Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2016, 09:57 PM   #15

Hey MSG,

Will do, Master Sargent!
Prior to looking at RV's the wife and I were looking for land and a smaller home in East Tennessee or KY...
Originally from PA and MD, but that was before I joined the military at 17, in 73...
We are looking at all possibilities....

V/R,
Spook

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2016, 10:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryvan View Post
found my bookmark, you might contact them to find all the good/ bad on the alpha.
DEBCAR Home Page
Thanks for the link, was reading their information at work...
On breaks of course.
Appreciate it...
Spooky006

Old 08-31-2016, 10:23 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
you are right on some points. the full body paint is {as many others} only on there premium models...even on the premium model the things like cabinet shelves and sides are not solid wood. like in the alfa gold i just bought the amenities are as much or more than any coach made.. gold has full body paint { and my coach looks as good an any that is cared for}ect...now the delam you mention is not gonna happen 14 yrs later ..it happens within few years and mostly in north freezing temps. i know like you said "lots of conversation on alfa over years" is a common comment. but none of those conversing actually owned one..every coach has something, not? well i could go on and on but you get my point. the coach one has is always the best, eh?. not knocking your thoughts but just a little defense like any one does for there Girl....
Hey BeenThere -

Also, the seller mentioned in an email to me, he stated:
"The outside is weathered, I had it completely buffed out last summer."

What does he mean by the that... "Outside is weathered"

Spooky006
Old 08-31-2016, 10:41 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludmilla View Post
Make sure you can get a complete maintenance history and make sure that the recommended maintenance was done over the years. Repairs can be very expensive. Also make sure there are no issues with the paint or with the sidewalls. Carefully inspect for any water damage. Look at the age of the tires. Have an independent inspector look at it.
Thanks...
thats what I was thinking and was looking around at the cost of inspections...
Between $400 - $1200, depending on the 3 levels of inspections... $800 for a middle inspection is a good chuck of change for me - but it's better than sitting in a repair shop spending more money...

Spooky006
Old 09-01-2016, 07:52 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooky006 View Post
Thanks...
thats what I was thinking and was looking around at the cost of inspections...
Between $400 - $1200, depending on the 3 levels of inspections... $800 for a middle inspection is a good chuck of change for me - but it's better than sitting in a repair shop spending more money...
Spooky006

Better to loose $400 - $1200 on an inspection than to loose the thousands it might cost you to fix major defects... (or the thousands you will loose when you sell it to get rid of the defects).
Old 09-01-2016, 10:06 AM   #20

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
there is a thing called 'alfa cancer' that is the pitting of the exterior. Seems to be quite common but does not affect operation - only visual.
Old 09-01-2016, 11:12 AM   #21

by weathered if it were me i would assume that as being a coach with no paint and just decals that it was never cared for. if it looked like the shotgun sides then that is not weathered.. Now some runs of the walls had moisture under the glass mats. and those spotted in first few years...no i am not saying its best coach ..heck i looked at so many coaches in the '97 - 2005 when we first started.. and a lot of any of the good brands had looked like **** . doesnt mean the cared for ones are that way..i think most know that non gel or painted walls need a lot of care or garaged or covered or waxed and washed regular. the see ya founder was entry coach then the see ya, then the see ya gold . im not trying to make you or anybody else want to like them. just not all are as you say just like in any brand...my n
Newmar London Aire looks real bad with all the spider cracks was even repainted before i got it to hide it and only lasted one yr..but it still worked good n drove good...and inside is nice. lots Newmar's had this in the certain yrs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooky006 View Post
Hey BeenThere -

Also, the seller mentioned in an email to me, he stated:
"The outside is weathered, I had it completely buffed out last summer."

What does he mean by the that... "Outside is weathered"

Spooky006
Old 09-01-2016, 11:16 AM   #22

Have met many Alfa owners who love them. Very unique coaches, but like any motorhome, condition and maintenance is key.

There is an outfit in the LA Inland Empire specializing in Alfa's. I think they are called Alfateers! Have a good friend who suffered blowout damage who is having his Alfa repaired as I am typing.

Spooky.....thanks for your service from a Vietnam Vet CTO flying out of Danang airbase January 1970-January 1971.
Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 02:41 PM   #23

Hey spooky I thought I would chime in here since I also have an almost unknown model. I wasn't an expert when I was looking. At first I just wanted a cheap gas unit and be done with it just to see.
If YOU like the unit and the Alfa is sitting on a good chassis and engine on which it is and you are handy w some cash.
I don't regret my decision as I have looked at other units and what they offered me on trade is something to smile at.
Good luck....
Old 09-01-2016, 04:30 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillsDP View Post
Hey spooky I thought I would chime in here since I also have an almost unknown model. I wasn't an expert when I was looking. At first I just wanted a cheap gas unit and be done with it just to see.
If YOU like the unit and the Alfa is sitting on a good chassis and engine on which it is and you are handy w some cash.
I don't regret my decision as I have looked at other units and what they offered me on trade is something to smile at.
Good luck....
WillsDP -

Thanks for the feedback... appreciate it.

Barry
Old 09-01-2016, 04:31 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wbonsell View Post
Have met many Alfa owners who love them. Very unique coaches, but like any motorhome, condition and maintenance is key.

There is an outfit in the LA Inland Empire specializing in Alfa's. I think they are called Alfateers! Have a good friend who suffered blowout damage who is having his Alfa repaired as I am typing.

Spooky.....thanks for your service from a Vietnam Vet CTO flying out of Danang airbase January 1970-January 1971.
Bill -

Like you mentioned - "condition and maintenance is the key". Am leaning towards an inspection (if he will allow it), - the other option is a dealer and doing the same inspection and work in a Extended Warranty.

Thank You for Serving too - Shipmate!!!
I know some guys who flew in the Willie Victors with VQ1 out of Danang.
I'm an ex CTO1(SW/NAC) and flew out of Atsugi, Japan for 6 years. Spent a lot of my time flying in the Persian Gulf, Korea, and numerous other places. I didn't fly in the Willie V's, but I flew in the EP-3B's and EP-3E's.

v/r,
B6
aka spooky006

Tags