Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2020, 01:21 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Thanks for explaining to me, it's evident I've never been up close to a top end MH. No wonder that MH is so heavy,just all the batteries are over 1,000#.
Yes. The generator on that one is a 20Kw. Some coaches have 8 house batteries.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2020, 01:38 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I never mentioned age of the unit nor when it was founded. What does that have to do with it?
Having had both I will take the AquaHot over a propane water heater.
Have had aqua-hots in 3 different coaches, with no problems. The people that do have problems, probably don't exercise it monthly, or do not do the yearly maintenance which is a $35 nozzle and filter change.
Can't beat the quiet even heat, endless hot water, and on many models, engine preheating and water heating by engine, so house water is hot after a drive.
The Newell has both a 110 volt element and a 220 volt element, so unless it is really cold, can run on electric only with no diesel, and of course, no propane use.
Old 01-10-2020, 05:09 AM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcussen View Post
Have had aqua-hots in 3 different coaches, with no problems. The people that do have problems, probably don't exercise it monthly, or do not do the yearly maintenance which is a $35 nozzle and filter change.
Can't beat the quiet even heat, endless hot water, and on many models, engine preheating and water heating by engine, so house water is hot after a drive.
The Newell has both a 110 volt element and a 220 volt element, so unless it is really cold, can run on electric only with no diesel, and of course, no propane use.
Like ^^^^ I’ve had 3 hydronic heating systems and it is on my MUST HaVE list. I DO NOT do a yearly maintenance as most of the time I do not run the diesel boiler very much ...engine or electric element provides all the heat/hot water I need. With a single electric element I replaced the nozzle about every 3-4 years and the filter 6-8 years. With the 600D (2...2000W elements) it may be 5-6 years between nozzle changes. When the slight diesel smell continues after the boiler fires off it’s time to change the nozzle. Before ULSD fuel exercising every month was probably a good idea, but I do not worry it not being exercised for 3 months with the cleaner fuel.

Maybe I’ve just been lucky...in 16 years I’ve never had a problem until last week. Had to bypass the coolant level sensor which means I’ll have to keep a eye on the coolant level in the plastic tank until I have to get into the unit for some other reason.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 09:23 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcussen View Post
https://www.motorhomesoftexas.com/Pr...59650?ref=list
This one? Don't think you will find any new, or almost new coach with the quality of that 13 yr old Newell, at $344000
What a sweet coach
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 09:33 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
Like ^^^^ I’ve had 3 hydronic heating systems and it is on my MUST HaVE list. I DO NOT do a yearly maintenance as most of the time I do not run the diesel boiler very much ...engine or electric element provides all the heat/hot water I need. With a single electric element I replaced the nozzle about every 3-4 years and the filter 6-8 years. With the 600D (2...2000W elements) it may be 5-6 years between nozzle changes. When the slight diesel smell continues after the boiler fires off it’s time to change the nozzle. Before ULSD fuel exercising every month was probably a good idea, but I do not worry it not being exercised for 3 months with the cleaner fuel.

Maybe I’ve just been lucky...in 16 years I’ve never had a problem until last week. Had to bypass the coolant level sensor which means I’ll have to keep a eye on the coolant level in the plastic tank until I have to get into the unit for some other reason.
Float valve - when you get to the warm weather spot you might look down the throat to see if you can loosen the float - seems to be a Weak Point in the system - think you may even be able to reach it with your finger to see if it is the problem.

Sure you will resolve it, Enjoyed your piolet T shirt.

Bill
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 09:37 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by followingsea View Post
And you get a better quality product that cost less to make. Tires and drive trains for example.

Key performance indicators are used to measure how much better.

A BMW was a better car than my Ford Falcon but I could by five of them for the same price. The Toyota started selling cars that cost less and were better if the number of miles you could drive was the performance indicator.

Marketing is about selling you something you do not need for more money.
A FORD FALCON?!!! I had THREE of them, and loved two of them. (In '64 they squared up all the curvy lines...didn't care for that).

Wow..a blast from the past memory wise. Loved those old Falcons. Thanks!
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 11:09 AM   #49

I prefer camping to fixing so I buy new every few years. Usually when I hear the time bomb ticking ..tic..toc..tic..toc.
Old 01-10-2020, 03:47 PM   #50

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
I prefer camping to fixing so I buy new every few years. Usually when I hear the time bomb ticking ..tic..toc..tic..toc.

On the other hand - with the quality of the products coming out of the factories these days we find it more economical to replace things as they wear out on our 2007 Bounder, rather than trading for a brand new piece of junk! Of course, of something major wears out, or breaks, we may think different, but generally we'd rather spend a couple of thousand bucks each year rather than a thousand per month on a new loan!
Old 01-10-2020, 04:32 PM   #51

I like buying yall's old worn out 10 yr old junk. It's the price range I can afford.
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 06:16 PM   #52

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
My choice is for New, love that new smell, but when I consider the cost and depreciation that comes with new it snaps me back to reality, guess I will keep my 2002.
Go to PepBoys and buy a can of "new smell" spray. Your 2002 will be "new" again.
fottip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 06:57 PM   #53

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
There's even a leather smell pump spray. I've tried it for fun, it's pretty good!
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 08:09 AM   #54

New Window design

I noticed in some of the new rigs a new design for side windows. Instead of the dual pane sliding window these look to be single pane and they pop out on the lower side a few inches to provide ventilation. They a have short scissor system to hold the window. The only nice part is they are very flat against the side of the rig and show a sleek look. I did not look inside to see how they are screened.
gpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 10:37 AM   #55

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Charlie Brown a Ford salesman!

For the Ford Falcon fans on this thread....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ford Falcon 3.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	244.1 KB
ID:	272059  
Old 01-12-2020, 10:55 AM   #56

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
New ain't always better

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpounder View Post
I noticed in some of the new rigs a new design for side windows. Instead of the dual pane sliding window these look to be single pane and they pop out on the lower side a few inches to provide ventilation. They a have short scissor system to hold the window. The only nice part is they are very flat against the side of the rig and show a sleek look. I did not look inside to see how they are screened.
I've seen posts of people complaining about the new style pop-out windows actually popping off on the highway. They also don't allow as much air flow into the coach as the old style sliding windows. They sure look nice though.

Count me in the camp of "new isn't always better". The people who want to buy new always demand the "latest and greatest" so that's what the mfrs. build. Quality, dependability, and ease of use have slipped down greatly in the last 10-15 years. Emissions, connectivity, touch pads, and all the blingy bells and whistles take precedent now.