Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2012, 12:06 PM   #1

Newbie here with a few electrical questions

Hey all- I'm buying a 99 Gulf Stream 8342 MXD diesel pusher from a local acquaintance. I have previously owned a 92 Winnie 28' class C. This will be my first experience with a diesel pusher. It has a LP powered generator and 30-amp service panel. I like to boondock with the family and we live in southern Nevada, where it gets warm. I want to be able to run both roof ac's simultaneously, both while driving and on shore power. I also want to be able to take extra propane bottles with me when we boondock. I have done a lot of searching and reading about 50-amp conversions. I don't really need a true 50-amp conversion, just the ability to run 30+20 amps and bypass the front/rear ac selector switch in order to turn them both on at the same time. Most of the writeups i am reading involve coaches that already are able to run both units off shore power wih the switch in the "front" position. My new coach will not do that however. On shore power it will still only run one unit. Can anyone point me in the right direction to research this project? I want to do this safely, but I don't want to spend a ton of money.
Also, should I be able to add another "t" into the LP line to enable me to feed off extra aux portable LP tanks? If so, where would I start in approaching this mod?

I would love to just get a pusher with 50-amp service and a diesel generator, but the one I am getting is so clean and such a good deal I can't pass it up.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2012, 12:10 PM   #2

Sorry, I meant to say that the new MH will only run one roof AC unit at a time, whether it is on shore or gen power.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:34 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
How many watts is the genny?
On the genny, is there just a single breaKer, or 2?

Many 5-6 kw genniesz will have a 30 amp main, and a 20 amp secondaRy, and can run both a/c's.

To run both on a 30 amp coach takes some fancy power management.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:02 PM   #4

Huh. My genset will run both ACs regardless of where the AC selector switch is set. If yours won't I would think your genset is lower wattage then mine. Mine is 6500W, 54Amp. More then enough to run both. My rig is 30Amp.

I would think that the easiest way to run both would be on shore power. While you're driving, dash air and one AC would at least give you and family some relief.

Anyway, what many do is remove the cover of the rear AC and add a two position switch (On-Off-On) and a plug in for an extension cord...which is then plugged into a 20A circuit on the power post.

You might check the electrical box in the genset bay. If there was an optional genset offered for that model with higher output, the wiring back to the rear AC might already be there, so the extension cord could be wired to that.

You might re-check your finding that your genset won't run both...perhaps your AC selector switch needs to be in a certain position.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:13 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
For the LP problem, you can purchase an "Extend-A-Stay" or a "Stay-A-While". Both products come with all you need to add an LP bottle to your propane system. We bought a "deluxe" model which also includes the hose and fittings to use a propane grill.

As someone said, it's likely you can run both ACs if you have the right generator. Shore power is another matter. Many on this forum have done some modifications to allow them to use their 30amp plug for the coach, then add a 20amp cord to run the rear AC. I don't know the procedure, but it involves the 20amp circuit on the generator and the transfer switch.

Hopefully someone will chime in with specifics.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:26 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
The short of it is yes you can rewire it to 50 amp service but should be done by someone that knows how.
As to running both a/c off gen depends on what you have. Most 30 amp systems with 2
a/c have gens that have two outputs one 30 amp one 20 amp and they are wired so the a/c's are split but will not run off shore power together.
As stated above changing from 30 to 50 amp service needs to be done by someone
that knows what is involved or great damage will be done.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:45 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
IF the generator is less than 4,000 watts the odds of running both A/C's at once on genny are slim.. However if it's more than 4,000 watts odds are it will run both of them at once without any modifications or changes.

WHat I did to run both at once on 30 amps.

I "Broke out" (Technical term) the rear A/C.. Now exactly how to do this depends on many things. In my case the rear A/C has a circuit breaker dedicated to it, it connects directly to that breaker.. On your rig, I do NOT think this will be the case. (It most likely connects to the generator and prior to that things get a bit complex)

The key is to find the wire that actually runs to the air conditioner.. Disconnect it, and run it to a junction box.

Now take a 12ga extension cord, cut it in half, the PLUG half runs into the above described junction box, connects with proper connections to the wires, and on to the air conditioner.. I'm starting to not much like wire nuts by the way. (long story)

The OUTLET half goes to wherever you disconnected that wire from.

NOW: running on Generator, Plug cord halves into each other.

RUnning on 30 amp park service, Take a 2nd 12ga extension cord (NOT CUT) and using it plug the A/C directly into the 20 amp outlet on the pedistal.

It is now 100% different from the rest of the RV so there is no problem with GFCI's tripping or anything like that.

There used to be a web page www.psrv.net where I got the idea. NOTE this is NOT code.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:53 PM   #8

Before you go out and spend your $$'s on an "Extend-A-Stay" or a "Stay-A-While", get to your LP tank and do some investigating. You will want to split the LP line between the tank and the LP regulator, not downstream of the regulator. Some RV's use standard spud and female fittings in this location, and others do not. If yours does, the "Extend-A-Stay" or a "Stay-A-While" will work, if not you are wasting your money. We had a 2005 38' diesel Bounder that did not use the spuds, so check first. If you elect to go without the store bought fittings, you'll need a propane valve and a "T" in the line ahead of the regulator. a length of LP high pressure hose will go from your bottle to the new valve.

The procedure for switchover to an external bottle is:
1. close your on-board tank valve
2. Hook up the portable bottle and slowly open the bottle valve
3. Slowly open the newly installed shutoff valve you installed.

That's it. Just reverse the procedure for removing the bottle.

The all the propane valves must be slowly opened to stop the excess flow valves in the system from activating. These excess flow valves are in every propane spud, including the ones on the "Extend-A-Stay" and "Stay-A-While". They are also in the green hand knob that connects the propane hose to the bottle. In addition, some bottle valves (the new OPD ones) also have an excess flow valve incorporated. It's important to know this because if your Gulf Stream has multiple heaters in it and you try to run them off an external bottle the OPD's excess flow valve may set, cutting off just about all gas flow. There is a way to get around this, by which gas bottles you use. The excess flow valves in the spuds (including the green plastic one for the bottle hook up) can be drilled out if you find them to be a problem.

I can't see an issue about hooking up your second air conditioner. An either/or switch in it's line hooked to your secondary line should work fine. Put it in the one your electrical system wants to shut down first.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:59 PM   #9

Thx everyone. Great info. I have only looked in at the generator on this pusher once; I won't bring it home and start playing with it for about another week still. The previous owner says he thinks it is a Generac 6200. Will verify as soon as I can look at it again, and will start tracing wires to see how rear ac is wired up. I am not planning to do a true 50amp conversion for all. The risk and expense, since. I really dont have a necessity for it. Thx also for the LP info!
Old 03-06-2012, 03:11 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
How many gallons of LP does the standard tank on you MH have. I say this as the generac under load will use .6 to .7 gallons per hour or very close to that.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:17 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atropine View Post
Sorry, I meant to say that the new MH will only run one roof AC unit at a time, whether it is on shore or gen power.
I also have a 30amp Gulfstream, but mine is a lower line model and will run both a/c's on gen power.

Your GS probably has the same manual a/c selector switch as mine.
The a/c selector switch needs to be in the "rear position" as shown in the attached photo, for both a/c's to run on gen power. Don't forget the a/c units are on a timer so both can not turn on at the same time. The delay timer will take up to 5 minutes for both a/c units to turn on together.

Here is a recent thread on the topic of adding 20 amps to run the additional a/c unit. Running Both A/C's @ same Time On Shoreline Power
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A-CSelectorSwitch.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	211.7 KB
ID:	18529  

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:31 PM   #12

Yes, the switch looks identical to that one. Thx for the info; maybe it will work on gen power. When i get a chance i will go try it again as shown above.

Im not sure on the size of the LP tank; will look next time also. I am afraid of the limited runtime on the LP gen...
Old 03-06-2012, 08:44 PM   #13

It works! Just needed 2 minutes to cycle on the front unit, exactly as you described. The lp tank doesn't state its size. PO says he has put as much as 25 gal in before. Fittings are easy to access if i decide to in the future. Thx again everyone!
Old 03-07-2012, 01:03 AM   #14

Say, I don't want to throw water on your enthusiasm, but I have a LP powered genset and the only outflow connection from that 2nd propane tank (25 gallons) is LIQUID propane. On my house tank the outflow connection is GAS.

So if you plan on connecting the tanks together somehow (something I've thought about since I don't use the genset very often), you might need to investigate that first. There's probably some kind of valve that is needed to change it to gas?

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical, newbie