Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2015, 03:44 PM   #43

Instrument panel lights up.
ama009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2015, 07:47 PM   #44

I doubt this is a serious problem, could be a bad connection someplace as you mentioned. A poor ground can cause limited current, so the dash instruments light up etc but once a heavy load is placed it does not work. Something like that can also be an ignition switch issue. Of course if it was running and the charging system was not working that may have caused a drain on the batteries also. Lots of potentials but none all that consequential. Bet you receive a call shortly.
Old 11-08-2015, 08:12 PM   #45

I feel the same way! I told him to call me tomorrow and he agreed to take the ad down and let me know asap! Hopefully will know something in a day or so.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:40 PM   #46

We are kind of at a loss with the situation. We can imagine the owners felt horrible that the MH would not start again since we were ready to purchase. We are eating our fingernails waiting to hear back as we really liked the coach and are ready to buy. We also don't want to be overbearing and call every 5 minutes, but we don't want to lose out on the MH. Anyone have any suggestions as to what we can offer the sellers? I offered to purchase the MH "as is" with an adjustment of price for the repairs. We also know that the credit union has the title and they may need the $$ to pay off the loan. Therefore, we are in a pickle.
Old 11-10-2015, 04:45 AM   #47

If you really want to lock down the purchase, you could offer the seller a deposit and work up a contract like a real estate purchase contract where you agree to purchase at a set price contingent upon the owner making repairs and subject to an inspection by a diesel mechanic. This would let the seller know you are serious, and still give you an "out" if the starting problem turns out to be a serious defect (which I do not think it is). I would place a limiting date in the contract so that you are not held to your offer forever.

Good luck

Fred
Old 11-10-2015, 08:26 AM   #48

National RV Owners Club
It really depends on what is wrong with it. A contingency deal right now is the only safe way to go. This could be as trivial as a loose wire or as serious as a major component. If it's electrical than chances are it's not major just mysterious ,especially since the owner was just as surprised as you were. But you can't buy a pig in a poke here. You have a good deal right now but a major repair can put you in a deep hole.
What a bummer! I'd give them a bit more time to figure it out. Perhaps a small deposit to hold it with a stipulation protecting yourself if the repairs are major.
Motor homes are for fun and one that has constant problems or major repairs quickly takes the shine off the apple.

Dick
Old 11-10-2015, 03:00 PM   #49

Thanks Fred, Dick, and everyone! Still have not heard from the owners, so just trying to stay patient. Got the MH in my head and already excited ......
Old 11-11-2015, 08:09 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ama009 View Post
Hi everyone! I know I know, another newb with a class a question. I went through the stickies, but wanted to get your opinions on a 97 tradewinds going for $16,000 on CL. Aside from the obvious stuff (for me, roof leaks, tires, gen, frame, and diesel engine) what should I look for? Is this good coach? I am very handy with diesel maintenance and many other repairs and plan on doing the majority of required maintenance and repairs myself. Any input would be highly appreciated.
I have had a 98 Tradewinds for 4 years 106,000 miles and love it average 9.5+ mpg have a 7,000 watt gen that runs both ac's but will have to replace the front one this spring about $520.00 upgrading to 15,000btu. You can go to the owners site on this forum under National and find out lots of info about this mfg which is no longer in business. Mine had 87,000 miles at purchase and have enjoyed driving it very much. Going to Gaffney freightliner Monday to have it check out.
Alphuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 09:02 AM   #51

Sounds like Murphy was there when you were looking at it. It is likely just an electrical issue, since it was running when you got there, and it also was shut off without any mechanical problems noted. It just would not turn over and restart which would seem to be electrical, not mechanical.

The seller wants to sell it and he knows you are interested, after all you left phone number and told him to contact you. Plus you even offered to buy as-is. So seller will either figure out the problem and fix it, or will sell for less as-is. Either way he accomplishes his goal to sell it; just one way he has a bit more cash in his pocket.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 04:10 PM   #52

Alphuse: i have been on the owners portion looking around. I am convinced it is a good coach! I can see us creating some great memories with it. Good luck at freightliner!
Old 11-11-2015, 04:12 PM   #53

38chevy454: definately murphey! Lol.
Old 11-11-2015, 04:15 PM   #54

Just got an update from the owners. Narrowed it down to starter relay. They are gonna take it off and have it checked. They will let me know when what they find out! [emoji106][emoji1] good news i guess! I assume it could be much worse than a starter relay
Old 11-11-2015, 04:26 PM   #55

National RV Owners Club
There about 4 or 5 things that effect the starter not engaging , transmission not in neutral , bad relay or fuse at transmission control, starter relay, bad start switch.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 09:00 PM   #56

Great to know wb7! I will forward your information to the owner. Hopefully this will improve my chances of becoming the owner

Tags
freightliner