Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2016, 04:25 PM   #1

Newbie here with a leveling question for a class A

Hey everyone, set up camp in my 36 ft class A and I put my blocks under the level jacks and stacked extra where I needed it. However! My front right tire is off the ground. Is that ok? Or will that do damage to the hydraulics?
Thanks! 😳
Tony4qts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2016, 04:26 PM   #2

Might want to add it's a 2016 Coachman Mirada and the leveling is automatic
Old 06-30-2016, 05:25 PM   #3

My system is manual but I have watched others with an auto system and in some sites, the wheels are off the ground by the time the coach is level. Personally, as long as the rear wheels are on Tera Firma, should not be a problem for an overnite stay.
However, you might try going into manual mode and see if it works better. Put the pads down, run the jacks down on each side just until each pad (front and rear) contact the ground, then do the same with the opposite side. Check your level on a kitchen counter and correct as necessary. Level side to side first, then do front to back. See if it makes a difference.
BTW, I use a little Torpedo Level, or Plumbers Level.
Old 06-30-2016, 05:41 PM   #4

Great! Thanks for the advice and information!
Old 06-30-2016, 05:42 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
I never lift the wheels off the ground. If the right front was low I would pull up on blocks and then put the same amount of blocks under that jack. I try to limit how far the jacks extend.

When one side of the rear is low I do the same thing except I put blocks under both wheels on that side.
dabrooks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 05:49 PM   #6

Hey Tony4qts, I expect you're going to get a bunch of answers saying both that it is ok and others that they don't find it acceptable to have the front wheels lifted off the ground. Furthermore, people have apparently gotten contradicting guidance from manufacturers and lift providers. Good luck!
Old 06-30-2016, 06:37 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
What brand is your levelers? I have had both HWH and Power Gear, both said not to raise wheels off ground. So I don't. I see people that do park with wheels lifted off ground, but I don't do it. I agree with Dobook. My MH is a pain to level in auto mode as it will often do what you describe, even on fairly level ground. I most times use the manual mode, it is easier to me. You may need to re-calibrate the levelers. Depending on who made them, there is a method to do that. With my MH, when I turn on the levelers and it shows I am level, if I then use the auto mode to just get the levelors all on the ground, it will do what you described. If that happens, I then put blocks under the tires that were raised off ground and do it again and it levels. I also use blocks under levelers so they don't have to extend so far. But based on my experience and what manufactorers say do, I don't leave wheels raised off ground.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:37 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
The number one rule is "rear wheels never leave the ground". Those are your brakes.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 07:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melmoses View Post
The number one rule is "rear wheels never leave the ground". Those are your brakes.

Exactly
Old 06-30-2016, 07:48 PM   #10

I would just be concerned with keeping the rear end on the ground. When in the shop I would lift the whole machine off the ground to work on tires and brakes but that was on a concrete slab. You have to watch how stable the ground is if you raising to much.
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 07:53 PM   #11

Great advice all! Thanks 😁👍
Old 06-30-2016, 07:54 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Fronts off the ground ok.
Rears off the ground not ok.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, leveling, newbie