Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2018, 10:08 PM   #1

Newb looking for short DP

Hello all, first post here.

Looking for a 36' or less used but well built DP for the DW and myself plus a small dog and occasional guest. Not full timers but want to be able to spend weeks comfortably.

Have been considering 2008-15 Tiffin Phaeton, Red, Breeze, Newmar Ventanas, Monaco Cayman, and Winnebago Forza.

We really like the floorplan of the Forza 34T with the giant U shaped couch with TV/fireplace directly across, the overhead bunk and washer dryer.

I'm finding them scarce in my desired price range (mid low 100Ks) and wonder if there is any reason to avoid buying an Itasca 34T instead, which seems more plentiful.
mate_stubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2018, 04:45 AM   #2

I Don't know much about Itasca but can recommend our Ventana.
I know the only one of those mentioned w Comfort Drive would be the Ventana and is a large part of what I like in our 3433 VTDP.
Does the Itasca have double pane windows? That would be a must having had MHs with and w/o.
After that it comes down to personal preferences and priorities.
The electronic / remote cargo door locks is a feature I never had before but would not be without after having them.
One layout feature we feel is important is separate shower across the hall w ability to isolate the BedRm & bath shwr from the front living area and our 3533 VTDP was the best of those we looked at. It has pocket doors on both sides of the bath rm / shower and doesnt rely on the bath rm door swing. This allows isolation either way. The Tiff RED 33aa Bath Rm door opens the wrong way and doesnt allow that...
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 05:05 AM   #3

There are only three Mfgs I would consider, Newmar, Tiffin and Fleetwood.

For the usage and occupancy you indicated 36' is the absolutely the smallest length I would consider. Even if I had to consider an older rig to stay within my budget. Remember, no matter how big they are they are still only made for two people. Even an occasional guest with all their "stuff" will add to the crowd.

We have traveled extensively in MH's since the eighties. I say this as a matter of qualification for my remarks.

Good luck and keep us posted as to what you decide to buy
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 05:21 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I would have to side with Quincy on the three choices (Newmar, Tiffin or Fleetwood) if you are looking for quality in a used coach.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:23 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
We toured a Newmar New Aire which is a few inches under 35 feet and love the quality and floor plans but not so much the price. I guess you get what you are willing to pay for!
CWSWine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:41 AM   #6

What do people think about floor plans with couches facing sideways but TVs facing fore and aft? Do you get sore necks watching sideways?
Old 07-19-2018, 12:14 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
a couple of years ago I had the same thoughts short reasonable low mileage. I studied drive train and chassis. then floor plan. New or near new tires were on my list. I wanted to get into a DP prior to the current EPA rules and DEF. I settled on looking for a Cat 300 or more hp. That put me back to 2005 or so after a long look we got into a 2000 Tiffin Allegro Bus with 80K miles interior was good outside needed work. We got the unit for $32,000.00 and had enough money left to make all the upgrades we wanted. Yes it is now 18 years old but it is comfortable and all systems work and we travel around with some friends in brand new rigs that that break down all the time while we just keep trucking. So I say spend you time making a wish list and then don't rule any thing out.
Old 07-19-2018, 01:50 PM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

You've got a lot of tire kicking to do!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 04:52 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I purchased a 2007 Itasca Meridian 34H a few months ago and after 2000 miles beleive we made the right choice. At 34'9" the ride is great and the 350hp Cat C7 has handled everything in our path. 2 slides. Might be worth your consideration. Not many out there for sale.
rrtribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:38 PM   #10

Welcome to the forum!

Not only tire kicking, but a lot of reading too.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mate_stubb View Post
What do people think about floor plans with couches facing sideways but TVs facing fore and aft? Do you get sore necks watching sideways?
I think you nailed it....sore necks. That said, to each his own on floorplan. Find what you like. If you enjoy state and national parks, depending on location, you might not be allowed in if over 35ft. That was one consideration for us (length and the other was height!) when we bought our Palazzo. Good luck. Enjoy!
iluvuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:10 PM   #12

Have you looked at Foretravel? We love our 05 U270. 36’ 400hp Cummins,1200ftlbs torque. 4 wheel Air disc brakes, 8 outboard airbags, side radiator. 2 slides w/ air bladder seals. 20K towing capacity. And quality second to no one!
BigD629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:31 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
We toured a Newmar New Aire which is a few inches under 35 feet and love the quality and floor plans but not so much the price. I guess you get what you are willing to pay for!
We bought a New Aire and you are absolutely correct about the price—sticker shock for sure

We love it. It’s an amazing coach. Comfort Drive makes driving it a pleasure; I never get fatigued, something to seariously consider when picking a manufacturer.
Aegon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 12:02 AM   #14

The New Aire is gorgeous. The coach design is new, so maybe I can afford a used one in a couple years...