Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2016, 04:26 PM   #1

Newbe to owning a Motorhome

Hi there,
OK, so I thought I just made a great purchase and I'm sure we did. However, driving home with my new purchase a radiator hose clamp blew and we lost fluid. Anyway, fixed that. But now I know I need to do some sort of preventive maintenance check and services. In the Army its referred to as PMCS.
I have a 2004 Coachman Cross Country SE Diesel Pusher with 33,400 miles on it. It has two new drive tires, I know I want to replace the other 4 because of age is all. The coach has been stored inside every Summer in Michigan and spent about 4 Winters on the West Coast of Florida. Looks like salt air has taken its toll.
I guess what I would like to know, is there some sort of manual for a daily, weekly, monthly, yearly checklist?
Please advise.
Thank you.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2016, 04:45 PM   #2

At a 2004 you are looking well beyond a check list. At this point anything rubber will start breaking down and fail. And I do mean anything rubber. I hope you bought this 12 year old rig at the right price. This is the trap that we fall into. At this point brake hoses, suspension bags, AC hoses, vacuum hoses, shocks, sway arm bushings... anything with rubber breaks down and fails.

Tires while the well over the top most costly can be the least of your issues. I just did the rubber overhaul on my 2000 Winne Brave SE. Be prepared.

Old 09-25-2016, 04:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by imob View Post
At a 2004 you are looking well beyond a check list. At this point anything rubber will start breaking down and fail. And I do mean anything rubber. I hope you bought this 12 year old rig at the right price. This is the trap that we fall into. At this point brake hoses, suspension bags, AC hoses, vacuum hoses, shocks, sway arm bushings... anything with rubber breaks down and fails.

Tires while the well over the top most costly can be the least of your issues. I just did the rubber overhaul on my 2000 Winne Brave SE. Be prepared.
Not true... our 2004 didn't have any of those replaced - just tires. Even our slideout seals were in perfect condition because we kept them clean and used 303 on them all the time, including on any exposed rubber.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 04:52 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the new rig! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 04:56 PM   #5

I have a spreadsheet that is for my 2004 Newmar that has all the required maintenance items. It is on a Freightliner chassis. If you want it, send me a private email with your email address and I will send it to you. You can go through each item and make sure they have been addressed. The previous post is not correct - all the rubber does not instantly fall apart at that age. However, it is very important that you do all the preventative maintenance.
Old 09-25-2016, 05:18 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just Google the Motorhome name and info. You will find the info you want and also possibly a owners and users manual which will have inspection checklists for your "new" MH. Enjoy and welcome to the fun of MH ownership.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 05:41 PM   #7

Please do not misunderstand me. I am not saying stuff is dead today. I am saying that the rubber items are at the end of their life. Before I went back to corporate; in my other life I started and owned a property restoration company (think of ServPro) for 6 years. Insurance companies and manufactures have a determined end-of-life for products. This ties back to the tires discussion. People outside the business never know these things nor see the schedules. But even your porcelain toilet in your house has a determined end-of-life when it is "expected" to fail. Once an object, and it does not matter if it is your roof, toilet, or rubber... has reached end-of-life... it is expected to fail. It may not fail for double its EOL but at that point it can go any time.
Old 09-25-2016, 05:50 PM   #8

FYI - EOL on rubber items is usually 6-10 years depending on the objects exposure to sunlight and water and its design for the exposure.
Old 09-25-2016, 06:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Please do not misunderstand me. I am not saying stuff is dead today. I am saying that the rubber items are at the end of their life. Before I went back to corporate; in my other life I started and owned a property restoration company (think of ServPro) for 6 years. Insurance companies and manufactures have a determined end-of-life for products. This ties back to the tires discussion. People outside the business never know these things nor see the schedules. But even your porcelain toilet in your house has a determined end-of-life when it is "expected" to fail. Once an object, and it does not matter if it is your roof, toilet, or rubber... has reached end-of-life... it is expected to fail. It may not fail for double its EOL but at that point it can go any time.
imob
End of their life??
The OP's coach is only 12 years old!

I sure am happy that the rubber items on my 20 year old, now 148k mile coach, can't read.

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 09-25-2016, 07:25 PM   #10

mel s -
I am not trying to infuriate anyone nor disparage anyone's purchase or future sale price. I am saying the facts are the facts. These factors are the #2 reason why rigs have such a high depreciation. The same should be said of homes, but people are blind to it and buy on emotion. The same things get many 2nd or 3rd RV owners.

As a rule of thumb, when a manufacturing company offers a "warranty" (not referring a contractor) on a product they are not guessing. Typically it is 1/2 the calculated EOL of an item. If a toilet (and yes I keep going there because it is typically the last thing a consumer thinks about) has a 10yr guarantee on it the mfg has calculated the EOL at 20 years and somewhere after that the sealing enamel will break down and be "aesthetically non-pleasing" or un-cleanable.

Trust me, have your home flooded, burned down, or blown away in a storm and you will become intimately familiar with these factors.

At the end of the day, keep a very very close eye on those rubber items. Plan for it, and do not be surprised when they fail.
Old 09-25-2016, 07:38 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
15 yr old Dynasty still looks new inside and out because it was always stored inside when not on the road 49,000 miles now. Not trying to argue with imob, but don't want OP to think his new coach is going to fall apart either. Inspect all rubber and replace as needed. Doing it all at once is a crap load of money. Most hoses break at the clamp or from chaffing on something. Sometimes all that is needed is to cut off the hose and re clamp / new fitting. Carry spare hose and clamps. Ops coach was very well built and in no way is it at the end of life.
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 07:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamfolger View Post
Inspect all rubber and replace as needed. Doing it all at once is a crap load of money. Most hoses break at the clamp or from chaffing on something. Sometimes all that is needed is to cut off the hose and re clamp / new fitting. Carry spare hose and clamps. Ops coach was very well built and in no way is it at the end of life.
Again please do not misunderstand me. The "coach" has many many many pieces to it. And in no way am I saying that the or any RV of that age is worthless or at the end if its life. I am simply saying the rubber components are EOL. This is the same reason why you go up and re-seal the roof, or windows. It is rubber... not steel... not fiberglass... rubber... and its not limited to hoses.
Old 09-25-2016, 08:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Again please do not misunderstand me. The "coach" has many many many pieces to it. And in no way am I saying that the or any RV of that age is worthless or at the end if its life. I am simply saying the rubber components are EOL. This is the same reason why you go up and re-seal the roof, or windows. It is rubber... not steel... not fiberglass... rubber... and its not limited to hoses.
Once more I respectfully disagree.
The roof of my coach, (like those of many other RVs), is fiberglass.
Sorry
Old 09-25-2016, 08:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Once more I have to disagree...
The roof of my coach, (like those of many other RVs), is fiberglass.
Sorry
The edge seal goop is not .. and that is where all the leaks happen.

Ask anyone with a de-laminated side panel

Tags
motorhome