Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2013, 03:24 PM   #1

newbie and pricing

hey Folks, enjoy reading everyone's posts on subjects A to Z, but I was wondering. I never see anything about pricing. is it a Taboo subject on this kind of site?
since I started looking at DPs I see a Wide array of prices in the Entegra, Tiffen, American Coach and Newmar ads. ive heard everything from "start at 40% off MSRP to wait till you go to a show to buy, because they don't want to transport the RVs back to the showrooms and they will really bargain.
No one seems to mention how they haggled and how much they paid for their motor homes. Again i'm a newbie and was just wondering if I could get some clarification. remember, be kind.
micciche57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2013, 03:49 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Glad you're here! There's no restriction on discussing pricing, and I'm sure our members will be happy to share their experiences with you. I would just comment that buying a motor home at a show might have some disadvantages: you would probably not get a PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection) and the dealer would not have the facilities to correct any warranty issues that were found. Taking delivery of a new RV should not be rushed, in fact most people would recommend that you spend at least a night living in the RV right there at the dealer. That is unlikely to happen at a show.

Keep us posted as you search continues!
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:54 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
You don't see a lot of pricing here because there are so many options that can be added to a coach. Makes it hard to compare apples to apples. It is true if you go to one of the major shows and find the MH yoou are looking for there is a lot a leeway in the prices and the dealers are wanting to move out the inventory. there is nothing wrong with starting out at a low price. You can always raise your offer. Just see how the dealer responds to your offer and go from there.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:54 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by micciche57 View Post
hey Folks, enjoy reading everyone's posts on subjects A to Z, but I was wondering. I never see anything about pricing. is it a Taboo subject on this kind of site?
since I started looking at DPs I see a Wide array of prices in the Entegra, Tiffen, American Coach and Newmar ads. ive heard everything from "start at 40% off MSRP to wait till you go to a show to buy, because they don't want to transport the RVs back to the showrooms and they will really bargain.
No one seems to mention how they haggled and how much they paid for their motor homes. Again i'm a newbie and was just wondering if I could get some clarification. remember, be kind.
Nope, done all the time. You will get plenty of advice that will be all over the place. A good starting point I at least 20 percent off of MSRP. Start haggling there, try and get some upgades thrown in...most importantly do nott be afraid to walk away if you feel they are toying with you or not taking you serious. When you get to a point where you are comfortable and at an affordable price point for you....that's when you have to decide to obligate. Do take your time , run the numbers yourself, shop around, test drive. When you have a model in mind go to the different forums and ask owners of that model their thoughts. If you are looking at a Forrest River or Coachmen product, go to the Forrest River Forum where you can get down to th nuts and bolts with owners. Other manufacturers have forrums too.
mlvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:35 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi micciche57,
I look at this a bit differently. Find what you want. Have the sales person write a sales contract for the price you are willing to pay. Be ready to provide a earnest money check. All this is good for 24 hours. Let the dealer decide if they want the sale or not. Now, how much to offer. That is impossible to determine unless we know the brand you are considering and the model within the Brand. Is it a model year end closeout or the new model year coach? I would not be embarrassed to offer 25% below MSRP on a new model year coach. 33% below MSRP for a year end closeout.

I'm not much of a haggler. I offer to pay what I consider the value of the coach. The dealer can accept or reject my offer.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:18 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
... I would not be embarrassed to offer 25% below MSRP on a new model year coach. 33% below MSRP for a year end closeout...
I agree with Gary. I'd offer 67% of the MSRP on even a current model year and be happy with anything up to 75%. There's a TON of markup in the recreational market.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:42 AM   #7

I would ask the question of dealing with a dealer who represents Company "A" and you want to order a new coach with certain features. And pickup at dealer or factory. Is there room to haggle there or are you limiting yourself to a fixed price? Thanks!!

Bill
merc669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:40 AM   #8

Pricing is tuff to nail down and shows don't always give the best price, they are the best place to start though. We purchased our first MH at the Indy FMCA rally. Got 26% off and a tow bar and washer/dryer combo thrown in. This was on one of there most popular models. Felt we did good.
At the Syracuse rally we negotiated for a new MH but our previous dealer, not at the show, came in significantly below the show price. So, it pays to do your shopping.
Because we had a trade this time we negotiated strictly on the price difference so I can't say if we got a lot for our trade or a lot off the MSRP.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:55 AM   #9

I offered 43% off.

They took it.
I thought it was just gonna be the low point to bargain from.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:08 PM   #10

43% that was a GREAT deal! congrats to you. We are looking at the Entegra Cornerstone for the most part. 2012 low mileage or 2013-2104 new. love the interior layout. I've heard and read good things about the build outs of the unit and the power of the 600 hp. love to hear any comments about them from you fine folks. thanks again everyone for responding.
micciche57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by micciche57 View Post
43% that was a GREAT deal! congrats to you. We are looking at the Entegra Cornerstone for the most part. 2012 low mileage or 2013-2104 new. love the interior layout. I've heard and read good things about the build outs of the unit and the power of the 600 hp. love to hear any comments about them from you fine folks. thanks again everyone for responding.
The Entegra Owner's Corner has lots of info.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:08 PM   #12
D333RLT Tower

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
Pricing is tuff to nail down and shows don't always give the best price, they are the best place to start though. We purchased our first MH at the Indy FMCA rally. Got 26% off and a tow bar and washer/dryer combo thrown in. This was on one of there most popular models. Felt we did good.
At the Syracuse rally we negotiated for a new MH but our previous dealer, not at the show, came in significantly below the show price. So, it pays to do your shopping.
Because we had a trade this time we negotiated strictly on the price difference so I can't say if we got a lot for our trade or a lot off the MSRP.
Good point. I've found that some dealers knock a lot off of MSRP but then offer a ridiculous amount for your trade.

Tags