Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2015, 01:29 AM   #29

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The lower compartment doors are made of a type of plastic I believe, at least my 99 Dolphin are. If they are looking bad, it's most likely the clear coat coming of. I remove the clear coat of mine and buffed them with an orbital polisher and polish. They turned out better then I thought they would. I maintain the shine with Maguire's Flagship Premium Marine Wax a couple of times a year. I've also have used the cleaner wax version of it. I use both on the whole coach.

Amazon.com: Meguiar's M6332 Flagship Premium Marine Wax - 32 oz.: Automotive
Amazon.com: Meguiar's M6132 Flagship Premium Cleaner/Wax - 32 oz.: Automotive

If you do buy it, be sure to join the National RV Owners Forum.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f105/

1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2015, 08:18 AM   #30

ama009: Quick note on DP pending purchase. Have 98 Discovery 36A. 110 T. miles on it.40T. miles and more than 24T$ in engine repairs on it. I am a Long Distance motor-coach driver so know how to maintain units. 5th MH and first DP over last 40 years. Someone on the site used MMP [Mobile Money Pit] to describe cost to run Dp's, or MH's in general.
Get our rig back this next Monday after install of rebuilt Cummins engine. Another 16T in costs to replace 5.9L ISB.
Still love the travels though!!!

Old 11-07-2015, 02:43 PM   #31

I figured as much T.nac! Hopefully i dont have to drop so much into it at first! I would like to get a trip or two in before i have spend a bunch on it. I am gonna go through it as closely as possible, but i figure anything else i get is probably a money pit too!
ama009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 04:17 PM   #32

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Check the age of the tires, that will be your first big expense if they are old. Some people change them at 5 years I'm comfortable with 8 years, don't go over 10 even if they look good.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 05:34 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Nac View Post
ama009: Quick note on DP pending purchase. Have 98 Discovery 36A. 110 T. miles on it.40T. miles and more than 24T$ in engine repairs on it. I am a Long Distance motor-coach driver so know how to maintain units. 5th MH and first DP over last 40 years. Someone on the site used MMP [Mobile Money Pit] to describe cost to run Dp's, or MH's in general.
Get our rig back this next Monday after install of rebuilt Cummins engine. Another 16T in costs to replace 5.9L ISB.
Still love the travels though!!!
What caused that 5.9 to fail? I don't believe yours would be in the date range to have the 53 block, a known issue. I did find a few of those critters when looking at coaches and in fact one was starting to leak antifreeze.
Old 11-07-2015, 05:56 PM   #34

Monkey Run: Learned a lesson when having trouble with the 5.9LISB.. Went to FL service centers up until it failed for good. Really, if you want to service a ISB 5.9, take it to Cummins FIRST. Did standard head gasket at 100,000 miles.[93000T for me].Exhaust manifold, than water pump.
Cummins Power in Elkhart IN area said there was no problem with engine. [New shop,or not qualified peopledoing the trouble shooting.] Take it to FL to have them check it---Mistake! FL through VP-44 and lift pump in 6800.00 later still did not run. One next trip about 200 miles away from FL shop called and complained. They recommended STOOPS in New Haven In. Great shop!!!! Told I had major problems, should head home. #2 cylinder not firing after new injector. Arrived home, and drove coach to Depere WI Cummins. Result......3 pistons destroyed, head damaged. Will pick up coach on Monday from DePere WI. This shop was great to work with. Disappointed with cost, but the coach is a set of good "bones" Everything works, and we enjoy the quiet ride with a DP.
Old 11-07-2015, 05:58 PM   #35

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ama009 View Post
You make a great point BRex45! My purchase decision is gonna depend mostly on what you mentioned. According to the owner, the coach only has little over 40K miles on it. If that is true, not much maintenance could have taken place. then again, if it has been sitting for a long time without running, then it may require some maintenance...
Low mileage does not mean low maintenance. Many item are maintained by age - not miles.
Low hours on the generator is NOT a good thing.. A '97 model should have at least 500 hours even if the unit has always had shore power. (genny should be run under load a couple of hours every month to keep dry)

Check DOT date on tires. DO NOT assume they are good because there is an abundance of thread.

If tires are needed, you will have $4 - $5K to spend before first trip. (tires, all fluids, all filters )
LakeKerrGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 06:49 PM   #36

Just put six 275 x 70 x 22.5 Hankooks on my coach. Out the door $2600.00
Old 11-08-2015, 10:30 AM   #37

T.nac, sounds like a lot of issues to deal with! I guess i need to look for a good shop for the big stuff.

Lakekerr: makes sense wat you say about age and not miles. I was planning on fluid changes and tires before first trip anyway. Just not looking for a huge engine or tranny issue before first trip. Even with tires and fluids im looking at a running dp for right at $20k and i am very excited about that possibility. On my way to see it now!
Old 11-08-2015, 01:36 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ama009 View Post
T.nac, sounds like a lot of issues to deal with! I guess i need to look for a good shop for the big stuff.

Lakekerr: makes sense wat you say about age and not miles. I was planning on fluid changes and tires before first trip anyway. Just not looking for a huge engine or tranny issue before first trip. Even with tires and fluids im looking at a running dp for right at $20k and i am very excited about that possibility. On my way to see it now!

We are all waiting to hear the good news!
Old 11-08-2015, 01:38 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Nac View Post
Monkey Run: Learned a lesson when having trouble with the 5.9LISB.. Went to FL service centers up until it failed for good. Really, if you want to service a ISB 5.9, take it to Cummins FIRST. Did standard head gasket at 100,000 miles.[93000T for me].Exhaust manifold, than water pump.
Cummins Power in Elkhart IN area said there was no problem with engine. [New shop,or not qualified peopledoing the trouble shooting.] Take it to FL to have them check it---Mistake! FL through VP-44 and lift pump in 6800.00 later still did not run. One next trip about 200 miles away from FL shop called and complained. They recommended STOOPS in New Haven In. Great shop!!!! Told I had major problems, should head home. #2 cylinder not firing after new injector. Arrived home, and drove coach to Depere WI Cummins. Result......3 pistons destroyed, head damaged. Will pick up coach on Monday from DePere WI. This shop was great to work with. Disappointed with cost, but the coach is a set of good "bones" Everything works, and we enjoy the quiet ride with a DP.
Hopefully they replaced the entire engine for the $$ you have in it.
Old 11-08-2015, 02:39 PM   #40

Newb looking at a 97 Freightliner Tradewinds

Everything was going great! It is actaully better than it looks in the pics. Owner had it running when we got there. checked all components. Gen has 642 hours on it and purrs. Transmission underneath is impeccable and engine seems to have some oil from sloppy oil change. Doesnt seem excessive or fresh. Tires are from 2010. Where gonna go on test drive and nothing. Wont start. But not dead battery issue cause it wont even turn over. Owner checked some ground wires that he thought may be loose behind panel but no luck. Also started checking alarm system to see if it is not deactivating. Very wierd because it started fine while i was there. Left owner to figure it out and told him we would be back in a couple hours. Really liked it and it is better shape than i expected. Now what?
Old 11-08-2015, 03:01 PM   #41

I want to clarify, i tried to stay and help debug issue but not really comfy for owners. I figured id gove them space. Even with the little setback, i am impressed on how well the coach looks taken care of. They have all maintenance records and i feel very good about this one! Just need to figure out the electrical issue.
Old 11-08-2015, 04:42 PM   #42

If everything else is that good, with all those records he has, I don't see how you can go wrong with the price. Those tires are good for a few more years too!

Did the instrument panel light up when the key was turned on or is that dead too?

Tags
freightliner