Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2013, 03:48 PM   #1

We are thinking about purchasing a class A motorhome. Silly question: when you go to Flying J for gas, do you go back with the trucks or is that only for diesel? We are looking at the gas powered models. We presently pull a trailer and have never noticed big motorhomes up front with the cars.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2013, 04:11 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum. You've got some fun times ahead, learning all you need to know and deciding on where you want to travel next.

Gas stops can be intimidating for a newbie... and truth be told... they're rarely enjoyable even for veterans. I know it's never something I look forward to... but that could be because I hold 100 gallons of diesel and it really hurts each time I fill up.

At truck stops, "the back" where you see all the trucks is only for diesel in most cases. Many/most of these same truck stops have RV islands off to the side somewhere, although they can be a pain to get in and out of sometimes if they're busy. These pumps usually have both gas and diesel and often even a dump station and fresh water bib.

The thing you always need to remember is to have an exit strategy before you enter! Especially if you end up towing a car with a tow bar, be aware that you will not be able to back up with it attached to get yourself out of a tight jam so you need to exit without backing up. That too can sound intimidating, but it's not bad so long as you plan your exit. You'll get pretty good at being able to take a look at a station while you're still out on the street and determining if it's someplace you'll be able to comfortably maneuver in.

There will be times when someone pulls in and blocks your exit but you just need to be patient... they'll leave when they're done. In >50,000 miles I've only had to disconnect the toad twice in order to get myself out of a jam.

Best of luck to you.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:17 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to IRV2. All good advice you got there from Rick. I might add that those concrete and steel barriers that they put up to protect their pumps are to be respected with plenty of room to account for your "swing ".
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:28 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Like Rick says, once you get the hang of it there's not much to be concerned about. On our last big trip we coast to coast we found that Flying Js and the like were easy to get in and out of and most close to the highway seem to plan on big RVs fueling up as they normally have ease of access and egress.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:34 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I look for Costco as a 1st choice for gas in the MH. I haven't found one yet that I couldn't navigate safely. Flying J, Love's, Pilot, Truck Stops, etc. are normally my second choice.

UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:45 PM   #6

Ditto on the good advice from Rick. Every rig will handle a bit different as well as what you may be towing and how it follows.

My rig is 34', is a Ford gasser and I pull a 16' trailer. Because of the length between the rear wheels and the hitch, there is no need for "wide" turns. I've been in a 100 P/FJs and never had an issue in or out of them. Not that it wasn't a bit scary at first
Old 02-20-2013, 05:13 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
I might add that those concrete and steel barriers that they put up to protect their pumps are to be respected with plenty of room to account for your "swing ".
Cliff
How do you know about THAT Cliff???

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:21 PM   #8

We also have a 100 gal. tank and this gives us a driving range of +/- 800 miles. Since we never travel this sort of distance non-stop, we never enter a fuelling station with our toad attached. It seems we always unhook when we stop, so prior to re-hooking in the morning we find a place to refuel while we have the maneuverability and ability to back-up if necessary. This gives us the option to use regular gas/diesel stations.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:18 PM   #9

Another thing to remember when you have a 100 gallon diesel tank is those truck pumps pump 3-4 times faster than the ones at the RV island and are much less likely to be waiting in line. Although usually, you will have to go inside and pre-authorize your fillup.

Also, in my experience, although the RV islands don't require you to pre-authorize, they probably will stop at $150. You have to re-swipe for another $150. Can mean 3 separate transactions on 100 gallons.

Some of the BIG rigs have 200+ gallon tanks...
chawkins99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:32 PM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
I look for Costco as a 1st choice for gas in the MH. I haven't found one yet that I couldn't navigate safely. Flying J, Love's, Pilot, Truck Stops, etc. are normally my second choice.
I wish the Costco's sold diesel, around here I've never seen one yet that did. 150 gallons of diesel would sure help the rebate on fuel on the AMEX card! Although I usually try to fill up before so I only take 100 gallons or so at a time!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:36 PM   #11

I just saw on the Pilot/Flying J website that they raised the transaction limit to 150 for gas and 400 for diesel
Old 02-20-2013, 09:41 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jland View Post
I just saw on the Pilot/Flying J website that they raised the transaction limit to 150 for gas and 400 for diesel
Sure doesn't help me much with a 78 gallon gasoline tank.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post
We also have a 100 gal. tank and this gives us a driving range of +/- 800 miles. Since we never travel this sort of distance non-stop, we never enter a fuelling station with our toad attached. It seems we always unhook when we stop, so prior to re-hooking in the morning we find a place to refuel while we have the maneuverability and ability to back-up if necessary. This gives us the option to use regular gas/diesel stations.
Good advice. We will sometimes do that too.

We usually avoid using truck pumps. When we had a 40', DW had an unpleasant experience with a trucker at a truck pump. Although the vast majority of truckers are great folk some don't like RVers and some don't like women driving RVs. We've tended to stay away unless necessary. Therefore we are always looking for a combination of good price and easy access in either the RV lanes or regular lanes. We also like to find busy stations as the diesel will tend to be fresher. Places like Maverik we use a lot.

Even though we now have a shorter coach, we still will quickly unhook the toad when we determine there may be a problem maneuvering while leaving. We really don't mind unhooking and re-hooking. Most shake their heads at us when they see us doing that. We both have our designated duties when unhooking and re-hooking so it goes extremely fast and efficiently and we autonomously check each others' duties for peace of mind. Plus, it gives us a chance to look for abnormalities.

-harry
Old 02-20-2013, 09:56 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I wish the Costco's sold diesel, around here I've never seen one yet that did. 150 gallons of diesel would sure help the rebate on fuel on the AMEX card! Although I usually try to fill up before so I only take 100 gallons or so at a time!
We're still getting 5% knocked off immediately on our Penfed Visa card.

So even when filling our cars with gas, we usually pass on Costco fuel because even though their prices are less, getting 5% off immediately instead of 3% on their AMEX card we are actually getting cheaper gas at places like Maverik, Fred Meyer, Safeway, Smiths, Albertson fuel locations.

-harry

Tags
gas, newbie