Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2014, 05:54 PM   #15

PS: Muscle car City is not in Sarasota it is in Punta Gorda in what was once a Wal mart.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2014, 06:14 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
we leave third week march too

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaner View Post
an open aluminum trailer with our 85 Caddy Eldo Convert. First night at Corvette Musuem in Kentucky and then to southern Georgia before we head to Bradenton.
We are heading out the third week of March. Our 72 E Jag was taken down to our place in Englewood last November. I know what you mean about the traffic in Atlanta. We regularly travel up to Clemson from Fl and take only smaller back roads around Atlanta.

Take some time to visit the beaches in Venice. It is a nice place to spend a sunset. We will be there for about a month and have to get back to work. This is my last year working. Been in the electronic security business since 1983 and now time to retire. It will be a shock to walk away from all that work and income. But time to sell the business.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:39 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
looking forward to getting away. Way too cold and to think I use to love winters. We have been to Bradenton the last three summers in a condo but am looking forward to the adventure of the RV. We had a super C but didn't travel very far with it. As far as my car on the trailer,I have upgraded from a 1983 Buick Riv Convert(was in Riv Club) to my present 1985 Eldo Convert. The golf clubs fit so nice in that trunk. Love the Packer bar on Longboat key and a restaurant overlooking the Moose Lodge. Best Lobster Fritters around.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:01 PM   #18
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
We just purchased a 2007 Excursion 40E and are looking to head to Bradenton Florida from northeast Wisconsin toward the end of March. We have taken a couple trips in smaller RVs but are looking at a much bigger journey this time. We plan on towing an open aluminum trailer with our 85 Caddy Eldo Convert. First night at Corvette Musuem in Kentucky and then to southern Georgia before we head to Bradenton. I put new tires on the coach, checked furnaces and am planning on de-winterizing mid March to make sure plumbing is working. Purchased Good Sam Roadside. Any other suggestions?

Enjoy our travels.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:44 PM   #19

I just read that Corvette museum was damaged by a sinkhole and cars were damaged! I truly hope you made it there prior to the damage.

Check out this article from USA TODAY:

Sinkhole swallows 8 cars at Ky. Corvette museum

http://usat.ly/1er16rZ

Sent from my iPhone
Old 02-12-2014, 06:59 PM   #20

Yes, a large sink hole hit the museum parking lot (area for exhibited Vettes)

When you get 20 miles from your Florida destination, Google "self store facilities" and find a cheaper place to drop your trailer. One that has a security fence. $10 a day in a gravel lot is pure silliness. Security? Probably not. If depositing a trailer in an unused area is 10 dollars, lot rent would need to be $80 - $90 a day.
Papawto5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:27 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
PS: Muscle car City is not in Sarasota it is in Punta Gorda in what was once a Wal mart.

Right... in Sarasota, there is the Sarasota Classic Car Museum.
Old 02-13-2014, 03:04 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
Plan on having lunch in their 50's diner. By the way, you're not so long, I'm about 65' with my Vette inside the trailer. KOA always seems to have long pull thrus.
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 04:28 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Rusty Years, What year Vette do you have? We have sold 24 of the new C7's. Quite a car!!!
Old 02-14-2014, 12:54 PM   #24

Quote:
Rusty Years, What year Vette do you have? We have sold 24 of the new C7's. Quite a car!!!
It's 2002 I used to show every weekend in So Fla. Custom paint stripes, chromed over under the hood. I spent about 15 yrs in the wholesale and retail car business ending up as a consultant. It doesn't make sense to buy a new one to haul around the country in a trailer as a toad as I'm f/t RV. It's a big hit at the rv parks as you can imagine since everyone has either a p/u or suv.

Click image for larger version

Name:	New Scarlet Picture.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	662.3 KB
ID:	56105

Name:	Rt Rear View.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	481.0 KB
ID:	56106

Name:	Scarlet's Engine.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	157.4 KB
ID:	56107
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 04:17 PM   #25

A friend who is a Mitsubishi dealer in Michigan, and a fellow Featherlite trailer owner, cautions me to always secure my trailer when parked. He claims that thefts of Aluminum trailers is way up. Just sayin'.

Since you're a dealer, you already know about the Corvette museum sinkhole damage, but there may be a lot of construction equipment in the parking lot.

Have a great time with your new RV...

Quote:
We just purchased a 2007 Excursion 40E and are looking to head to Bradenton Florida from northeast Wisconsin toward the end of March. We have taken a couple trips in smaller RVs but are looking at a much bigger journey this time. We plan on towing an open aluminum trailer with our 85 Caddy Eldo Convert. First night at Corvette Musuem in Kentucky and then to southern Georgia before we head to Bradenton. I put new tires on the coach, checked furnaces and am planning on de-winterizing mid March to make sure plumbing is working. Purchased Good Sam Roadside. Any other suggestions?
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:05 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
it doesn't have to aluminum

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
A friend who is a Mitsubishi dealer in Michigan, and a fellow Featherlite trailer owner, cautions me to always secure my trailer when parked. He claims that thefts of Aluminum trailers is way up. Just sayin'...
We keep our enclosed 24 foot on the street. Just the other day this fellow knocks on the front door to tell me about his trailer. He keeps his in front of his home on the street. He said, Mine is just like your but I want to tell you make sure you lock it up real good. Just the other day somebody hooked up and started down the street with it and my race car inside. Luckily, I had the wheel nuts off one wheel and it fell off. He left it there just two block from my home.

then he told me that people were stealing the break battery, release cable and wiring too. Well up to this point I never really concerned myself with a theft. Figured it was register and so forth.

I went back to my shop and found some 1/8" aluminum plate. I cut it to shape the frame and bent a 90* on it to cover the battery and wires, then drilled and self tap (security head) screws to secure to the frame. Went to Wally World and got a ball hitch lock and a hitch lever lock. Went to the internet and ordered a wheel lock, (aotaman) about $40 got it in two days. Also took of the jack screw handle. Now I feel a little better and thank my new friend for his advice.

Next, when the frost leaves the ground, will dig a 2 ft. deep hole next to the curb line and put a bent piece of re-rod into a bag of cement mix. the loop end of the rod will be about 3 inches below the sod and covered with a green plastic drain cover from HD, when not being used to connect my ten foot 1/2 inch security cable to the frame with a Philadelphia crack proof security lock.

Don't need to loose $8K trailer to some jerk thief. If he comes here he will have his picture on my NVR with true starlight 3mpx HD IP cameras on the front of the house.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:23 PM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
The C5's have a special place in my heart. We had a customized 2000 Convertible that was a favorite for many trips across country. I remember the time a group of four Vettes including my wife and I were heading to Corvettes of the Rockies and got pulled over in Nebraska at night. The officer came up to the window and told us they had been looking for four Vettes from Wisconsin through three counties. Got away with a warning after traveling with the cruise set at close to 100 mph. But I degress.

Tags
florida, newbie