Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2013, 11:36 AM   #1

Newbie Looking for answers

Hi all,
Since I am new to this motorhome world, and looking at the multitude of machines, makes,& models, instead of getting satifying answers, all I seem to do is get more questions. I am Canadian, and hope to spend winters where its warmer and there is no snow to shovel(had my fill of that thankyou)
Some of the things that keep cropping up are:
-travel costs
-campground costs
-free camping
- vehicle insurance costs
-medical health insurance cost
-telephone costs
-internet costs
-cummins engine
-cat engine
-freightliner frames
-spartan frame
-people problems on the road.
-motorhome costs(repairs& normal maintenance)
I am a heavy duty mechanic by trade and have always worked on machinery, so most of it I could likely get by doing a lot of myself. But with the new technology,and computer programed machines, there is likely times I will have to rely on the dealer somewhere. And of course the older we get the less we want to do.

So many things to consider and be aware of. I am sure there are other things I havent thought of yet, and hopefully some of you that have been out there for a bit will have some answers for me.
I think I will be ok financially, as my finacial guys says, but in the back of the mind, as usual there is some doubt of the unknown that scares the begeezes out of one. Looking for some answers,or some guidence, before I make the big plunge.
bobalooy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2013, 02:35 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalooy08 View Post
Hi all,
Since I am new to this motorhome world, and looking at the multitude of machines, makes,& models, instead of getting satifying answers, all I seem to do is get more questions.

I am Canadian, and hope to spend winters where its warmer and there is no snow to shovel(had my fill of that thankyou)
Some of the things that keep cropping up are:

Looking for some answers,or some guidence, before I make the big plunge.

Welcome

There's a wealth of experience somewhere in this groupso when you can articulate some specific queries, I'm quite sure you'll be inundated with focused information.

In the meantime: yes it's expensive, frustrating, confusing, challenging and....fun!And there are things you can do to control all of that

Be not daunted: millions have gone before you and some have even survived
Old 03-30-2013, 02:40 PM   #3

Bob, welcome to the forum. You can get lots of good advice here, just ask what you need to know....
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:53 PM   #4

bobalooy; retire you won't regret it.
6 years ago I was one bad day away from going nuts. Pulled the pin with no idea if I could stay retired or not; just new I needed out . So far so good, I even managed through the " 08 Crash " so if your ok now according to your guy, then go for it.
Travel cost = price of fuel, not much we can do but complain.
Campground cost, lot of deals out there 1 month stay and over, if you plan on constant travel you have some options, Passport America, Coast to Coast, but they usually restrict you ( all snowbirds ) in the months you really want.
Free Camping- not my bag - BLM, State & county rules apply.
Insurance- Vehicle - some minor ICBC , restrictions ( Gold Star has an away from BC limit)
Health- many options - depends on your age and state of health- C/C, CSA-Canadian Snowbird Ass, Snowbird Mediquote, and more
Phone- depends on how much your DW calls her sister/kids/mom.
we carry a US , Verison , pay-and -talk, $100 a year keeps our # about $150 a season total for our use.
Internet- depends on the park. we're $35 for cable + 30 for modum & access.
Cat, Cummins- as others will say , not a deal breaker, Floor Plan #1
F/L ,Spartan, - Spartan is considered the high line; usually on older coaches come with a higher trailer tow rating.
People- most of the folks we meet every winter are of the same mind as us ; away from the cold; our usual park is 45% Canadian.
M/H , repairs& Maintenance- look for a coach that has good records/ tires, and the rest is according to the miles you drive.
2 1/2 years, 16000 miles, under $3000. Including a $1000 Water pump on the road, rest was parts as I do my own work when I'm home.
Look into your house insurance, some companies require someone check inside the house every 48hrs to maintain coverage.
Get out and enjoy, you owe it to yourself
Old 03-30-2013, 03:58 PM   #5

Just go for it! After this winter in Winnipeg can wait till I can spend those winter months of -30 somthing down south somewhere I can be golfing. Couple years for us to live the dream. DW has already got us on that get healthier program so we will hopefully enjoy the well earned retirement years. When it comes to cost, you got to live and pay the bills somewhere. Cost of living way less down south as compared to what we pay for stuff up here. As long as you are handy (and it doesn't take much) you can keep your expensives down (general mainainence). Have a friend that just came back from southern Texas $1200 for 3 months (turn heat down when you leave and you will prob save half that lol). Don't buy a new coach, few years old will save you a bunch. Have met many long time friends in campgrounds. Definitely RVers have a more positive state of mind than those on the clock. Travel safe and make memories.
luvmydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:26 PM   #6

This is an excellent resource for Canadians interested in fulltiming. Answers a host of questions specific to us. It is an e-book and well worth the cost. It will answer questions you did not know you had, lol. The section on health coverage is worth the cost alone. Check it out, eh?

http://full-time-rving-in-canada.ca/

Even if you are snowbirding, this info definitely applies.
Tina & Ted Ontario, Canada RVM 29
timarti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:52 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
The first step in the process is to define how you intend to use the RV. Once you have that defined, others can give advice.

Will you travel long distances frequently?
Will you live in the rig for a month or more at a time.
Will you make lots of short mileage and stay trips?
Will you want to have separate transportation once at your destination?
Will you want to tow a heavy trailer, truck, boat or car?
How many people do you need sleeping accomodations for?
How many bathrooms do you need?
Do you need lots of room in the RV or are you outdoors a lot during the day?
Do you have hobbies that require you carry lots of equipment that needs storage space?
Diesel or gas power desires or needs.

Presenting your needs by answering the above questions, and many I may have omitted, will allow those with experience to respond to your more focused questions.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags