Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2013, 05:08 PM   #15

Lots of great info...to respond to some of ya'lls questions... $70k is just for coach..traveling expenses tax and repairs are in our separate budget...38-40 foot is to protect for the chance that we love it so much we start using it 2-3 months or more at a time and even tho I love DW above life itself I will prob need some elbow room and don't want to go shopping right away for bigger coach..we will be doing some mountain travel with a toad...also am handy dandy repair kinda guy...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2013, 05:18 PM   #16

Freightliner Owners Club
Sounds like your just starting out on the hunt and not yet sure what your hunting for? We all started somewhere and starting here is a great start. We also were looking for 3-4 slides and wanted a DP. We looked at everything. After the first dozen or so we got the idea of what tickled our fancy. 50 MH's later we found one by owner on Craig's List that was garaged, seller had all invoices, new paint and tires for 58K. Had only 2 slides but the way it opened up inside you'd swear it had 4. You have to perform your due diligence along with all the above recommendations, but there is no reason you won't find what you want. Good Luck and Happy Hunting!

Old 12-15-2013, 06:08 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by csrrsr View Post
Sounds like your just starting out on the hunt and not yet sure what your hunting for? We all started somewhere and starting here is a great start. We also were looking for 3-4 slides and wanted a DP. We looked at everything. After the first dozen or so we got the idea of what tickled our fancy. 50 MH's later we found one by owner on Craig's List that was garaged, seller had all invoices, new paint and tires for 58K. Had only 2 slides but the way it opened up inside you'd swear it had 4. You have to perform your due diligence along with all the above recommendations, but there is no reason you won't find what you want. Good Luck and Happy Hunting!
That's a good point about the slides. Some are way bigger than others. Our main slide pushes out the living and dinning area. A very large slide. Ours has 2 slides (main and bedroom) and we really don't long for more room. More is always better but at what cost. Ours fit our needs very well. Even when we had a family of 5 stay with us.

I was told by our selling dealer that kitchen/bath slides don't move out as far as non plumbed sides (aka living/dinning areas). If this is true, may be a consideration also.

Not sure what sized holding and fresh water tanks come on the DP's, but definitely look for large tanks. Ours are 100gallons fresh and 50/50 Grey/black. Would like a larger grey tank though for no drain campsites. The 100 Gal fresh works great for boondocking.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:09 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Don't do what I did, 7 or so years ago we bought our first motor home an older c class with a big block ford and it was an adventure for sure, the bed was over the cab and I never did get used to banging my head every morning. Next we got a 5er, had to buy a truck and a bunch of other stuff to pull it around, it was ok once you got to where you were going and set it up but that was a process. Traded that in on a 34 ft knight which was a nice unit but by now I am obsessed and need more room,more air bags and more power so hopefully this is it a 40 + ft diplomat which I shoulda bought in the first place. Do you research and get your near to last coach first.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:46 PM   #19

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainkoop View Post
New to The scene.. We are shopping for a class A DP to use in our retirement. We won't be full timers but plan to take multiple 4-5 week trips yearly. Our budget is $70,000 ish. Our wants are 38-40 ft 3 or 4 slide out unit. 2001-2005 model year. We are looking for advice on what RV is the best quality that's fits our wish list.

Thanks Captainkoop.
CaptainKoop..
Welcome aboard!
We started with a 26 foot GMC class A. Agreat old coach that we quickly grew out of.. I still remember telling my wife on a winter trip to Arizona 'If we are gonna do this we have to get something bigger.. Then about 5 years ago we moved up to a 40 foot American Eagle with no slides.. It was a terrific coach.. But this year while we were at Lake Havasu.. My wife announced.. We need slides.. So this spring I searched and bought a 40 foot Travel Supreme with 4 slides.. It was just a little higher than your budget but a beautiful coach with full records , tires 2 years old and always stored inside.. Wow what room!
The warnings about not fitting your lifestyle all have some merit.. But if you but carefully even if you decided it's not for you your won't get hurt too badly..
I sold my Eagle for more than I paid for it after 4 years and it didn't cost too much in maintenance and a few minor repairs.. The new owner just sent me a Christmas card and he has gone over 10K this season and loves it..
Be reasonable.. Be careful and buy high end coach and don't look back!
Getting ready for Lake Havasu again..
Merry Christmas all..
Ron Husak
04 Travel Supreme 40DS04
rhusak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:12 AM   #20

Got lucky so far.

We purchased a 2000 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40J four years ago for 50,100 on Ebay out of Texas it has one large slide spend around 5-6 months a year in it could use a little more HP it has the 300 cat but we do pull a Dodge Dakota and it is a bit heavy. Yes more slides is better but we are happy with what we got very few problems just minor and yes we will probably move up to a newer one in a few years but love what we have I would go lower on the year but try to purchase better quality brand the UA 40J was just shay of the best unit from Winn that year.
Go to Ebay and look .
Old 12-26-2013, 04:26 AM   #21

Good Advice
Old 12-26-2013, 07:46 AM   #22

In 2010 we purchased a 2000 Newmar Dutch Star Diesel for $50K with 2 slides and went fulltime. After 3 1/2yrs. and traveling coast to coast, border to border, Alaska to Florida we have no regrets except for a few places we missed in between and have to go back to. It took over 2 yrs. to find our coach, as I searched every web site and read everything I could find. Almost pulled the trigger a few times, but I'm glad I waited for this one. After a few modifications over the years we've been offered more than what I paid for it. But I'd never be able to replace it. I tried to narrow my search down to three manufacturers that I thought we'd like. Then started looking at floor plans, after all it's where you'll be living. Don't get caught up in all the glitz, it's what you don't see right away that's important. An old advertising saying is "Sell the sizzle, not the steak". I completely agree that all records are paramount, don't take anyone's word that all maint. has been done religiously. If no records...just walk away. With due diligence you'll find the coach that is just right for you.
Old 12-27-2013, 05:46 PM   #23

My two cents...get a check list (wish list) for items you prefer..such as aluminum wheels, 4 door refrig, power driver and pass visors, etc. After we looked for a while, we couldn't remember features on each unit. And most importantly...floor plan first!
road glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 08:06 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpatime View Post
I agree, 70, 000 for a DP is on the low end of the market ....uness you have the experiance to repair,and maintain the complex systems that most pushers use . Most 12 to 15 year old coaches are already on the downside of their life.There is a great selection of used class A gas coaches that are closer to your budget

WAAAAYYY not true.... this coach for 79k is a great deal, PLUS there is negotiation room, and the dealer is a good dealer who will help

2005 MONACO KNIGHT 3 SLIDES DIESEL Free Warranty & Wood Floors

They are out there buddy, you just gotta HUNT and HUNT a little, don't give up, if you want a DP, get a DP.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 08:08 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
I also have a buddy who found a Berkshire listed for 189,000... wanna know what he ended up paying for it?? 89,000! So there is room to be a bully in this market.. coaches are STACKED TO THE CEILING on dealer lots - trust me - take your time though, the right one will fall right in your lap!
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
Old 12-27-2013, 08:10 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
In 2010 we purchased a 2000 Newmar Dutch Star Diesel for $50K with 2 slides and went fulltime. After 3 1/2yrs. and traveling coast to coast, border to border, Alaska to Florida we have no regrets except for a few places we missed in between and have to go back to. It took over 2 yrs. to find our coach, as I searched every web site and read everything I could find. Almost pulled the trigger a few times, but I'm glad I waited for this one. After a few modifications over the years we've been offered more than what I paid for it. But I'd never be able to replace it. I tried to narrow my search down to three manufacturers that I thought we'd like. Then started looking at floor plans, after all it's where you'll be living. Don't get caught up in all the glitz, it's what you don't see right away that's important. An old advertising saying is "Sell the sizzle, not the steak". I completely agree that all records are paramount, don't take anyone's word that all maint. has been done religiously. If no records...just walk away. With due diligence you'll find the coach that is just right for you.
NOW you're talking! See, just hunt, and don't be afraid of 2000 and up. These are built right and will last really well unless someone just trashes them. So if your budget is 70k, then start looking in the 130k range, cause you can seriously negotiate as you go.. it's your market my friend.
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
Old 12-30-2013, 07:03 AM   #27

I found this creampuff American Eagle a few months ago for 35k. Clean as a whistle, many upgrades. I think this will be fine for us for 10 years plus. This is my 4th coach.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	eagle5.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	543.9 KB
ID:	52858   Click image for larger version

Name:	eagle1.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	597.4 KB
ID:	52859  

Click image for larger version

Name:	americaneagle.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	52860  
Old 12-30-2013, 07:48 AM   #28

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am no expert but I have friends who have owned many DP's new. They picked a Dutch Star finally after years of owning other brands. After being around them and it for a number of years I concluded that it represents a good quality coach at a reasonable price when stacked up against the others in it's class.

Assuming you have done your homework on the need for a DP in your plans you could do worse so you may want to consider looking at the Dutch Stars in your price range and see what you think?

Personally I am sitting in a very well maintained National RV Dolphin LX that will make someone a fine used Class A gasser in the future for a lot less than $70,000. I know because it is mine, one owner, has all the maintenance records and original manuals. So these are out there as well. Doesn't hurt to look if for any reason DP is not a firm restriction to you.

That being said, I believe all the advantages of a DP are solid reasons to buy one but not always solid reasons to pay the additional money if as in our case it was unnecessary.

njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags