Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2015, 07:33 PM   #1

Newbie has question regarding retrofiting to LED TV and better speakers

Just purchased an 08' Itasca Sunova 29R. Typical orginal equipment setup up front. Three cabinets. Left cabinet over drivers seat has the hookup for the satellite box. Center is the old style square TV mounted behind a wood panel. Right cabinet has the inverter and coach control box and a combo DVD player/VHS player. I have purchased a 32" LED TV and will be removing the old (heavy) TV and the DVD/VHS player. Will probably mount the new TV externally on the frame the previous TV sat behind. There are two speakers left and right the radio uses, however they don't produce a very good sound. I have looked at models on the internet that the same year/make, etc as my unit. I note that some people have done the TV retrofit and mounted external speakers on (Bose type) pedestals on the left and right of the cabinets on driver/passenger sides. I plan to purchase a new blue ray DVD player and dont' plan to replace the DVD/VHS player (would never use the VHS). It appears I would need some type of amplifier to power the speakers. Would be using an HDMI connection from the blue ray player to the TV, of course. Have any of you retrofitted your MHs in such a manner. Would I need to purchase a receiver to power the (Bose-style) speakers? And of course, the controller that would sent the blue ray signal to the rear TV does not have HDMI connections.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2015, 08:52 PM   #2

I priced a cable to go from a RCA port on my DVD to a HDMI port on my TV and found the cost at $70. I opted for a newer DVD. As for the speakers, I prefer an external Amp and when listening to music on Direct/Dish once I get the music tuned in I can turn off the TV.

Old 02-28-2015, 08:56 PM   #3

Try using a sound bar if u could fit one they have a built in amp and some come with a sub woofer and sound as good as old school stereos
Old 02-28-2015, 08:58 PM   #4

You could get cables a lot cheaper on Amazon
Old 02-28-2015, 08:58 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi,

The Blu Ray player will power the speakers.
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:12 AM   #6

nix the BlueRay player as an answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-NC View Post
Hi,
The Blu Ray player will power the speakers.
Combination receiver/BlueRay players will power external speakers. I haven't seen a BlueRay player that will power speakers directly.
The idea of a sound bar if mountable is excellent idea. Wish I had thought of them when I wired up my Winnebago Brave. Plus, they are available with wireless woofers and the woofers can power separate rear channel speakers for true 5.1 sound system.
Also, most TVs will have a VGA or RGB input that will accept the RCA output connections from your VHS Player if needed.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:37 AM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
X2, look into a sound bar
Old 03-01-2015, 09:22 AM   #8

I just did this upgrade. I used a Mor/Ryde mount that allows theTV to move forward and swivel. The bottom aiming speakers can be heard better. Backup plan is to put a ZVOX 220 in the left side cabinet since this cabinet is usually open anyhow for control of the electronic. I have a ZVOX 570 at home and really like it.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 10:52 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
I removed the CRT TV from my rig in 2013. I cut a piece of 1/2" plywood and mounted it using a couple of 2X4s, (to each side of the box). I used a flat TV mount to attach the 32" LED TV to the plywood. The sound was not so good on the JVC TV that I bought so, I bought a Phillips sound bar and mounted it inside the box below the TV, (the only brand that would fit in the box). The sub-woofer sits behind the TV. We usually only use the sound-bar when watching a movie. The TV has good enough sound for the news. I can also play music from my phone using the sound-bar. I had to fabricate a new frame around the TV. Think it looks good and I'm happy with it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1425271803.343821.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	87517Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1425271824.595007.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	87518

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 11:08 AM   #10

I have a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer with the same arrangement. I put a 32" Samsung TV in that area. I too used 3/4" plywood to hold an articulating TV mount. Took a day to do. I had to modify the wood facia to fit the TV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1425316129950.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	87542  
Old 03-02-2015, 05:56 PM   #11

Thank, your setup looks exactly like mine. Did you use the existing DVD player or go to a blue ray? Did you have to add an HD to analogue conversion unit between the TV and the RV controller? Sound for TV adequate, or did you add a sound bar?
Old 03-03-2015, 11:02 AM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I thought some of this might give you some ideas!

The head-banger is finally GONE!

One thing leads to another, and another, and another.....

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 11:12 AM   #13

Went with blue ray. New TV don't require a conversion. I did upgrade the antenna to one more enable to digital. Not a requirement though. Your antenna should work
Old 03-03-2015, 11:18 AM   #14

Pardon the Grammer in my last post. Darn phone has a mind of its own.

Tags