Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2014, 02:10 PM   #1

Newbe soon to make huge step

First, I'm about to turn 65 and my son and I are going to make a huge change in the near future. We are going to go on a 2 year mission to explore the US (and I'm sure some of Canada too.). We plan to live full time in a custom motorhome, and pull a trailer with out bikes and maybe a small car behind. We are starting our planing now, because I'm sure we will have to have a custom floor plan for what we want.

Don't ask what our budget is, because we have the resources to get what we need. So I guess you could say we are looking at "high end" stuff. The plan is for September, but I'm not sure we will have the "build time" for that so we my push it back.

For the most part, we have about zero experience in this range. For years we had a Class C that we used for week long camping trips (not at RV camps) and I currently have a fifth wheel. I have never used an RV camp except to empty our tanks.

I am not a truck driver, so I'm a little worried about getting one of these in and out of campsites. I have heard (don't remember where) that someone has a chassis with low speed rear steer. I though they said it was Newell, but I don't see mention of that on their site. The other thing we are thinking of is getting one made on a class 8 chassis (like maybe Powerhouse).

We planning on a custom build because we want 2 bedrooms. and I want a steam shower!

Comments?
cgswss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2014, 02:32 PM   #2

Hi cgswss

Good luck on your new adventure!! You have enough experience that you should not be afraid of a 45 footer since the two bedrooms are going to cut down on the rest of the living space. If you're going super high end I would recommend that you look at the Millennium Prevost conversions. We're very familiar with them and if went Ultra Luxury, they would get our business. There are directories available that will help you find campgrounds that can accommodate a big rig.

Have Fun
Old 01-23-2014, 02:37 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Fore Travel or Newell.

Dave
Old 01-23-2014, 02:42 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Welcome to irv2. Sounds like a great opportunity. Best of luck.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:48 PM   #5

Sounds like a great time for father/son memories. I hope you have a great time. September is pushing it weather-wise to be in Canada. I was there in September 2006, Banff, Jasper, Lake Louise area as well as Montana- Glacier Natl park. There was lots of snow and some icy roads at higher elevations. Be carefull.
davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:04 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgswss View Post
I have heard (don't remember where) that someone has a chassis with low speed rear steer. I though they said it was Newell, but I don't see mention of that on their site.
Newell.

ZF variable-ratio power steering
EasiSteer computer-adjusted steering boost
ZF CDC active-suspension control
ZF independent front suspension with anti-roll linkage and disc brakes
ZF wide-base drive-axle suspension with disc brakes
------->>>> ZF steering tag-axle suspension with disc brakes
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2023615005.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	263.5 KB
ID:	54513  
pasdad1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:41 PM   #7

Thank You! If only I had known what it was called... I'll have him call and make an appointment so we can fly out and talk about our project with them.
cgswss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:47 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Welcome aboard and good luck in your quest. Be sure to keep us up to date on your progression.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote