Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-13-2015, 07:08 PM   #1

We are considering purchasing a used DP in the 10-15y.o. range, 35-40'. We have been browsing the forum and classifieds and have many questions that we hope could be answered by the experienced folks here.
1. Is it economically feasible to purchase a 10-15y.o. DP, or will major repairs eat up your time and $ saved on the intial purchase ?
2. What are the "Best" used DP's? As far as quality, longevity, and customer service/pride in workmanship are concerned.
3. Are there any "must/should haves" in a DP ?
4. What are the Major things to lookout for/ mistakes made when purchasing a used DP?

Thank you all in advance for your anticipated replies.

camodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2015, 07:43 PM   #2
WE just got our 2004 National T370 Tropi Cal Dp and love it... the most coach we could find for the money... great build and lots of WOW factor... we moved up from our 1998 National Dolphin... All used units will require some upkeep... new ones go to the shop to get the bugs out...

2004 National Tropi Cal T370, Cat Power
"SEMPER FI" Married to my best friend for 47 years
We are self employed dog groomers for 43 years
USMC1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 08:32 PM   #3

It's all about the dollars you want to spend to get your feet wet. Now this is just me but I would not have a coach that has a rear radiator because when you open up the back all you see is radiator, side radiator a must. Check the radiator for leaks. When I change the serpentine belt took about a minute a rear rad may take 2 to 3 hours if you are lucky. I like air leveling. If I had my choice I would go with a Cummins they get better MPG plus the fuel filters are easy to change.
Look at the tires, around 8 years max then look at the batteries. We had the Not-So-Cold frig ditched it and got the Samsung RR and Magnum Inverter.
Before I forget, they are a money pit but lots of fun. Spending the kids inheritance.
2 stroker
2006 Country Coach Inspire 360 40ft Genoa Designer Series, Samsung 197 RR
Cat C9--STEEL & COPPER Bolt Together Radiator w/ updated rubber mountings
SilverLeaf 330 Magnum 2812 PSW 2011 Ford Edge Sport-Air Force One
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 08:42 PM   #4
Monaco Owners Club
Agree with 2 Stroker, side radiator a must (our 2002 Windsor is). Maintenance is much easier and chances are a rear radiator has not been maintained as well because of access. Dirt accumulation on a rear radiator causes engine problems due to heat.

We have 2 slides on our 2002. I wish we had 4 for the room and comfort.

Aquahot (or similar) is also something I wish I had.

We have a full 1 piece fiberglass roof. Although that doesn't guarantee no leak it helps. Maintenance is much easier and if the fiberglass roof is maintained it will last a loooooong time. Rubber roofs have to be maintained, and eventually replaced.

Make sure you have plenty of Carrying Capacity, I've seen some large class A's with only 8-900lbs.

Good Luck
Jim J
2002 Monaco Windsor 38 PKD
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/5.7 Hemi
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 09:37 PM   #5
Freightliner Owners Club
At that age, the mid to upper level motorhomes would probably be reasonable. Up to date/ complete Maintenance records would be important, Condition or age of tires, rubber roof and delamination could be big ticket items...

My freightliner chassis and Cummins ISB have been relatively trouble free and reliable.

FWIW, I have a rear radiator and access has not been a problem. ( ---most of the larger motorhomes/ engines do have a side radiator)
Hooligan, Pensacola, Fl -U.S. Coast Guard 1956-1985
2016 Thor Siesta Sprinter 24ST diesel
Our Pug "Lily" & "George" the Newfoundland
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 09:54 PM   #6
Check out the following link for used Class A motorhomes. See different floor plans & prices.
Diesel Motorhomes for Sale - PPL Motor Homes

I jumped from a tent trailer to a 1993 Pace Arrow Diesel pusher. I have had her for about 7 years & just purchased an 07 Discovery. Now I have two! LOL

This forum will provide you MANY hours of reading. Great place & great people!
Robert & Deb
07 Discovery 39v FWS Full Timers, Quartsite AZ
1K solar - 05 Jeep Grand Cherokee
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 10:11 AM   #7
Thank you all for your replies. Again being a total newbie, it appears that from what I can gather from this forum is that Newmar and Monaco are respected, quality manufacturers. Are there other Manufacturers out there that i should concentrate on that have the same or better reputation? I like the idea of the side radiator models.
Thank You
camodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 10:18 AM   #8
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
You need to get a ranking of MHs by brand. A more expensive model (higher in the pecking order) will have a lot more standard features than a lower (less expensive) model. This will help you compare apples to apples.
2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 10:40 AM   #9

If I sound biased, it's cause I am. Go looking for a Newmar Dutchstar, Mountainaire etc. after you look at a hundred or so others, you will begin to see why these rigs are more money and have a good reputation. It's all the subtle extras that make a huge difference.
As for rubber roofs, mine is 11 years old and as good as the day it rolled out of the factory. Wash it once a year with a mild soap and treat it with a UV blocking agent like Aerospace 303 and it will last for another ten. Climb up and check the roof on any prospective rig. If it's a rubber roof, look for dark areas which is a sigh that the white coating is gone. Also look for bubbles or loose spots indicating the membrane is no longer bonded to the roof.
Either of these indicators will tell you to climb back down ad walk away.

I used the attached site when I was looking. As I have said a few times, it was money well spent. Check it out and decide for yourself.
Happy Hunting. As mentioned in a previous post, these things are not cheap to operate but they are a great way to travel.

RV Consumer Group - We Rate RVs
Dennis & Carol
2003, 4006, 41' DutchStar, Spartan, ISC 8.3L W/BanksPower - 2013 Honda CRV, BlueOx Baseplate, Aventa Bar & Patriot Brake. And the 04 Bird, Sunshine Car.
dennis45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 10:41 AM   #10
Monaco Owners Club
Happy with a Beaver

FWIW, we bought a 2008 41' Beaver Contessa which was well maintained with only 28,000 miles. We liked the layout and this one happened to be a custom order by the first owner. It has a 400hp Cat engine (side rad)which has plenty of torque (1200-1250 lbs), a RoadMaster Chassis with 8 airbags, air levelling system, king sleep number bed, washer/dyer/central vac, a slide out countertop extension etc, the Aqua-Hot heating system, side and rear view cameras, etc.

It is a dream to drive. I was originally looking for a Tiffin and one forum member told me not to overlook some of the other brands like Beaver. I always thought, who wants to drive down the highway in something called a "Beaver", but as I learn more, I understand they are a well constructed high end Monaco coach. Some campgrounds do not allow rigs over 10 years old. I am putting a motorcycle lift on the back for my Harley and tow bar for the CRV.

I think we were lucky to get this unit with all the amenities, we just haven't had a chance to get camping yet.

Happy hunting,
Ron Symes, 2008 40' Beaver Contessa
400hp C-9 Cat, 2014 Harley Davidson Limited
2014 Honda CR-V
Newintown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 10:51 AM   #11
Country Coach Owners Club
At the 10-15 year age you should include Country Coach, Alpine, Travel Supreme, Foretravel, in addition to the Newmar, Monoco, Holiday Ramber units.

Most important is your ability, place, and time to do your own repairs, upgrades, and maintenance.

At $100 per hour for competent shop labor charges, DIY is the only way I continue to enjoy owning a MH.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 10:03 AM   #12
Damon Owners Club
From a newbee also looking at 10 - 14 yr old stuff. bounder 39z, Damon ultra sport 37.5, coachman santara 37 all DP. Miles for 25K to 60K, prices from $30K to $60K Anyone of theses unit that are bad, don't even think about buying that one? look'en for iRV2 feedback...thks!
oldeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 10:23 AM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We are very happy with our 2002 Monaco Windsor! The 40PBT floorplan is exactly what we want. It has the Cummins ISC350 engine which I understand was one of the best. It has air leveling, no hydraulic jacks to give problems. We got a great deal on it, which allowed us to spend some extra money on upgrades to make it more comfortable & safe.

Hope you can find the perfect MH for your needs!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote