Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2017, 11:15 AM   #1

New York R Endorsement

The conversation this morning between me and the DMV rep over the phone.

Rep: Hello DMV how can help you?
Me: Yes, I need to get an R endorsement for my license. I searched on lin for the permit application and booklet to study what is tested I understand it is a road test only.
Rep: Yes it is just a road test.
Me: Ok, where can I get the App and booklet
Rep: There is no booklet. You have to come in before 4pm and fill out the app here, pay ten dollars. At that time we call tech from here an put you one the phone to set up a road test date.
Me: Ok and I get the booklet then?
Rep: There is no booklet. You are just coming in to obtain to pay for and set up a road test date. You can ask the tech any questions you have.
Me: Ahhhhh Ok......how do I study or know what they will be testing?
Rep: When you come they will answer any questions you have.
Me: How will I know what to ask if I have never taken one of these?
Rep: Well you'll be lucky if we can even get them on the phone for you.
Me: Huh?
Rep: Ya I know they are very busy.
Me: So I go into the test completely blind?
Rep: It's the same as any other license test.
Me: Tractor trailer or passenger test?
Rep: Yes.
Me: So you can not tell me what the test is and there is no booklet?
Rep: Correct but you can ask the tech any questions you might have if we can get them on the line.
Me: Never mind, Click

Welcome to NY!!!
Nasdaqsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2017, 11:28 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Just WOW!!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 11:37 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Just WOW!!
Crazy. I called another smaller town around here that many in the area go to for road tests because the roads are more opened up for new drivers and no one ever fails. The lady there was much more helpful. She it is the same test as your first driving test but you an RV. You go around the block, parallel park and that's it.

So no booklet to tell me not to show driving it myself right? LOL

She did give me the number to the people who schedule them.

On another note she said since the introduction of this R requirement she has seen just three people actual apply for it.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:39 AM   #4

And actually the only reason I even want it is because all though they do not really check for it around here I am more concerned with entering states that do. From my understanding as long as you are legal in your state you can drive in any state in the US. I could be wrong.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:50 AM   #5

My experience with the NY R Endorsement was very similar. Only one office in all of Erie County seems to even know that there is such a thing as an R Endorsement.

For me, I went to the only office that knows about the "R" and stood in line. I pretty much knew about the requirements before I got there. I got to the front of the line and told the lady that I was here to schedule my road test for my R endorsement. She said, "Oh, I have to get a supervisor for that."

The supervisor comes over and I tell her I need to schedule my road test for the R Endorsement. Her response was, "Okay. I'll have to schedule you for an unscheduled road test." Hmmm, schedule me for an unscheduled road test? "Yes, that's correct."

She then proceeded to take my money and issue me a 30 day permit. I asked her if I had to have someone with me who had the 'R' to drive my RV. She told me that I don't but I will need someone with the 'R' when I take the road test. So I could drive thousands of miles without anyone with me with the 'R' but the mile of the road test required someone with the Endorsement.

I went with a friend for his road test for the 'R' and after he passed he took the paperwork to a DMV office near his house. They had no idea what to do with it. He had to come back out here to the town where he took the road test for them to process the paperwork.

Altogether now, "I Love NY!"
Old 06-08-2017, 11:55 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasdaqsam View Post
And actually the only reason I even want it is because all though they do not really check for it around here I am more concerned with entering states that do. From my understanding as long as you are legal in your state you can drive in any state in the US. I could be wrong.
True, there is a reciprocity compact that all states have signed, some for insurance BUT not for equipment laws like braking on a towed. Then you must be legal with each and every state you're in.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 11:58 AM   #7

One other note about the actual road test. As has been noted, it is basically like a road test you took when you turned 16. Exceptions are that my inspector had me do an air brake test. You hold the brake pedal down to see is you lose air pressure. If you don't lose pressure, you're good. Then you pump the brakes until the parking brake comes on. Also, mine didn't make me parallel park, but she did make me back up about 100 feet using my mirrors. The key to that part is to make sure you put the rig in park and physically get out and walk all the way around the rig before backing up.

Also, there is no consistency about the way the test is conducted. Mine was very, very easy. The gentleman that I helped to get his 'R' is a retired airline pilot and he said his road test was harder than his commercial pilot's license. It all depends on who you get.
Old 06-08-2017, 12:04 PM   #8

HMMM, now I have to find out what an R endorsement is....

;-)

Took a look. It seems it was a change that went on the books around 2006. The only gotcha I see is folks with a GCW of over 26,000 when they add their towed. Otherwise it moved to old 18,000 lb limit up to 26,000.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 12:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
True, there is a reciprocity compact that all states have signed, some for insurance BUT not for equipment laws like braking on a towed. Then you must be legal with each and every state you're in.
That I knew.......The NJ police were very helpful in pointing that out when I entered the Garden State Parkway with a tow dolly which at the time as illegal. He was great though he even gave a little yellow note with what I had done wrong and was even nice enough to add the state law number of the violation I would have been breaking. I was surprised when I found out I had to pay the note though.................lol.
Old 06-08-2017, 12:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
One other note about the actual road test. As has been noted, it is basically like a road test you took when you turned 16. Exceptions are that my inspector had me do an air brake test. You hold the brake pedal down to see is you lose air pressure. If you don't lose pressure, you're good. Then you pump the brakes until the parking brake comes on. Also, mine didn't make me parallel park, but she did make me back up about 100 feet using my mirrors. The key to that part is to make sure you put the rig in park and physically get out and walk all the way around the rig before backing up.

Also, there is no consistency about the way the test is conducted. Mine was very, very easy. The gentleman that I helped to get his 'R' is a retired airline pilot and he said his road test was harder than his commercial pilot's license. It all depends on who you get.
I ended up talking to the people that schedule the test. Just a straight road test here no air brake test. It wouldn't bother me if I had to I know how to do all that. So you're right no consistency. But it's NY why does that not surprise me?
Old 09-06-2017, 07:45 PM   #11

Nasdaqsam, would you happen to know the number for those people? I live in Staten Island, and I'm almost sure no one here in the DMV would know the info. LOL

Also, does anyone know if you can bring someone with a CDL with you for the road test? Thanks in advance.

Tim
TimoPBMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 06:50 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
In NY, Law enforcement agencies are advised of changes and updates to vehicle and traffic laws by a "P" memo from DMV. They then need to disseminate that info to the rank and file. In other words most road cops have no idea about an R endorsement. With that said - it is the law to have the endorsement and in 2006 it was based on the length (40' and over) but now it is based on weight (over 26k GVW). If you already hold a CDL that covers the weight restriction you are good to go.
The test - as previously mentioned - is quick and simple. It is the same as a CDL test - air brake pressure test / right hand turns and backing straight for 100'. And yes - you will fail if you don't get out of RV to check behind you prior to backing. They might throw in a bridge with weight limit signage and will ask you at the end of the test what the posted weight was.
Bringing a person with a CDL would be accepted.
JohnArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 07:08 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimoPBMS View Post
Nasdaqsam, would you happen to know the number for those people? I live in Staten Island, and I'm almost sure no one here in the DMV would know the info. LOL

Also, does anyone know if you can bring someone with a CDL with you for the road test? Thanks in advance.

Tim
Tim, to add to what John said, any endorsement of an R or greater will suffice for your road test. The basic difference between the R endorsement road test and the CDL requirements is that with the R you don't need a physical.

My wife is having her 'R' road test on Monday which should be interesting. Here in Erie County we only seem to have one DMV office that knows anything about the 'R' requirements.
Old 09-09-2017, 09:02 PM   #14

So, I have a CDL for passenger bus with air breaks. I should be good in states with an R requirement because the CDL is 'tougher'. I guess?
Vrob53 is offline   Reply With Quote