Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2017, 04:03 PM   #1

Newbie air Pressure Light and Alarm On

New to me 2007 Fleetwood American Tradition 42V 400ISL

After sitting overnight, when I start it up I have no pressure indicated on my dash for the front system and the warning buzzer and light are on. Rear has maintained pressure overnight. Front pressure builds to about 120+ within less than 2 minutes and maintains pressure w/o any low warnings.

Is it typical for either system to lose pressure overnight?

Never had air brakes before so maybe my concern is just a normal DP with air brakes condition. Any replies will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2017, 04:07 PM   #2

Are you airing down to level the coach? My understanding is the Air tanks serve the brakes and suspension.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:54 PM   #3

No, you should maintain air pressure all night. You have an air leak and should try to find it. My coach will hold air for several days.

2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
1doodadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 11:46 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer23 View Post

After sitting overnight, when I start it up I have no pressure indicated on my dash for the front system and the warning buzzer and light are on. Rear has maintained pressure overnight. Front pressure builds to about 120+ within less than 2 minutes and maintains pressure w/o any low warnings.

Never had air brakes before so maybe my concern is just a normal DP with air brakes condition. Any replies will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
That's not normal. After system is aired up, climb under there with a bottle of soap water solution and spray all air lines. You're looking for leaks. Once you find them, you can have a shop fix them or you can do it yourself. If you do it yourself, you need to take precautions. Let the air suspension down and dump all your air. Once all air is dumped, you can safely take apart the leaking fittings and replace them. Besides doing that, I always block my tires when I go under the coach, just to be safe.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 05:15 AM   #5

My learning curve is going to be steep for sure. I desperately need to get coach and system owners/operational manuals, etc. Leveling system has red light at bottom of the display on now too. System was pushed to "travel" to ensure jacks were up.

Coach manual on tells me what is on the unit, not how to operate. So many questions..........

Can Hydro Hot system be operated with fresh water system drained (winterized) to heat coach not to use faucets .....and on and on

Maybe I bit off way more than I can handle. I guess I need to get to a rally somewhere very soon for some answers to questions and leave the coach parked till further notice.

I know I have to pay to play, but, I haven't even got up to bat yet :-))

I apologize for the rambling... just overwhelmed.
Old 10-27-2017, 06:30 AM   #6

Don’t let yourself get frustrated! We have camped in every type of camping unit and have owned popups, class C, 5 th wheels and have always done my own repairs so I thought I knew a lot. Wrong, we purchased this DP and it a whole different beast. The owners manuals equal about a foot deep. Just take you time to familiarize yourself with the systems as you go. Search you manuals as needed (too much to read and retain in one sitting) and then ask the guys on this forum. They are a great help and chances are someone has had a similar problem and will talk you thru the issue. You will learn from using it so don’t let it sit. Use it, enjoy it and learn as you go.
gcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 07:04 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
The "Owners manuals" are mostly useless for troubleshooting and rearing anything. You need to identify every component discussed in the owners manual by manufacture and model number, then go on-line and download the "Service manual".

For example on the Aqua-Hot, find the label and see what model you have (then you go to manufacture's website such as Aqua-Hot Manuals ).

If you're lucky there will be a "build sheet" like this, in the paperwork with the coach. But even that is not going to cover everything and sometimes the Model Number on the build sheet is a specific number for your coach manufacture (not the product manufacture) so it is still best to find the product label on the unit/equipment.

Start collecting all these Service Manuals now, so when something goes wrong you can jump right in on the troubleshooting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2005 Beaver Coach Build Sheet.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	181185  
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 04:26 AM   #8

Wow, sure wish I had a build sheet like that.....none in this coach. I did however, crawl inside the access bays and panels and wrote down all the model and serial numbers that I could find..........some positive results. Downloaded manuals from the internet that I could find.

Regarding the pressure loss. After getting the air pressure up to normal, I shut down the coach and just let it sit. After a few hours the left front corner slowly dropped about 2 inches compared to the right front corner.

Coach is going in for a front end alignment and at the same time I'll have them take a look for a air problem. The shop is well suited to do buses, OTR truck and motorhomes. I hope they have a way to aim the headlights too.........which are terrible. They only light up about 8ft in front of the coach. They are brand new and installed by the dealer. The coach is totally unable to be driven after dark, they're that bad.

More updates to come.....................
Old 10-30-2017, 05:40 AM   #9

I have a '07 American Tradition. I called Fleetwood 800 322-8216 with the VIN or FIN # and they sent me the window sticker for the coach which had all the options listed. You will probably talk to Deb at that number, she is very knowledgeable.

I've also gotten very good info by calling the individual manufactures of the component in question. Also a call to Spartan if that's your chassis manufacturer can clear up some issues.

Good luck, there are plenty of resources out there. Don't get overwhelmed. Take one system at a time and do the research to figure it out.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 06:35 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
That is a pretty quick leak down for the front bags - try using the manual clean out valves (mine are on lanyards that we pull) and see if that helps. You might benefit from picking up a CDL manual from the drivers bureau. The manual gives a lot of info on airbrake systems, how to check them ( all in the pre road test portion) and other good stuff that I was glad to know. jmo mark
MCJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 08:20 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

There is probably a leak (or two) in the air system, but it is indeed a fairly normal occurrence and not a cause for major worry. There are a lot of connections and hoses in the air system and small leaks are all too likley.

You also lose air in one tank when the coach levels hydraulically - it dumps the suspension air to lower the coach before putting the jacks down. That part is perfectly normal.

Your air compressor can easily replace lost air, so no worries. Do, however, get the air system inspected and the leaks fixed in the not-too-distant future.

No brake worries - the coach won't move unless it can build enough air pressure to operate the air brakes (about 60 psi). There is a spring applied emergency & parking brake mechanism that will not release until the air brakes are up to operational pressure.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 12:10 PM   #12

Just got back literally from a Spartan chassis service center recommended to me by Spartan. Went without the coach just to see how bad cross DFW traffic was to get to the place. Talked to the service advisor and explained the gradual air pressure loss. He smiled and said not to worry, its quite typical especially on older coaches and really not to worry unless it gets worse, etc. But if I insisted, bring in the coach and they would try to track down the small leak. Other RVers there and they have the same issue for years w/o any repairs.........so............I'll leave it go for now. Save $$$$$

On another note, my smart steering wheel is not centered (15 deg left of center). When I contacted Spartan the first thing they asked me was it a smart wheel. They told me this was also somewhat common to the 2007 Traditions and I probably did not need a front end alignment. Because my tires are new as of 08/17 I will just check them regularly with my tire depth gauge and watch for any abnormal wear patterns. Anyone else have a similar observation?

Thanks
Old 11-22-2017, 01:20 PM   #13

Air leak update. Got a second opinion. Told tech after sitting left front is always about 4 inches lower than the right after a few hours. Left front air bag has a pin hole. Bag being replaced. Hopefully front pressure loss resolved.
Old 11-22-2017, 01:52 PM   #14

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer23 View Post

Thank you.
So, you're saying that it goes to 0?
The front on ours will go down under 65psi triggering the alarm after some time, but not with one overnight. The rear stays up for a whole lot longer and for probably more than a week or so.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, light, newbie