Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-20-2014, 10:51 AM   #1
Tiffin Owners Club
Newbie - Big rig Driving School?

Hello Again - we are brand new, and are still in the research mode for learning which motor home we want to buy to go full timing late this August. We are thinking of a diesel coach that's 40 to 44 feet. I know they will have airbrakes, and we will be towing a small SUV. (likely with M&G brakes) it may have a tag axle.
Does anyone know of any good schools/training for driving a coach this big? We live outside of Sacramento in CA at this time.
Many thanks in advance for your advice.

Byron & Cyndy Streitz
2010 Allegro Bus 43 QGP (August 13, 2014), Powerglide chasis
2008 Honda CRV, Even Brake
Bstreitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2014, 11:04 AM   #2
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You could ask the RV dealers where you are shopping if they know of any classes anywhere local.

I just did a Google search on "RV driving school" and several came up.

2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD, W22, 8.1, 7.1 MPG
2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:17 AM   #3
Yes! I definitely do and just got back from a trip to the Sacramento area where my dad took lessons.

When my husband and I bought our rig in August in 2013 in Grass Valley we contacted RvSchool.com and arranged driving lessons with a local instructor by the name of Frank Piccilo. The lessons were four hours per day for two days. They consisted of highway, street and mountain driving, learning how to do your left and right turns so you don't take any one/thing out, backing up and into camping spots, how all your hook ups work...shoot prettying everything. The bulk of the time is spent on actual driving however.

Last week we were back at the dealership for warranty work and arranged for Frank to give instructions to my dad. My dad also loved the lessons and found them extremely useful. My folks want to borrow our rig on occasion and we said yes as long as dad took lessons!

If you want further info or details pleas feel free to let me know.
Orangepeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 01:24 PM   #4

Both posts are good advice. I know many RV dealer will either offer RV courses, or they can recommend a place to you. I had a friend get lessons from a dealer. The charge was $100 for the day and he was very satisfied with the instruction he received.
Tony & Ruth........... FMCA#F416727
Newmar Dutch Star 4320, Spartan MM Chassis, Cat C9, Jeep Grand Cherokee,with Hemi, hooked up with a Blue Ox Aventa LX, and Brake Buddy.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 03:45 PM   #5
Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome and glad to meet you!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 04:13 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Byron & Cyndy! Welcome to IRV2! It's great to have you join us!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 04:24 PM   #7
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Don't sell your home for a few years, you might not like full timing.
hydro45640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 06:17 PM   #8
Here's another angle to consider. Most cities and towns have a public bus service or a school bus service. Call their main office and ask what training classes they recommend for potential drivers. With the exception of pulling a trailer, the operation of a coach and a bus are virtually identical (and the test IS identical ~ you just end up with a Non-commercial class B instead of a Commercial license in CA). You are only required to have this type of license in CA if your coach exceeds 40', but it's required if you do!

I lucked out and the company I used was awesome, they had a great training course, knew exactly what I would be tested on and (equally importantly) accompanied me on the drive to take the test at DMV. (Driving without a licensed driver results in an immediate fail for the behind-the-wheel portion).

Another solid suggestion: There are some great on-line videos that will help you mentally understand a lot, long before you ever get behind the wheel. I watched and studies them all, and only missed a single point on the driving test (the instructor said she never gives a perfect score).

Good luck, relax and enjoy the experience!
MarkofSJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 11:10 AM   #9
Originally Posted by Bstreitz View Post
We are thinking of a diesel coach that's 40 to 44 feet. I know they will have airbrakes, and we will be towing a small SUV.
Many thanks in advance for your advice.

Be aware that if the rig exceeds 40' you will be required to possess a Class B non-commercial drivers license in California.

The law assumes that if measures more than 40' it is required.

Therefore, just because the manufacturer calls the rig a 40 footer, it may be longer than 40'.

MarkofSJC gives a great solution.

Many folks have struggled with identifying what rig to use and an accompanying driver to arrive with the rig for the Class B driving test. His approach is the most concise that I have heard of.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 11:45 AM   #10
Frank Piccilo

If you want the best instructor, Frank Piccolo is the only way to go. He has over 40 years of driving & instructing drivers of 80,000 lb bombs (gas tankers). Very good & careful. You can go cheap or "know it all" as others may suggest, but it's only your life (and others) you're playing with. He & his co-workers are always at the FMCA rallies including the up coming Redmond OR gathering.

Bill, Sandy & our GSP Lilly
Bill Dean is offline   Reply With Quote