Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2012, 10:48 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee Glen View Post
Good luck with the unit. I just purchased my first Bounder a couple of month's ago, first trip this weekend. Bounder has been around for a while, from the posts it looks like a good reliable rig.
Congrats to YOU, too! Enjoy your Bounder.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2012, 10:50 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by A7X View Post
Also, the dealer said they would do a complete walk through with me. Turn everything on...etc.
That's excellent. Take lots of notes, or even video the walk through so you can refer back to it later. Believe me, there is a ton of stuff to remember about these rigs. Best wishes to you for many happy miles.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:06 PM   #17

I think youll like it. Ours is a '05 32W. Same basic layout from the fridge forward. I think youll be pleased with how liveable the space is and with the amount of storage. The new flooring is a nice touch if the job was done right.

Be sure to check the items instslled on the roof if it was stored outside. The sun makes those shower skylights brittle. Also another common problem on that body style is the front fender just under the driver seat. The strut attaching it to the chassis tends to come loose. Not a big problem...just keep an eye on it.

Everytime we see newer bigger RVs we realize what a great coach it is and how pleased we are with it.
Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:18 PM   #18

Looks like a decent deal on a good coach. We owned a Bounder 32 in a rental fleet, and it had 130k on it when we finally retired it. Rock solid, about all we did was replace carpet every few years. If you haven't sealed the deal, try to have the dealer install a rear camera. Doesn't look like it has one, and they are incredibly useful.

Bounders are a very good relatively basic coach, not a lot of bells & whistles, which also means less to go wrong.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:34 AM   #19
A7X

Well, just got all my financing done and supposed to pick it up friday afternoon
I'm super excited!

It needs a few new blinds, oil change, minor things.
A7X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:06 PM   #20

Be sure to have them connect it to a water line and check the pressure lines, faucets drains and water heater for leaks. Run EVERYTHING. Have them show you how everything works then do it yourself.

Video tape as much as you can so you can replay it. If it is a CRT tv have the show you how the converter works.

Check the roof and all caulking. Rubber roof is fine but they need maint.

I went through this 2 years ago as a newbee. Get extra keys to every lock. Have them show you how to put slides in manually.

Check date codes on tires, all tires, I had 2 that were 5 years old but found the rest were 8.

HAVE FUN
Schoolsout2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:09 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Well, just got all my financing done and supposed to pick it up friday afternoon
I'm super excited!

We're gonna need pics!! Congrats.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:52 PM   #22

Quote:
I'm super excited!

Good deal, but do consider joining either BOA (Bounders of America - mostly east) or BU (Bounders United - mostly west). Either way as a Bounder owner you will be more than welcome to attend one of the many Rallys that are held all over the US. One thing about MH owners, they love to talk and you will end up knowing more about your new Bounder then you thought possible. We are on our way to TN for the BOA National Rally in a couple of days. Happy travels,

Bob
Old 04-19-2012, 03:12 PM   #23
A7X

Thanks I appreciate it!

One thing I do need to change first thing is, I noticed the MH has a small round plug for my trailer lights... but my trailer has the larger style round plug. I will be towing my enclosed trailed quite a bit with this MH. Suggestions? I've heard I can run an adapter, or just change the small plug on the MH.

Thanks!
Old 04-20-2012, 12:06 AM   #24

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Having bought a used motorhome that started its first decade in California, let me suggest a couple of things. This isn't strictly a Bounder thing.

The big one is the roof! The rubber membrane can get old and the life span for them is around 12-14 years so you are getting into the danger zone. Unfortunately, that glorious sun in California is not your friend in this regard. Look over the roof carefully. Rub your hand across the surface and see if it comes up white (chalking) Look for black spots coming up through white. This is a sign that the top layer of the membrane is wearing out. Also look at the hatch covers, and AC Shrouds. Plastic will also get brittle with age and sun - are there any cracks, pieces missing - a sign of aging. Look at the caulking around all the openings in your roof. Does it look good? If their are any major concerns with the roof, I would suggest you stay away unless you are prepared to put a few thousand into replacement. Nothing ruins your RV experience like a leaky roof!

Check the Tire Codes on the tire sidewalls. Try to establish the age of the tires. Are they original? That would make them 11 years old and that means their days are numbered as well.

Other issues I encountered related to plumbing. Ended up replacing kitchen and bathroom faucets because of leaking. RV fixtures tend to be cheap to start with.

Also check the rubber mouldings around windshields and such. They do the important job of holding the windscreen in place. If they are cracked, have the dealer get them replaced before you take the unit.

Last but not least - awnings and slide toppers. They also weather and rip/crack. Make sure they are in good condition. They are replaceable of course but the less you have to do, the better it is.

There are all sorts of things of course, mechanical, electrical, hydraulic etc. A well treated unit will usually treat you better in return. One thing as well you might consider. Do a CarFax History. The price may be good because there was something bad in it's past. Carfax steered me away from a unit I was looking at initially because I found it had been titled as salvage for some reason and then repaired.

I got a very good price on my RV when I purchased it and I did so knowing that I was likely going to experience some pain in putting it right. However, it has been a never ending source of learning for me. Some lessons were more painful than others however.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:26 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Thanks I appreciate it!

One thing I do need to change first thing is, I noticed the MH has a small round plug for my trailer lights... but my trailer has the larger style round plug. I will be towing my enclosed trailed quite a bit with this MH. Suggestions? I've heard I can run an adapter, or just change the small plug on the MH.

Thanks!
You should be able to get an adapter.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:04 PM   #26
A7X

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
You should be able to get an adapter.
Thanks, I will look more into that.

Another question I have is: The dealer couldn't find a key for the side storage compartments on the outside of the MH. I would like to be able to unlock and lock those since I will be using them for storage.

Can I order a key from somewhere, or are they hard to come by?

Thanks
Old 04-21-2012, 06:23 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Some of the key locks have a code [number] stamped on them. Look at the lock where the key goes in and see if you see a number, if so you can get that key on Ebay with no problems. Your dealer should be able to get the locks for you. even if he changes them. Lowe's I think has those type of locks. Take one off and take it to Lowe's. Good luck.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:02 PM   #28

If you can get the lock cylinder off, a locksmith can make you a key. If not, you will have to bring the unit to a locksmith and they can cut you a key. It is just a little time consuming because they have to manually make the cuts by feeling for the tumblers inside of the lock cylinder core.

Tags
bounder, fleetwood, newbie