Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2016, 10:51 AM   #1

Newbie has a friend at work with a 2002 Alfa DP

Hello All:

Your advise would be greatly appreciated.
I know the Alfa's are no longer in production, and there is a support forum somewhere I located recently.

There's a guy at work and we share the same interests, motorcycles etc.
Lately, he mentioned he had a 38' 2002 Alfa See Ya. I checked online and found it has a lot of bells & whistles. Has a Cat 300HP or 330HP with a 5-speed Allison transmission with 30k plus miles, several slide-outs, awning, had new tires put on 2 years ago with only 100 miles on them (so, its been sitting in storage or at the RV Park).

He is asking mid $30's, but I am leery as I dont want to go into too much debt unless I pull some funds out of savings.

The wife and I sold the house, and I am eligible to retire Jan 1st from my job. So we are looking to get out of the apartment we are in now, when the lease is up 12/1.

Next week is the Dallas RV Show, and will be there to take a look see.

Spooky006
Retired Navy
ex Crypto Tech
spooky006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2016, 11:28 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
as for price....look for similar models 4 sales on RVtrader or craigslist nationwide search, see what price range shows up.
trimacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 11:40 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spooky006 View Post
.....He is asking mid $30's, but I am leery as I dont want to go into too much debt unless I pull some funds out of savings. ....

You're already giving away money each week on the lease. If you and your wife both agree I think you should give it a try. Keep the money in savings for peace of mind and repairs.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 11:46 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimacon View Post
as for price....look for similar models 4 sales on RVtrader or craigslist nationwide search, see what price range shows up.
Just did a quick search on RVTRADER.COM, looks to be below what is being asked...

Next step... give the group specific information and you could become one of the most educated/informed buyers out there... this group is awesome on bring you up to speed on a particular year/make/model

Good Luck !!!
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 11:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimacon View Post
Between NADA, RVTrader, and PPLmotorhomes - from what I saw as far as pricing for 2000-2006 (if there was an Alfa in 2000) prices varied between mid 40's to mid 60's plus.
spooky006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 11:53 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I think I read some where on this or another forum that Alfa's had some serious problems with delamination. I would do some research on this subject first.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 12:03 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I always like a few attributes of the Alpha, unfortunately they went under. There is a support group in Ca I believe. I think a few of them had issues with the outer gel coat looking like it was hit with bb's. There is a guy that posts in the living full time that travels the country with his Alpha and works on some kind of simulators, towing a bmw 4 down. He put a murphy bed in the back for an office. Took down the overhead tv. The prices I've seen over the past 4 months are 30-50k for 2002-2005 if my crs is not getting to me...
Old 08-31-2016, 12:04 PM   #8

I'd be looking for confirmation on engine and transmission , if the seller doesn't know what the equipment on the coach is , how do you know what you're buying, and how to check pricing.
Allison 5 speed ?? Should be a 6 speed given the year.
Old 08-31-2016, 12:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooky006 View Post
Hello All:
Your advise would be greatly appreciated.
I know the Alfa's are no longer in production, and there is a support forum somewhere I located recently.
There's a guy at work and we share the same interests, motorcycles etc.
Lately, he mentioned he had a 38' 2002 Alfa See Ya. I checked online and found it has a lot of bells & whistles. Has a Cat 300HP or 330HP with a 5-speed Allison transmission with 30k plus miles, several slide-outs, awning, had new tires put on 2 years ago with only 100 miles on them (so, its been sitting in storage or at the RV Park).
He is asking mid $30's, but I am leery as I dont want to go into too much debt unless I pull some funds out of savings.
Spooky006
spooky006
According to NADAGUIDES that Alfa See Ya has a 330hp Cat and is worth $33,000 - $39,750:
2002 Alfa See-Ya Series M-36FD 330hp Prices and Used Values | NADAguides
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 12:40 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
found my bookmark, you might contact them to find all the good/ bad on the alpha.
DEBCAR Home Page
Old 08-31-2016, 03:59 PM   #11

Make sure you can get a complete maintenance history and make sure that the recommended maintenance was done over the years. Repairs can be very expensive. Also make sure there are no issues with the paint or with the sidewalls. Carefully inspect for any water damage. Look at the age of the tires. Have an independent inspector look at it.
Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 04:22 PM   #12

Lots of conversation on Alpha's over the years--some good some not so good. Not to offend anyone but my belief was that the manufacturer was trying to meet a lower price point for their product. As I recall, they did not have full-body paint, and by some view points, their style of cargo doors was somewhat unique to the industry. All this aside, the fact that a 2002 rig only has 30k+miles on it suggests that it has been parked most of its life--not necessarily a good thing for diesel engines in particular, and RVs in general.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:10 PM   #13

Hey Spook; thanks for your service!

We have a couple of Alphas for sale around these parts of Kentucky for a bit more than what yours is listed at. They surely look good in the pictures and I've been tempted to go take a close look at the one just down the road from me.

Let us know what comes of it!

G.
Ret. USA MSG
Goofy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 08:23 PM   #14

you are right on some points. the full body paint is {as many others} only on there premium models...even on the premium model the things like cabinet shelves and sides are not solid wood. like in the alfa gold i just bought the amenities are as much or more than any coach made.. gold has full body paint { and my coach looks as good an any that is cared for}ect...now the delam you mention is not gonna happen 14 yrs later ..it happens within few years and mostly in north freezing temps. i know like you said "lots of conversation on alfa over years" is a common comment. but none of those conversing actually owned one..every coach has something, not? well i could go on and on but you get my point. the coach one has is always the best, eh?. not knocking your thoughts but just a little defense like any one does for there Girl....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Lots of conversation on Alpha's over the years--some good some not so good. Not to offend anyone but my belief was that the manufacturer was trying to meet a lower price point for their product. As I recall, they did not have full-body paint, and by some view points, their style of cargo doors was somewhat unique to the industry. All this aside, the fact that a 2002 rig only has 30k+miles on it suggests that it has been parked most of its life--not necessarily a good thing for diesel engines in particular, and RVs in general.

Tags