Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2008, 01:11 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi,
Is it common practice for Rv dealers to over price the used units by $30,000 or more.I go by Nada and I know online 10% is added because of the dealers.Then they say any reasonable offer accepted so I throw them a "reasonable" offer and I can see they want to run me off the lot on a rail,lol.I thought this was a buyers market by my experience I'd say not,at least not here in Washington. Hugs,Peabody

Peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2008, 01:11 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi,
Is it common practice for Rv dealers to over price the used units by $30,000 or more.I go by Nada and I know online 10% is added because of the dealers.Then they say any reasonable offer accepted so I throw them a "reasonable" offer and I can see they want to run me off the lot on a rail,lol.I thought this was a buyers market by my experience I'd say not,at least not here in Washington. Hugs,Peabody

Old 10-08-2008, 04:31 PM   #3

You need to go to another dealer! Anywhere from 15 to 25% off of STICKER is common for a final sales price. It depends on the dealer and what type of rig he is trying to move. It is definitely a buyers market out there right now.

Sarge

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 06:12 PM   #4

Far too many dealers got their training selling used cars in the'70's. They think they are some secret society and we're all a bunch of dimwits. They think every sale has to be a home run - and if they're as bad at their job as many, it may have to be for them to survive.

They have a product they need to sell. You have $$ and want to buy. What's confusing about this?

If the salesman is not being civil, and they have a unit you really are considering - not just tire kicking - ask for the owner. If you get no satisfaction, leave.

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 05:00 AM   #5

Peabody,one thing you don't want to do is fall in love with one of the units,thats when they have you hooked.
Once heard"don't fall in love with anything that can't love you back".

Joe
full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 05:56 AM   #6

Try to find a New unit that's been on the lot for a year. Lots of negotiation power there. They need to sell those unit. Always! speak to the owner before you make your decision.

We bought new, but had found plenty private parties selling because of personal reasons.

Good Luck
Happymi
Old 10-09-2008, 06:54 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
I wished I could buy new would rather be dealing with warranty issues than units the dealers claim are immaculate and are anything but, than over priced also.Most the coaches I have looked at have been around for some time"months"to be accurate.I have one Dealership I like a lot but they don't get used very often and when the do they fly out the door.Another thing I have noticed is Nada seems higher now from when I started my search,if that is possible,I'm still looking for the same years as when I started, I could afford them a month ago, now it seems they have gone up about $10,000. for the same units.I'm going to buy the book that way I know it can't change,lol.Hugs Peabody
Old 10-09-2008, 10:23 AM   #8

Just remember, NADA is a selling tool - not a real indicator for the buying public. It's owned and sponsored by the North American Automobile Dealers' Association - it's not some independent blog - who do you really think it will favor??

Does it have some value for comparisons?? Yes. Should it be used as a bible?? Absolutely not - even the dealers don't. Quote from back when I wholesaled cars "If the book bought cars, we'd all be rich!"

In today's world, you should be able to walk off a showroom with a previous year's, new, model for ~30% off sticker.

Our Vectra - over 2 years ago - was a year-old true demo; 10K miles with a travel history log and a MSO (never titled). We drove out, with several expensive add-on's (washer/dryer, in-motion sat) at $83K under list. Our new '08 View was discounted over $20K - and I've seen $80K Class C's with asking prices well under $60 painted on the windows.
The private used market is somewhat constrained by the fact that far too many people got a 15 year note with a minimal down payment - and they literally owe tens of thousands more than the street value of their rig.

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 11:17 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by porscheracer:
The private used market is somewhat constrained by the fact that far too many people got a 15 year note with a minimal down payment - and they literally owe tens of thousands more than the street value of their rig. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
To add insult to injury, many of these naive buyers paid something close to MSRP for the rigs to begin with. When we were briefly looking at Class A units, we found many owners who wanted substantially more for their 1-2 year old rigs than we would have paid for a new one after some tough negotiation, and since they were trying to pay off a note, they didn't really have a lot of wiggle room. Can you say "upside down"??

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 06:49 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Peabody, go look at the rig I told you about
Old 10-10-2008, 05:26 AM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Said I would and I will just have to convince my daughter to take me.She's got a nicer car than I have at the moment plus gives me a break from having to shift you know how hard it is to shift a little four cylinder chevy.LOL.Hugs Peabody
Old 10-11-2008, 06:06 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Peabody,

This is a common practice by ALL dealers on used rigs to price them 30% to 50% more than there worth. I bought my rig "from" Tom Stinnett RV. It was on there lot as a consignment unit. They wanted %38 more than what I got it for from the original owner. What was there justification? - a 12 month warranty and "check up". Well, you can get a much cheaper warranty using CSP and you have to fix any small problems yourself anyway on the road.

Jeff