new product coming off the line
Just for the sake of discussion you read the forums and see all the issues due to aging of motor homes and components. There have been many advances and all you have to do is look at a 20 year span in Motor Homes

I have had Motor Homes and campers for over 55 years and have yet to have one that didn't have issues that required attention

Due to the volume of or lack of it actually comparing Motor Homes to any other high volume production line just isn't ever going to be apples to apples

Sure there is room for improvement but it comes at a price that would never result in a cost saving overall. Most all of the issues I have had and many of the others noted on the forums comes from sloppy work from employees that either aren't properly trained or are not supervised closely but primarily just don't give a darn. That is a problem in many industries.

Can you imagine how quickly the Motor Home industry would come to a quick halt if the workers received even 1/2 the average pay of the auto workers union?

We simply are not in the same league due to volume and the fact the Motor Home isn't in the same league as transportation that is necessary for many for their daily activities.

So bottom line I agree we haven't seem all the things that started way back with Deming and moving forward the past 30 plus years.

You can currently pay upwards of a million or more and get a jump in quality and overall better workmen-ship but most of us really either cant afford or don't want to pay that much to go camping.
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 09:48 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
No, the high end coaches will have hydronic heating like an AquaHot.
Aqua-Hot was founded in 1984 so that system is not new and some would argue it is not a better system, just different. Yes many of the high end builds use this and sell it as better but is it?

This all in one system has it's own problems. When broken your really broke down.
gpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 10:20 AM   #26

Everyone can see what we bought in my signature. We discussed buying new and inspected about 10, then inspected this limited production MH, decision made on the spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcussen View Post
https://www.motorhomesoftexas.com/Pr...59650?ref=list
This one? Don't think you will find any new, or almost new coach with the quality of that 13 yr old Newell, at $344000
Misprints?? 35A generator, 6 8D house batteries.

That MH would be a lifetime purchase for me.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 10:21 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Potteng View Post
Interesting, didn’t realize there was that much of a drop off between the Foretravel’s and the Newell’s.
Assuming there wasn’t a big age gap for comparison sake, what did you see that was the biggest difference?

Not to hijack the thread but seriously looking into the advantages of one of the big three in the 20 year range.
Prevost, Newell, or Foretravel.

Thanks for your input and opinions
Actually, quite a bit of difference. Have had Vogue's, Bluebird's, bus conversions and of course the Newell and 4 different Foretravels. They were all older models, in the 20 year range.
I do all my own work and modifications, and have found that you get what you pay for. The 2000 320 series Foretravel was about $500000 new, while the 2000 Newell was $850000+
It is more about design and construction than actual components.
Of course today the big Foretravel starts at one million and the Newell at two million.
You are quite right to look for a top of the line coach of that era. Really can't expect today's $450000 coaches to be built to the same standards, or have the same quality.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:19 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Everyone can see what we bought in my signature. We discussed buying new and inspected about 10, then inspected this limited production MH, decision made on the spot.

Misprints?? 35A generator, 6 8D house batteries.

That MH would be a lifetime purchase for me.
No, generator had 35 amp alternator for charging house batteries when running. 6 8D batteries on not unusual on most Newells. A lot of Newells are all electric.