Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-21-2015, 02:25 PM   #1

Hello all. My name is Rick and I'm new to the whole concept of RV'ing.
Today I put some money down on a 97 tour master 40. I'm very mechanical but I don't know what to look for in RV's.
This particular RV appealed to me because of the Cummins/Allison combo and the relatively low miles(76,000).
What are the opinions of this particular RV? They are asking $25000 for it.
2600hrs on the generator.

ArizonaRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2015, 02:47 PM   #2
Hi Rick and Welcome to the life of RV'ing. Cummins, Allison, 76,000 miles and 2600 gennie hrs., all sound reasonable to me. Even the money. Past maintenance records will help. The good Lord has put some real smart cookies on this forum, and they will chime in soon. Safe travels and you will enjoy.

spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 03:01 PM   #3
Thanks for the positive feedback Spsm.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:14 PM   #4
Monaco Owners Club
The big ticket items are the ones you should look at. Engine, Transmission, and cooling system. Also check the date codes on tires. You may consider getting oil samples on the above.

I bought my RV used in 2008, it had +50K miles and came with no maintenance records (it was a repo). First thing I did was take it to the Cross Point Cummins dealer in Knoxville and had them do a complete inspection and service. He looked for faults on engine, found none, also checked for any outstanding recalls etc. This gave me a good baseline to start from. I've kept up with all the maintenance since. I just turned over 100K on my coach in December.

The Cummins/Allison is a great combo, many years left to run.

Good luck
Jim J
2002 Monaco Windsor 38 PKD
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/5.7 Hemi
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 06:53 PM   #5
This is great information. I'll do that on Monday.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:37 AM   #6
Country Coach Owners Club
The other villain in RVs is water leaks.

Check inside cabinets, behind window coverings, etc for signs that an uncorrected leak has not started a mold process in the rig.

The drive train is a great combo.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 10:39 AM   #7
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Tricia & Dennis Lockhart
2010 Ventana 4333
Spartan MM w/Cummins 360 ISC
denlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 11:37 AM   #8
Newmar Owners Club
Hi ArizonaRick,
Welcome to iRV2. The price is market average. No great deal, but no rip off either. The range is $22,850 to $27,550. If in addition to what has been posted, the batteries are load tested and okay, tires are less than 5 year old (check date codes on the tires, check each tire), no leaks in the coach, all systems operational, the price may be okay. If any of the items mentioned are in need of immediate replacement, consider getting a lower price.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 07:12 PM   #9
Thanks for all the useful replies. I look forward to sharing the road with you all soon.
Old 02-22-2015, 11:34 PM   #10
Winnebago Owners Club
Originally Posted by ArizonaRick View Post
Thanks for all the useful replies. I look forward to sharing the road with you all soon.
One additional thought (just my $.02 worth): Do a very thorough eye-balling of its interior and exterior - a very close look at everything exposed.

The simple thought is that if it physically looks abused, than its systems have probably also been abused. If it's relatively spotless inside and outside, then "IN GENERAL" it was probably owned by someone who cared for it.
1999 Winnie Adventurer 37.5' (we call it a 38' for short) with a Ford Triton V10
2009 Yorkie named Teddy
2010 Ausi named Bear
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 08:44 AM   #11
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Good luck with getting settled in.
John & Cathy R.
06 Pace Arrow 38L W24
08 Lincoln MKX AWD
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:12 PM   #12
Change of plans

I ended up going with a 2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor. It's not a diesel pusher but it only has 35K miles($23k out the door). Very clean inside and out, and because of some of the advise I received on here I steered away from the Tour Master.
Thanks for that.
I pick it up next Friday. Progressive insurance quoted me $670 full coverage for the year. This seems reasonable am I wrong?
Next stop, the road......
Old 02-28-2015, 12:00 PM   #13

Send a message via Skype™ to DIYRVGuy
Consider asking for the previous owners name and contact info or offer to share yours with the previous owners.

Most owners enjoy talking about their experiences both good and bad. May provides some insight on trouble area's to watch.

Troy & Erica Tikalsky
1985 BlueBird Wanderlodge
DIYRVGuy is offline   Reply With Quote