Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2013, 01:14 PM   #29

Newellri,

The apple pie moonshine is concocted (with an approved explosives Class III License) over the stove utilizing the following ingredients:
Large quantities of EverClear 180 Proof grain alcohol
Cinnamon (I think in stick form, but...it may be cinnamon scented Glade Air Freshener) couldn't tell for sure. I was distracted by the feeling that my lower lip had fallen off...
Something apple flavored. ( might be Glade Green Apple Air Freshener). See lip situation above.
Something sweet...probably diabetic coma levels of cane sugar.
Could have just a hint of eye of newt (the tadpole, not the politician) and a smidgeon of toe of frog...just not sure.
And most surprising, nothing even remotely tasting like a PIE.

That's all I know so far, but if I can charm the local distiller into parting with the recipe, I will post it here, assuming I remember the next day what I did with the recipe.

All the Best,
Captain Stan

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2013, 01:20 PM   #30

Melmoses,

You are too kind. THANK YOU!

It would seem, based upon your experience, that the cherry moonshine has the same memory limiting elixir that creates such the fog after ingesting a wee dram of the apple pie variety. Let us not fear the unknown. We must soldier on, certain in the knowledge that what we cannot remember, simply didn't happen. (This mind set has served American politicians well for centuries...)

All the Best,
Captain Stan

Old 12-13-2013, 01:29 PM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That was a great read and thanks for posting. Hope you enjoy all your future travels. In regards to washing the coach, give Blue Beacon a try. We had ours washed when we arrived in FL. Total time 15 minutes tops which included washing the coach, car and my 10 speed bike. $51.50 out the door. I did have to dry it but that was a piece of cake. Good luck and Be Safe.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:02 PM   #32

Steve & Sal
Thanks for the tip regarding the coach washing!

All the Best,

Captain Stan
Old 12-13-2013, 05:04 PM   #33

Agree that this is a fun read. It's good to get to see how the other half lives!
firedoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:22 PM   #34

Firedoc,

Other half???

Not sure what that means, but if my aimless ramblings are helpful, I am delighted!

All the Best,
Captain Stan
Old 12-13-2013, 08:23 PM   #35

Newbie discovers electricity:

Now that I have your attention, I will attempt to relieve the gnawing anxiety you have no doubt felt since reading of the untimely death of our forward A/C. Turns out that your Intrepid Captain (IC) was correct. The weak link in the chain we call our forward A/C was the start capacitor! Also something which perches atop said capacitor, called simply enough a motor starter, had joined in a mutual suicide pact with the capacitor and had died an apparently fiery death. (It was so melted that its own mother wouldn't have recognized it!)

Armed with the certain knowledge of which parts were required, IC began a web search for them. Tip: Naples, FL is NOT the epicenter of electrical parts for do-it-yourself air conditioning repair persons. Incredible as it may seem, I finally found a supplier who had me meet him behind a Shell station on CORKSCREW ROAD, in Estero, Fl. Money was furtively exchanged for TWO sets of these components, and we quickly went our separate ways. After a short period of watching my rear view mirrors, I was able to ascertain that the exchange on Corkscrew Rd. was NOT part of an elaborate FBI sting aimed at stopping the black market trade in start capacitors.

Dawdling, your IC took the scenic, very long path home.

Upon returning to the coach, your IC was met by three hot Westies and their overheated Westie Mom. Naught was said, but I gathered that my nomination for hubby of the year would be delayed indefinitely. Sensing the gathering storm clouds of spousal dissatisfaction, your IC began immediately the surgery required to reinvigorate our errant A/C. Voila, done. Let there be cooling breezes upon my family! Peace and harmony restored, etc. etc. HOTY nomination still in doubt, but as Scarlett O'Hara said, "Tomorrow is another day".

An interesting thing happened late this afternoon. A very nice fellow, looking incredibly like former NASCAR champion Darryl Waltrip, rode his bike past our homestead and hollered to me " Are you Captain Stan?" Answering in the affirmative I invited Darryl (his name is really Jim, but to protect his anonymity, we shall call him Darryl) to sit and chat a spell. He explained that although he is an infrequent visitor to the RV boards, he stumbled upon my travel notes, dare I say blog? Realizing that he was in the very same Pelican Lake RV Resort as your Intrepid Captain, Jim, er, Darryl set out to meet the legend in person. As we spoke, Darryl told of his and his bride's decision to buy a coach and "hit the road" with their two pre-teen heirs. They home school them while showing them the wonders of our great nation. These are really lucky young ones!!! The family is from Denver, but has led the nomadic life for the past several years. I was sorry to hear that my new friend would leave these parts for another adventure at the end of the month...

This evening we ventured into old Naples seeking a proper bar. Luckily, we stumbled into Tommy Bahamas Bar and promptly met Missy, her attractive girl friend Robin and Tom a charming local banker who was hitting on both of them. Conversation was upbeat and fun, but too soon it became time to wish our new buddies "Bon Chance", and head back to the coach. Before we left them they each gave us a few pointers about new watering holes to check out. Rest comfortably in the knowledge that all recommended dispensaries of spirits will be thoroughly investigated, and dutifully reported.

Until later,

Captain Stan
Old 02-07-2014, 12:07 PM   #36

What has happened to our intrepid captain? Hope the local watering holes did not get the best of them! Lol
Old 05-18-2014, 03:33 PM   #37

Following in Captain Stan's footsteps!

Well, I don't know what happened to Stan, but I'm at Pelican Lakes this weekend. Very nice and almost empty. Nice pool, Great Lake, quiet, peaceful and we've had great weather. Fishing pretty good too! Nice bass this morning after 10 minutes of casting. Made it to the Legendary "Stan's Idle hour" bar today for lunch. A real local spot and saw "Wilson" the singing dog.. Sitting at the bar as described.

Hopefully this posting will bring back Captain Stan. The way he left us, I don't know. Hope all is well with him!

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	310.9 KB
ID:	63204  
Old 06-08-2015, 10:03 PM   #38

Don't pay the ransom, I escaped...

This is your intrepid Captain reporting for duty. Herewith you are invited to read in a blog format, a pictorial travelogue of the Captain and his clan

Simply go to this site:

captainmawyer.blogspot.com

Upon arriving at the opening page, you will see the MOST RECENT ENTRY.

Skip reading this and look in the right side of the page and click on July 2013.

Then click on "Chapter 1. The Beginning"

From there, you can progress thru the chapters in chronological order, which will cause the journey to make a bit more sense.
(To do otherwise would be somewhat akin to reading a novel about WWII starting with the last chapter about the bombing of Hiroshima and wondering as you read along, why we were so annoyed with the Japanese folks.)

Hopefully you will indulge me and check it out. There is suspense (will the A/C guy ever show up?), joy (he arrived), sadness (the bill), sea voyages (the Captain makes his living doing this), photos galore, pretty women (the Captain loves women, especially actual grown up women), great pups (no cats so far), drama(a truly crazy woman goes even crazier at the RV Park), tedium (world's largest traffic jam), miracles (12 year old Westie pup survives invasive brain surgery), love, above all, a zeal for living the MOTORCOACH LIFESTYLE.

Going forward, your roving reporter Captain will report on his 30 state, 10-11,000 mile "see America" tour. There is a map of the planned stops included in one of the Chapters.

All the Best,

Captain Stan