Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2010, 10:11 AM   #1

Newbie - 98 Newmar MA Ford 37.5

Looking to purchase first motorhome and have my eye on a 37.5 ft ,98 Newmar Mountain Air with the Ford Engine. It does have a slide and tag axel. It has over 50k miles on it. What should I expect in terms of handling, gas mileage and overall quality of the unit. Anything specific I should be looking at as wear/replacement items that are not obvious? From the pictures it appears the owners have taken care of the unit. Wanted some feedback before I drove out to see it.
Thanks, Bill

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2010, 10:56 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
MPG will be around 6.5. Newmar quality is good. Things to check before you make any decision would be: Tires-check the date codes. If they are 6 years old or older they will need replacement $$, All appliances including A/C and furnace. If something isn't working-$$, Roof. Any damage or poor condition-$$, Evidence of leaks on inside-stains on ceiling or walls, mushy floor, musty smells-$$, Drive train. Condition of and service records for. If anything is questionable-$$. Always have an independant RV tech/mechanic check out the coach before you close the deal. You would do better for responces if you post this on the Newmar forum here.

Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 02:47 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Bill, and Welcome to the Forums!

Newmar is good stuff.

It probably has a '97 model year chassis with the 460 engine. A durable engine but on a big coach like that it will seem underpowered unless it has already been upgraded with better exhaust. Handling will likely feel sloppy unless the things like shocks, sway bar bushings and steering stabilizer have been replaced lately. Once those sort of things are freshened up it should handle fine.

Vegasdan pretty well covered the rest of it.
Nick-B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:42 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasdan View Post
MPG will be around 6.5. Newmar quality is good.
Dan, I think you nailed it. My MPG on stock chassis is 7.75 for 32 footer. Since Newmar is larger and tag axle, I wouldn't expect more then that.
Bill, When I bought my coach I downloaded a checklist from the net, spent 2.5 hrs checking it all out and still missed a few things.
Take as much time as you need to inspect the unit before you buy it. Problem I had was I didn't want to climb the RV roof ladder, they're scary. Wish I would have because I would have had more bargaining power. The roof had worn spots where the black EPDM material was showing through. Costly to have someone else repair but only around $300.00 if you do it yourself.
I also passed on a couple coaches that did not have service records, not knowing if the vehicle has been taken care of is a deal breaker for me.
Good luck and keep us posted.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:18 AM   #5

Thanks everyone. They were in the process of selling it the next time I called so it's probably for the better. I did download a checklist and will take it with me, more comprehensive than my home inspection report. Going to look at a few this weekend but getting tired of looking. Take care.

Bill
Old 11-05-2010, 10:21 AM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Bill, we looked at at least 20 MH's before we found this one, so can relate to getting tired of looking. Don't get discouraged, and don't feel pressured if others are interested in a unit you are looking at. Are you sure you want one that big to start with?
Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote