Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2020, 09:14 AM   #99

Wish List for New design

What would make a New Motrohome really new?

Here is my wish list.

Retractable counter top over sofa.

Full size washer and dryer stackable, not the miniature versions.

Spa tub with shower combination.

Toy hauler door big enough to load a bike or motorcycle.

Redesign front of coach for aerodynamic performance.

Much smaller windshield.

Side mirrors that do not vibrate.

Paddle shifter on steering wheel for transmission and indicator in dash.

Dash camera.

Adaptive cruse control and built in crash warning systems like cars have.

Interior night lights.

Full suite of engine gauges like Silverleaf has.

Actual fuel consumption indicator in addition the tank level sensor.

Builtin TMPS with extra positions for trailers.

Water flow consumption sensor.

Truly quiet water pump.

AC power outlets on walls where you can find them and light switches where they make more sense, not hidden under cabinets.

If an entry door is behind the front seats then both front seats could moved forward. In this configuration the front cockpit could be isolated with better insulated divider when not in motion. No more need for windshield cover for privacy.

Multi position for dinning table. Most are secured to the floor on the side. Make removable so it could be put in the center.
gpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2020, 09:38 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpounder View Post
What would make a New Motrohome really new?

Here is my wish list.

Retractable counter top over sofa.

Full size washer and dryer stackable, not the miniature versions.

Spa tub with shower combination.

Toy hauler door big enough to load a bike or motorcycle.

Redesign front of coach for aerodynamic performance.

Much smaller windshield.

Side mirrors that do not vibrate.

Paddle shifter on steering wheel for transmission and indicator in dash.

Dash camera.

Adaptive cruse control and built in crash warning systems like cars have.

Interior night lights.

Full suite of engine gauges like Silverleaf has.

Actual fuel consumption indicator in addition the tank level sensor.

Builtin TMPS with extra positions for trailers.

Water flow consumption sensor.

Truly quiet water pump.

AC power outlets on walls where you can find them and light switches where they make more sense, not hidden under cabinets.

If an entry door is behind the front seats then both front seats could moved forward. In this configuration the front cockpit could be isolated with better insulated divider when not in motion. No more need for windshield cover for privacy.

Multi position for dinning table. Most are secured to the floor on the side. Make removable so it could be put in the center.
Some of the above Newell already has. If it's available on the market, they will build it for you. You forgot one needed item. My son had them install a high pressure cleaner with an RO system. Now, he can stop anywhere and wash the coach before pulling into the RV park spot free.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 11:35 AM   #101

I would only ever consider used. Primary reason is the huge depreciation hit (like 80 - 90% for what we are looking at). Secondary reason is better and less complicated engines and systems (and no DEF). Ideally, I want to find something with a Detroit Diesel engine. By going used we can also possibly get into the much safer and more durable bus types. We also should have enough $ left to customize the interior and some of the systems somewhat. The only thing we miss out on as far as I can see is all the radar/camera computer help you drive systems. i am not that interested in those, but my wife would like them.

Even if I bought new, I would have to put in a custom shower, add batteries, solar panels and inverters, and get rid of some of the televisions. (someone seems to think we all need at least 5 tvs). I would prefer a combined black/grey tank which you are not going to find in a new one as far as I know. I also hate all the plastic and chrome used in newer DPs. If I had money to customize somewhat I could change that crap out to wood, fabric and metal.

The bigger question for me is whether to buy one through a dealer, or hold out for a direct sale and do the deep cleaning and thorough maintenance myself.
Coldjensens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 12:02 PM   #102

Well if you hold out just a bit longer all the DD's will be in the salvage yards so you better get to looking
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 12:39 PM   #103

Let's see... a 2020 Newell or a 2010 anything else... hard choice but I'm gonna have to go with new.
DKB218NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 12:46 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamJam1 View Post
+2. If I'm going to spend $200k it's not going to be on something that loses half its value in the first five years. That just seems foolish.
99.9% of Americans think buying a motorhome is foolish yet here we are.

How can something you enjoy, something that brings you happiness, lose value? You worked hard to live the dream. Damn the money.
DKB218NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 12:53 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milford 47 View Post
Well if you hold out just a bit longer all the DD's will be in the salvage yards so you better get to looking

Sorry...DD?
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 01:03 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMoot View Post
Sorry...DD?
Detroit Diesel
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 04:28 PM   #107

Winnebago Owners Club
Good thing there are some that buy new or there wouldn't be many used coaches on the market :-)
smp005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 10:31 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB218NYC View Post
99.9% of Americans think buying a motorhome is foolish yet here we are.

How can something you enjoy, something that brings you happiness, lose value? You worked hard to live the dream. Damn the money.
Not in my DNA I guess. To me that much money is an investment, and investments should appreciate, not depreciate.
Old 01-15-2020, 03:11 AM   #109

Yes. A big shout out and big thank you to all the people who buy new.
Wirhout you we wouldn't be RVING at all.
Brianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 04:13 AM   #110

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
Yes. A big shout out and big thank you to all the people who buy new.
X3 for all kinds of things.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 08:07 AM   #111

Investigate

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamJam1 View Post
Not in my DNA I guess. To me that much money is an investment, and investments should appreciate, not depreciate.
My motorhome is an investment. An investment in doing what I like to do. Enjoying life and being able to see the rewards of my wife and my work. My golf cart does not appreciate, my daily driver automobile does not appreciate, the front yard of my old fixed location home does not appreciate (but does take endless work and huge maintenance cost).

If I only invest in things that return money, life is pure hell.

Its just an opinion.
BruceDeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 08:42 AM   #112

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceDeville View Post
My motorhome is an investment. An investment in doing what I like to do. Enjoying life and being able to see the rewards of my wife and my work. My golf cart does not appreciate, my daily driver automobile does not appreciate, the front yard of my old fixed location home does not appreciate (but does take endless work and huge maintenance cost).

If I only invest in things that return money, life is pure hell.

Its just an opinion.
Right on.

What are or have you been working for? A large inheritance for you heirs? Our kids are going to get toys, lots of well used toys we have enjoyed whether we bought new or used. Because it is our money and we should enjoy it. We give cash to the kids and it will be burned through like you never thought.

I don't care whether you buy used, new or build it yourself. In the end "You will not be able to take it with you."

Buy what you want and save the rationale of why what you did is better than what anybody who does something different. No need to thank people who buy new so there are used coaches, no need to thank people who buy used coaches so you can sell your once new coach.

Most of us have considered the same benefits/costs and have come to our decision. No further conversation required.