Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2011, 11:28 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Newbie - 2 Questions

Hi and thanks for whomever can provide a bit of guidance...

I have 2 questions - both related to the electrical systems -

1 - Generator to Shore Power or vice-versa - I realize you should shut off the AC prior to making this move. Should you shut everything off and disconnect shore power prior to stating the generator or can you start the generator and then disconnect from shore power? ...and vice-versa?

2 - Repair/Troubleshooting question - we have a new to us coach which is having trouble holding a charge - vehicle and coach batteries. The mechanic is noting a 5 amp drain that is going on when everything obvious is turned off. Any clues as to what could be drawing on the battery. He's looking but saying if nothing else just use the disconnect...which I understand but woud prefer to know what's draining the battery...any ideas?

Thanks so very much -
Firstpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2011, 11:50 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
On question one: There was a thread recently about this very subject. Apparently you run the risk of damaging your transfer switch if you do not disconnect one before connecting the other.

Question two: Do you have a 12V TV antenna amplifier? This is often the culprit.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 12:00 PM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
If you shut off the big loads, AC, water heater, dryer, etc. before starting or stopping your generator, you'll be OK.

There is no need to disconnect from shore power. Most of us do not.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 01:51 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Re #1, all rigs are wired differently. On mine, I don't have to unplug anything, but the generator has priority...if the coach is running on AC and the gen comes on, it switches to the gen.

Re #2, if I turn the master 12v power switch off, the only things left on are very small draws such as the propane detector...you'll have to look around.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 02:29 PM   #5

With just battery power the chassis and coach batteries should not be connected. The 5 amp drain is probably on the coach batteries, yes ?
Do both charge when the engine is running ? After is has sat for a few hours what is the voltage on each. If they have sat, totally discharged, they may be past bringing back. Anytime you let a battery sit for more than a couple of days in a partially discharged state you shorten its life and capacity.
What year, make and model?
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 03:03 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstpoet View Post
Hi and thanks for whomever can provide a bit of guidance...

I have 2 questions - both related to the electrical systems -

1 - Generator to Shore Power or vice-versa - I realize you should shut off the AC prior to making this move. Should you shut everything off and disconnect shore power prior to stating the generator or can you start the generator and then disconnect from shore power? ...and vice-versa?

2 - Repair/Troubleshooting question - we have a new to us coach which is having trouble holding a charge - vehicle and coach batteries. The mechanic is noting a 5 amp drain that is going on when everything obvious is turned off. Any clues as to what could be drawing on the battery. He's looking but saying if nothing else just use the disconnect...which I understand but would prefer to know what's draining the battery...any ideas?

Thanks so very much -
#1 Here is the discussion mentioned above. Great stuff. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/autom...ion-95779.html

#2 I'd be really suspicious that your batteries might need replacing but to find the phantom draw you might want to turn off all of your 12v breakers and then turn them back on one at a time while watching the draw to see which breaker will cause the draw to return.

It is really helpful for those who reply if you include your make, model and year of your rig in your signature line.

good luck...

rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags