Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2011, 10:03 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Question Newbie!! ;)) 30amp unit, how 2 plug 20amp home?

Hi all...thnx for all the posts before we bought our 1st Class A, last weekend @ Lazy Days, FL....'04 Fltwood Southwind 32v, 24K, sweet, 1 owner,,, My question: I have read many places about setting the on-board electric for 20 amp service with our 30 amp unit... I do not know how or where would this be done. Have read that the Electric Management system needs to know it's plugged into 20 amp...?? Any help appreciated before we get it home next week...Thanx!! Geno-Heidi
geno-heidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2011, 10:25 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Hi there &

You should have an EMS panel (probably near your thermostat, ours is) that looks something similar to ours shown below. There is a button on it, labeled 30/20 AMP SELECT that will toggle the system between managing loads on 30 or 20 amp. I always have to remember to change it to 20 amp when we bring the coach home. We're normally hooked up to 30 amp in storage, but when we bring it home to load up before a trip, I've only got access to a 20 amp circuit in our garage.

Lori-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010042 - Copy.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	13040  
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:35 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Thnx lovnit...will check that out on the panel when we pick up the MH. Lazy Days is putting on new tires and few minor repairs, maintenance items. They have been AWESOME...we're glad we purchased thru them! This Blog-web site has been so helpful! Had to join now that we own one! Plan to go full time in @ 12-15 mos...time to practice and sell all the 'stuff'...LOL ;-)) Thanks!
Old 08-18-2011, 03:31 AM   #4

Geno congrats on the new coach. When you set your EMS to 20A about all you will be able to run is the batt charger, some lights, and fridge. I doubt you will be able to run the AC. Also if you are plugging in to a GFI outlet you may have issues with it tripping.

Make sure when you pick up your coach from Lazy Days they have all your items adressed to your satisfaction before you leave with it.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:27 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
thanx guys....this helps so much....as always! geno
Old 08-22-2011, 01:17 AM   #6

If you are on 20amp and are having issues running the a/c (you should be able to run 1 a/c unit on 20 amp, though), put your fridge and water heater on gas only. The fridge especially can make like a 3-4 amp difference in power draw.

Steve
SteveLevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:17 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Thanks Steve....great idea for the "fridge/a-c" combo...nice to have a-c here at home in FLORIDA in AUGUST...LOL-lol-lol THANX!!! We can keep in long driveway on the weekends only...then take short practice drives to parking area where we will keep it the rest of the time. Only 3/4 mile from house! Thanx again!
Old 08-22-2011, 04:46 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
You may or may not have a EMS control panel installed.

What model of Inverter/Charger is installed?
May be a Freedom 458.
If no control panel for it. Easy to install one
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:01 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Question

Hello back...on unit now, tonight, taking home tomorrow....GUESS WHAT?? No EMS Unit that I can see-find!! So, back to square 1 again...do I just "Plug In" to my home electric 20amp house-garage outlet (with 30-15 amp adapter plug, I have)...and go from there?? will system "KNOW" it's 20 amp vs a 30 amp line in?? Oh boy, thought this would be easy with the EMS panel, but none I can see oin any obvious places I've looked so far...any additional Help??
Old 08-26-2011, 11:03 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Question Inverter/Charger

Where might I "find" the Inverter/Charger for I.D. info...??
Old 08-26-2011, 11:14 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum! Don't worry, it does all get easier.

I would think that without an EMS panel you would still want to plug in using your 30/15 adapter but you'll have to manage you power usage manually via trial and error. Put you frige and water heater on gas if you have that option, and use the lights as you think you normally will and go ahead and try one AC unit. I think you'll trip the garage breaker if there's going to be a problem.

IMO, being able to use even one AC while hooked up to a standard household outlet is a "sometimes" proposition.

Best of luck...

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:17 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by geno-heidi View Post
Where might I "find" the Inverter/Charger for I.D. info...??
Is it safe to assume that no manuals came with your coach?

The inverter/charger is usually mounted in the electrical bay where your shore power hook up is.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:39 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

That coach probably does not have an inverter either - probably just a converter/charger (no inverter function).

Don't get too lost in all the terms flying around. Just get a 30A-to-15A adapter plug (available at Walmart) and plug into the outlet at home. Just remember you cannot run everything at once with limited power available. If you want to run an a/c, just about everything else needs to be off or running on propane only. If no a/c, then you can probably run most everything else except the microwave (MW is a huge power hog, as are the a/c units).
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 05:09 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Also, be careful if you're using an extension cord that it is not a 30amp cord. I melted a 15amp cord using the A/C in front of the house...luckily I caught it soon enough that all I damaged was the cheap cord. Gave me an excuse to get a good 50amp cord.

I have a 50amp service in the garage but if you only have a 15 or 20 amp service it will just trip the breaker if it overloads. Nothing tragic, just a reminder that you have too much running.
macnkat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags