Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2012, 08:26 PM   #1

NEWBIE Needs Help!!! 1994 Newmar Kountryaire

Hello. I apologize in advance for my post, as it probably is going to probably be one of those posts where I post a question and everyone already knows I am a female. LOL. Anyways, my family and I just bought a 1994 Newmar Kountryaire. We are in the process (as we have never owned a motorhome before) of fixing things up (just ordered new roofing supplies...eternabond and liquid roof RV) and getting to know our new motorhome. But again, we are clueless. I have looked through every manual I could find regarding the batteries. The one that is in the motorhome was just thrown in from a car to get us home from the seller. The motorhome has a spot for 2 batteries. I know one is for starting the motorhome and the other would be for the inside. My question is....I would like to go to walmart and buy 2 batteries. But I have no clue what kind? I called them and they told me to get 2 marine batteries? PLEASE....if someone could help me in buying the right ones I would super appreciate it!!! I thank you in advance for your patience and also help.
wonbyjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2012, 09:01 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to irv2 wonbyjc.
Congrats on your Newmar.
Batteries need to be deep-cycle for the house.
This link will give you some info on your electrical systems in coach 12v and 120v.
I place two 12v AGM's from the Sams Club in my coach saves on battery maintenance and where you may have to place them allot easier to handle. Check this link plus links within it information you need.
When you hook up the batteries use new cables or clean all cable connections plus the negative cable to the chassis frame of coach needs to be very clean and tight to frame, use a star washer to hold to frame so will not become loose same goes for the chassis battery cable to frame.
This is a start when you have other questions come down to the Newmar forum and we can help you out.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:11 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
wonbyjc: First, welcome to IRV2 and I'm sure someone more familiar with your Newmar will answer your questions. You will have a starting battery (maybe more than one) and a coach or house battery that is a deep cycle.
But you will need the size or Group for each of the batteries so that they will fit in the space provided.

Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:14 PM   #4

Being a "newbie" I would just go to a nearby service center to learn as much as you can. Don't have to buy everything but they will probably answer a lot of the up front questions. OR, if you are near Indianapolis the end of August, go to the FMCA rally and go to as many of the seminars as you can. Everyone there will be ready and willing to help. Join FMCA before you go.

But to answer your question, the engine battery needs to be a high "cranking amps" rated battery based on whichever engine you have - any auto parts store can tell you which one. The house batteries do need to be deep discharge marine batteries that have the highest amphour rating you can fit into the vehicle. They may be 6 volt or 12 volt batteries - probably two 6 volt modules for a Newmar connected in series to supply 12 volts to the home. Alternative is for two 12 volt batteries connected in parallel to supply the 12 volts but you need to find out from someone exactly what you need - don't guess.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:19 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
1994 Newmar

wonbyjc,

Congrats on joining the MH family. As to the RV batteries, there are normally two (3) 6V deep cycle marine batteries to power the coach and one (1) 12V Automotive battery for the chassis (engine).

The 2 deep cycle, also known as golf cart, batteries are fairly standard. Unless you and/or hubby are knowledgeable, I would have an experienced RV repair shop install them for you. Costs a little more, but less chance of frying your electrical system.

Good luck, and keep us informed with your progress.

Happy Trails!

Darryl
desobelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:51 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi wonbyjc,
Welcome to iRV2 and the Newmar family. There is a Newmar Owner's Forum on iRV2. On the iRV2 main page scroll about 1/2 the way down and you'll see the owners forums in alphabetical order. Most Newmar knowledge hangs out there.

To respond to your question, consider going to a Camping World (CW) or local RV dealer. Ensure a certified tech works on you coach.

If you want to purchase and install the batteries yourself then:
1. The engine battery is the same as any car engine battery. Any major brand will do. I use AC Delco automotive batteries. These batteries should be sealed and maintenance free.
2. The coach battery(s) should also be sealed and maintenance free. One can purchase flooded batteries, but that will add to your monthly maintenance list of checking the water in the batteries. If there is space for one coach battery it will need to be a 12 Volt DC battery (VDC). If there is space for more than one coach battery consider purchasing 2, 6 VDC batteries. The 6 VDC batteries will need to be connected in series to produce 12 VDC. This should provide the longest possible 12 VDC power for your coach.
3. In both (automotive and coach) situations, size matters. Purchase the largest batteries that will fit in the space available for them.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, newmar