Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-29-2011, 04:55 PM   #15
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome bobw103 to the forum. If DH has any sense at all, he's going to buy something that suits you. If he doesn't, he's going to be in for a miserable retirement. I'm sure you can see to that if he doesn't buy something with the goodies you want. I don't blame you, get something with the residential refrigerator, the stacked washer and dryer, the MCD duo shades, the tile that you want, etc.

Travel well, travel safe,
2006 Tiffin Phaeton - 2011 Cadillac SRX
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2011, 05:24 PM   #16
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wellcome, I think you already provided a good direction to go at this:
"We do not have a boat load of cash to spend and would really like to keep it under say 170,000 and of course way less if possible as well."
For a fixed price, you are going to get 2 times the coach buying used than buying new. I highly recommend that you include a lot of private owners selling their RV, you will meet a lot of nice folks and you will know the previous owner (and why they are selling). I think you will find something that makes you very happy (maybe even twice as happy as buying new). Shop around, take your time, have fun looking.
P.S. My DW is quite fussy about living conditions and she found and talked me into buying our used motorhome.

Tom and Amy from Northern Virginia.
2000 Allegro 454/Workhorse P32/TST/Crossfire
Life is a DIY project - enjoy it.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:37 PM   #17
Oh my goodness I can see that most of you respondees are fellas given your responses. Jut kidding guys, great responses. We actually now have an idea of a couple of motorhomes that we would like and as was suggested here we will now shop around for the best deal on one of those.
To once again steal grandma's curtains (JimM68) thoughts, 'new enough is good too'
We do want to make the right decision this time because it will pretty sure be our first and last one to buy.
Thanks all.
bobw103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:55 PM   #18
Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When we dumped or Hi-Lo trailer we went to a Class A (pardon type A) DP. We had so many questions. What brand, what type, ga, diesel, slides or not, iof slides, how many. A full timer and a friend told us. Go find an interior your wife likes and she thinks she can live in. Hopefully it will be within your price range. So our 1st DP was a 36 ft with one slide. It had a generator and only 20K, not bad for a 2003. QWe kept it for 2 yrs and traded up to a 2005 DP with 2 slides for 1/4 what a new one sells for. It had 12K on it. We have been told there are 2 users of DP. One takes it to the lake and the ball games and puts on maybe 1000 to 2000 miles a year. the other takes one or two vacations a year and maybe add 2500 to 3500 miles a year. Find a unit you like the interior 1st. that is where you will live. Then check out the mechanical aspects carefully. There are many great buys out there, you just have to look. good travels...... ed
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:13 PM   #19
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
It was time for me to move on to bigger, as I was planning on living in it. I used to sell RVs, so I know them pretty well. I found this used one for such a low, low price, and like new, that I just had to get it. I can always get more $$$ out of it it than I have invested. No slides, but its only me, so its big enough.

I really love the floor plan, and am very happy with it. I may never get another one. Only reason I see for different one is if I meet a woman that wants to fulltime with me, then maybe get one with a couple of slideouts for extra space.
'94 Bounder 32h. Chevy V-8 44k miles and like new. Tow 4 down '85 Nissan 4x4 Kingcab
Retire in 1yr. 3mo. , but who's counting
mr300ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:38 AM   #20
I personally like new if you get a good deal. Just remember if no one bought rv's or cars etc. new there would not be any more.
2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:36 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
To most who ask advise about the purchase an RV, I try to keep it as simple as possible:

1. First, if possible, rent as close to the size and style of unit you want as you can a couple of times. If undecided, rent a both a C and an A
2. Buy used, between 2 to 5 years with as high end a unit as you can.
3. Buy gas if it's for weekend and/or only occational vacation trips and light towing.
4. Buy diesel if full-timming, doing long frequent trips and towing larger vehicles and/or trailers.
5. After purchase, don't look back at the "what ifs" or the "we should ofs. Just kick back, put foot on accelerator and enjoy new life and relative freedom.

Just a note to your DH, even a 65, I gave up thinking of the stick house as a long term investment to realize a gain, it's just a roof and something else that has to be maintained. I'd rather be doing more RVing.
Stan, Shirley & 2 Schnauzers (Sandy & Sassy)
RV: 2014 Itasca Sunstar 35F
USAF, Retired, Life Member: VSPA, DVA, VVA, VFW
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 08:00 AM   #22
I suggest you look at a mid to late 1990s high line MH such as Country Coach Concept, Affinity or Magna, Monaco Signature or Foretravel U320. They were "cream of the crop" at the time. They can bought for a really good price with plenty left over for remodeling.

Jim E
Pairajays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 08:09 AM   #23

Originally Posted by bobw103 View Post
Oh my goodness I can see that most of you respondees are fellas given your responses.
Actually, contrary to popular belief, I'm of the female persuasion.
I realize my handle makes it hard to determine, but I am 57 and retiring to full-time at the end of March 2012. Yippee! If I can drive a 38 ft MH, anyone can.
1996 Newmar Mountain Aire. 3760 CA
2006 to 2015 Boxer named Cash (aka Cassius Clay)
2016 - Boxer named Chevy
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 08:16 AM   #24
We bought new, a 2010 Newmar Dutch Star 4055. Initially we were looking for used and found a great deal on a used unit but it was a 10 hour drive away to look at it. DW and I went to a local dealership to check out units from that particular manufacturer so we had an idea of build quality, etc before making the 10 hour drive. We walked into a unit on the showroom floor and it was exactly what we really wanted with a few extras that we really like.... 55" tv.

Best piece of advice we received... If you buy new you WILL be back to the dealership numerous times in the first 3-6 months. It's true.... Even though our dealership is an hours drive away from home we love the drive each time and are absolutely loving our rig. We are all done with the trips to the dealership now.

Now we are starting our adventure of full timing starting Feb 1st. :-). Sold everything and what we didn't sell is in storage. Looking forward to meeting new friends.
KBolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 08:53 AM   #25
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Just for something to do, one Sunday I took my 15yr old G-daughter to the L.A. Fair Complex for the manufacturer's RV show. It lasts a month, I think.
It was great ! We spent 5hrs looking at everything from tent trailers to $750k MHs.

The dealers were really dealing. 1/2 off MSRP on a whole bunch.

When I was a salesman at our local RV dealer, I learned that there is an incredible markup from what they pay. That is why they can lower the price so much.

AND....after a unit sits on the lot for 90 days, they have to start making payments to the bank they borrowed $$$ from to purchase the unit from the manufacturer. So...they really want to get it off the lot.

At the show I really considered buying a class A 32 ft with 2 slides that MSRP was $200k, and they would let it go for $100k.
'94 Bounder 32h. Chevy V-8 44k miles and like new. Tow 4 down '85 Nissan 4x4 Kingcab
Retire in 1yr. 3mo. , but who's counting
mr300ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 11:22 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
It seems like everyone will always disagree on this new/used thing. I know there would be other expenses other than the purchase of the MH.
1. At least $200 per month, should be budgeted for insurance and repairs.
2. Every,time you use it, for say, just a weekend, it will cost at least $2-3 hundred, for fuel, CG FEES, food, etc

If you have money saved to by a used unit, keep $ $10-20 thousand back for repairs, remodeling, etc. If you don't, Murphy's law will
Prevail, and you will get hit with a bill you can't afford but will have to pay, and will start resenting the MH. Thus, no fun.

If you see a MH that you can buy for let's say, $300k, and you can buy it with out affecting your retirement income, by all means, BUY IT!
That is what keeps our economy going. I don't think anyone on here would be disapproving of anyone buying a new unit. I personally love to look at the new rig show- off forum. Whether someone bought a new or used rig, it is exciting.

If you have a budget, and you have to ask what should I buy, new or used, then you probably need a used even though you may want a new one.
Of course, as usual this is just my .02. As usual, that is probably all it's worth.
40 FT--330HP CAT
2 SLIDES-TOAD 2012 focus
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:51 PM   #27
I have never lived in a mh full time and have never bought a new one, but the belief that this will be your first and last mh may be wishful thinking since you are new to the rv world. If you read most of the posts on this forum, you will find that there are very few first and only owners. Even if you bought new, something down the line will make you want to buy again. We are on our 4th rv and each time we said this is the last, but like one of the other posters stated, if I were to win the lottery, I would be at the dealer the next day looking for new because I could then afford to lose the depreciation. However, if you can afford to spend $170,000 on a new motorhome, just think about how much more you would enjoy a $100,000 motorhome with $70,000 to spend on other things to help travel and see this beautiful country.
Nathan and Linda, 2000 Winnebago Chieftain 35U, F53 Chassis, Banks Power Pack
Patrol 65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 01:06 PM   #28
Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club

We shopped on e-bay for about 6 months til we found the one we purchased. The nice thing about shopping there is that you can use the left hand column to narrow your paramiters as far as price, diesel/gas, number of miles, slides, etc,etc. Most show ample pics of the units so you get to view many floor plans without leaving the comfort of your own home. When you find a floor plan, other amenities and price you like, go look at that very unit especially if it is reasonably close to you. We personally walked through at least a half dozen or so that we found on e-bay. Of course, ALL of them had shown the pics in the best condition. What we found in some cases was a different story. Be sure to "snoop" in every nook and cranny of the unit, new or used. Lay on the couch, on the bed, actually step into the shower, get on the roof and crawl under the coach as well. Check it ALL out!! We did. Needless to say, we "kissed a few frogs!", but we DID find one that was much nicer that the great pics had revealed and it turns out that it was the ideal one for us as well. (ya just never know) We even got to take a couple of road trips together to view a couple of them as well. We then narrowed it down to two dp units. We traveled as far away as 1200 miles to view one of them at a dealership, rejected it because of condition (remember ALL have beautiful pics?) A day later, we bought the one 150 miles from home that we had viewed earlier but rejected cuz we though it was out of our budjet. I guess my point is, check out as many floor plans, etc as you can and make sure, YES, MAKE SURE that you get to see interior pics with the slides closed before you travel any distance to look at the units. Both final units we looked at had exterior and interior pics with slides in and slides out so we were well aware ahead of time what features would not be accessable with the slides in or when the coach was in motion on the road. The unit we bought is a 38 ft, 03 HR Ambassador dp. We bought it a year ago with 5857 miles on it for less 1/3rd of new price, impeckablly clean outside and in! Like new in every aspect and we absolutely love it. We are in our second snowbirding adventure with it at this time. We put 11,000 miles last winter and about 6,000 so far this winter. ABSOLUTELY no regrets to date and haven't even been tempted to look at any other units since. Sorry this got so long, but just had to speak up. Relax and enjoy the adventure of shopping and then get out there and enjoy the rv lifestyle. We sure are!!!

e8seabee is offline   Reply With Quote