Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2013, 02:01 PM   #1

New windshield in Alaska

Hello!

Our windshield with just one crack has multiplied into several rather nasty looking cracks. We are in the Palmer/Wasilla area of Alaska in our 2004 Monaco Windsor and are wondering if anyone can give us the name of a good place to have a new windshield installed?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks very much,
Bob

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2013, 02:33 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
I would wait until you get back to the lower 48

Old 08-11-2013, 03:14 PM   #3

I just finished 10 week Canada/Alaska trip with a broken windshield . I just decided to wait till I got back to the States even though it meant looking thru a cracked windshield .
Old 08-11-2013, 03:17 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Not a good idea to wait if the cracks are propagating (spreading).

We had a small rock chip/crack repaired at a shop not too far from the Big Bear RV Park in Wasilla, back in '10. No idea if they could do a full windshield. Looking at Google Maps, I think it was Gator Glass at the corner of E. Fireweed Rd and S. Whiting Cir in Palmer.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:33 PM   #5

When we were in Anchorage at a stoplights it seemed at least 1/2 the vehicles had cracked windshields. It's quite normal up there seems like.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:45 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TdogKing View Post
When we were in Anchorage at a stoplights it seemed at least 1/2 the vehicles had cracked windshields. It's quite normal up there seems like.
Pretty much the case. Why buy a new windshield when it will look like the rest of them soon enough?

Voice of experience...lived in Alaska for a couple decades.
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:03 AM   #7

When I get a "ding' in the windshield, I put some clear nail polish on that spot to stop the "spidering" effect. Seems to work fantastically well!

Ed
Old 08-12-2013, 10:11 AM   #8

Gator glass was the place that we had a windshield replaced several years ago. The first issue is that they do not stock windshield's for most of the larger MH's. It took them 12 weeks to get it here. For us that was not an issue since we live here. The other issue was that they charged us over $1600.00 to replace the windshield. A few years later we were in Oregon and again had an issue with our windshield. We were scheduled for maintenance at Monaco in Coburg anyway so had them replace the windshield. There it only cost us $750.00
If you can live with the issue you currently have, I would wait until you got back to the 'lower 48' and have it replace then.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:54 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It's been my experience that my insurance company knows the good glass places pretty much wherever I am, specifically places that they work with - a call to them gets a reference in short order.
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2Home View Post
If you can live with the issue you currently have, I would wait until you got back to the 'lower 48' and have it replace then.
Last year one of the MH's in our caravan got a rock chip that quickly spread into long cracks all across the windshield. His insurance company approved replacing the windshield when they returned to the lower 48, saying his claim was filed in a timely manner.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote