Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2013, 09:08 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just checked with AMEX about the rebate for fuel with the Costco Amex card and was told it was only 2% !
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2013, 09:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
I just checked with AMEX about the rebate for fuel with the Costco Amex card and was told it was only 2% !
Hmmmm, their website still is saying 3%:

https://www304.americanexpress.com/c...erican-express

They did go from 3% to 2% at restaurants last year. I hope they still let you buy gas at Costco stations and get 3%.

-harry
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:31 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Folks, let's keep the discussion on topic, please. The OP is asking about gas station access for a gasoline motorhome. Thanks.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:36 PM   #18

But Sarah, someone mentioned getting gas at Costco because of ease of access and somebody else mentioned getting the 3% rebate so I just thought I was responding to those posts. My apologies.

-harry
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:01 PM   #19

Carolina Campers
I am also a newbie. I have some input on gas prices as well maneuvering the RV. I generally fill up Pilot or Pilot Flying J. With their gas card and setting up automatic payment for the monthly balance from your checking account, they give you no dollar limit on fill up, so only start the pump and wait. You have to enter your authorization code when you swipe your card. Also, with a Good Sams Life Membership you get 6 cents per gallon discount at the pump, you pay the cash price versus the credit card price (which is generally another fairly good discount), so the savings can be significant overall. I have also used Loves and several other stations. I have not had any issues maneuvering around the pumps even with a 33' RV and pulling a small SUV (Escape). As a newbie I was concerned about it, but have found that the roofs on most gas bays are of significant height and the lanes are generally wide enough. I agree that you need to be careful about the swing when you turn, as it is easy to forget that your back has to clear the pumps on the other side, not just the fact that you have to be aware of the turn clearance. The Flying J's usually have the RV pumps over to the far side of the regular car pumps. They usually don't have any roof over them, which is a pain if it is raining, but it is better then pulling up to the pumps and blocking all the other pumps.

Thanks,
Ted
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:08 PM   #20

Freightliner Owners Club
Most of the truck fill ups I've been to have been a hassle. First, I've never seen a gas pump at the truck fill ups I've been to. Second, and it could be my bad luck, but they don't offer credit card fill ups at the pump so you have to go inside and wait (in line) for someone to swipe your card and you have to guess the amount of fuel you want...or...they keep your card and when your done you have to go back inside (wait in line again) for them to check you out. So, I look for easy ingress and egress into the pumps out front. Now, because of this, you'll find me filling up if I get close to half a tank down. This way I can look for the best price and a convenient place to fillr' back up. One more thing.....have ever you ever noticed how diesel dirty the truck pump areas are?
Old 02-21-2013, 12:30 PM   #21

Carolina Campers
My Mercedes was diesel, and I have noticed regardless of where you pump your diesel from it is dirty. One difference is that at the regular gas stations (vs a truck stop) they at least have had plastic disposable gloves. I carried some any way in the event they were out. I'd bet that the truck stop would not have those. Diesel is dirty, smelly and costly, but that is the pay off for better torque, less engine trouble and life expectancy I guess.

Ted
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:47 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Entegra Owners Club
So true. I left my rear bumper at a station south of Nashville, TN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
Welcome to IRV2. All good advice you got there from Rick. I might add that those concrete and steel barriers that they put up to protect their pumps are to be respected with plenty of room to account for your "swing ".
Cliff
ktmnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:07 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
If someone hasn't already suggested this, the Next Exit is helpful in directing you to gas stations that are easy in and out. They are highlighted in red. We used it a lot when we had gas coaches, but since we now have diesel and tow we only stop at truck stops cause we know we can get in and out of those. Also have the RV card for Pilot and Flying J so you don't have to go in first for pre approval before filling up.
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:09 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda_h View Post

Hmmmm, their website still is saying 3%:

https://www304.americanexpress.com/c...erican-express

They did go from 3% to 2% at restaurants last year. I hope they still let you buy gas at Costco stations and get 3%.

-harry
I was given the wrong info at AMEX Costco card. It is 3% for fuel up to $4,000.
I did check GasBuddy and flying j / pilot is once again out of the market !
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:26 AM   #25

Agree x10 on exit strategy! It's amazing that after filling a few times that when you are entering a gassing area you are not looking for the free pump but for the pump where you can exit from. With toad in tow we are about 58 ft so loading up on fuel, has to be one of the least enjoyable moments of our travels (second and especially third swipe of card weakens the knees lol). Also, even though you may think you are at the "good exit pump" there are those times where you finish filling to find that some one has parked their car in such a way that you are no longer at the "good exit pump". Patience is key.
luvmydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:56 PM   #26

At stations where the pump islands are perpendicular to the store I generally use the pumps at the left or right ends when facing the store. At the right end I will face the store and at the left end I face away from the store. Then when exiting the pump I always turn to the left even if I have to make a loop to leave the station.

Tags
gas, newbie