Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2017, 04:57 AM   #1

Newbie Purchasing 2010 Winnebago journey 34y DP pros cons

I’m buying from original owners who have been great to work with. They seem to have maintained everything very well in every way well documented. It has miles in the 40k range and they have also put new tires on as well 2015 and only 2300 miles since then. Winnebago has been around long time any feedback from current owners ? Also would you inspect pre purchase even with all documents they have even offered to let me stay in it while we finalize purchase and offered to take me around driving to show me how things work as far as I’m comfortable they said big city 50 miles away and their like we can go there. Thoughts ?
legarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2017, 06:00 AM   #2

Yes, get a third party inspection. Even nice, honest sellers make mistakes. Highly recommend that you get an oil analysis of that expensive diesel engine. Blackstone or Polaris. ATF can also be tested. Don't give cursory attention to the genny, either its mechanical condition or its ability to run at least one appliance and the front roof ac at the same time. Ask the owner to demo all systems to (1) make sure they work, and (2) know how they work - take notes or video.

Do you have a checklist yet? There should be one in one of the 'stickies' on this forum, if I recall correctly.

I see that you inquired about extended warranties (service contracts) on another thread. Smart.

Best of luck and keep back $5 - $10k for unanticipated problems.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 08:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Swede View Post
Yes, get a third party inspection. Even nice, honest sellers make mistakes. Highly recommend that you get an oil analysis of that expensive diesel engine. Blackstone or Polaris. ATF can also be tested. Don't give cursory attention to the genny, either its mechanical condition or its ability to run at least one appliance and the front roof ac at the same time. Ask the owner to demo all systems to (1) make sure they work, and (2) know how they work - take notes or video.

Do you have a checklist yet? There should be one in one of the 'stickies' on this forum, if I recall correctly.

I see that you inquired about extended warranties (service contracts) on another thread. Smart.

Best of luck and keep back $5 - $10k for unanticipated problems.

How do I find the stickie notes ? And thank you for the advice
legarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 05:42 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Get professional inspections done. If you don't do this BEFORE you purchase, you run the risk of spending significantly more AFTER the purchase. If something is found, the inspector should be able to give you an estimate to repair. You can then decide if you want to proceed and can use it to negotiate a better price. You will be going into it with your eyes open. IF nothing is found, GREAT!!

I would suggest that you get an independent certified RV mechanic to inspect all the RV systems, including the roof. In addition I would have the engine, transmission, frame, etc. inspected by a diesel service shop. Having a coolant and oil analysis by a lab (like JG Lubricants ) would reveal any hidden problems.

Make sure everything is in writing!! Any purchase should be contingent upon successfully passing these inspections/tests.

I would do this to any used MH I was looking to buy.

Buy an Engine Oil Analysis Kit Today | Engine Oil Analysis Service
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 06:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by legarcia View Post
How do I find the stickie notes ? And thank you for the advice
Go to upper left of page. From the left you will see "User CP", then "Register", when you get to "Files", click on the word. The second listing is "Buyers Check List." When you click on this you will see a file titled "Used MH Checklist." Download it and you are ready to save and/or print out. As you will notice, there are many other worthwhile titles available to help you get edumacated.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 06:22 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I think the biggest thing is to make sure the diesel engine is and has been serviced as it should. With only 40k miles there shouldn't be many wear issues, but have the filters been changed?
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 03:20 PM   #7

Ditto with SuperSlif

Bought are 38 Ft DP with 38 K miles from private owner, the MH was in excellent condition always stored in heated garage. The owner had all his maintenance records including list of each part number for filters, oils and fluids. ( the one missing part number was the air filter) on my DP it's $124.00 and was the original when I change it this past spring!!

Based on what I had seen up to that point I made the decision to move on the MH before some else with more experience bought it out from under me!! Looking back I 'm glad I did, the unit is clean and hasn't given me one day of problems. With the help of a school bus mechanic I 'm learning plenty about the my Cummins diesel and Freightliner chassis. Won't own /drive anything less then a DP!!

Good luck on your purchase!

mike
MobileOneDS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey, newbie, winnebago