RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2018, 02:54 PM   #1

Newbie Question: What is Better, RV Service Center or Transport Service?

Hi Everyone,

I am a total newbie. Bought a Monaco 42' beast w/o knowing what the heck I am even getting myself into (well, I sort of know, but have a lot learn).

Mine is an older model (2002) and I am concerned about finding a good mechanic to take care of her. I have my coach parked in the north Georgia mountains (Blairsville). I want to know where I should get her serviced. Should I take her to an RV service center? Or is there better value in going to a transport truck service center?

Thanks!

Don

mecdatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2018, 03:09 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecdatlanta View Post
Hi Everyone,

I am a total newbie. Bought a Monaco 42' beast w/o knowing what the heck I am even getting myself into (well, I sort of know, but have a lot learn).

Mine is an older model (2002) and I am concerned about finding a good mechanic to take care of her. I have my coach parked in the north Georgia mountains (Blairsville). I want to know where I should get her serviced. Should I take her to an RV service center? Or is there better value in going to a transport truck service center?

Thanks!

Don
I'm not familiar with your area, but in general terms, you may have to find two places for service. Most RV dealers will service the "House" items, while a Truck center will service the chassis. I use a Tiffin dealer for the coach service and an International Truck dealer for the chassis service. Inquire at some Truck dealers to find one that has worked on MH chassis. Not all of them will. The same for the "House" part. Check with RV dealers that will work on older Monaco coaches. There are plenty in the Pacific NW, but do not know about the SE. Good Luck and enjoy your new toy.

Crasher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 03:26 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Might look for a local Monaco club. They would be able to make Some good recommendations.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 03:36 PM   #4
Decrepit Forum Advocate

Winnebago Owners Club
Welcome to the forum.

I'd dfinitely recommend finding a good independent truck repair shop that works on diesels and is willing to work on motorhomes without an exhorbitant surcharge. Yes, some do but seeing as you may have a side radiator, you might have less of problem finding a good shop that does't charge extra for working on a motorhome.

When yoiu say "RV Center," I am assuming you're meaning a dealership that sells new and used RVs and also has a shop? No, I personally would not use one. They will be much higher price-wise, plus, they are limited to the more simple chassis maintenance procedures. They mostly will be focused on "house" repairs and maintenance.

There are also good independent RV-specific shops that can do maintenance and repairs on "house" items that will in all likelihood be separate from the shop you would use to service the chassis items. See if there is one in your area that has a good reputation. In some areas, you might find a good shop that does maintenance and repairs on both chassis and house items but usually they will specialize in one or the other.

edited to add: I just looked in our log that we keep where we make notes on what other RVers tell us of their experiences, good or bad, and I see that there is a good truck service shop their in Blairsville that has a good reputation and two RVers have told us that had good experiences with them. So you might contact them to see what they say when you need maintenance services on the chassis portion of your motorhome.

Rafter's Truck & Trailer Repair, LLC

2nd edit: Hah! I just found this in our notes too ...here's an independent RV repair place about 20 miles from Blairsville that has a good reputation for "house" repairs and body work. They are in Murphy, NC. We've heard good things about them from three separate RVers according to our notes.

Rick's RV Center
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 04:41 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Don! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the new Monaco! You're gonna love her!

I agree with what others have said. We've had our 2002 Windsor since 2012 and have never had a problem that required taking her to the shop!

Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 01:46 AM   #6

THANK YOU!

I definitely got more than I bargained for here! Actual recommendations! I heard that RVrs tend to be very supportive and like to help each other. I am already seeing that!

It's a little intimidating driving a 42' rig down the highway. I actually drove it through the mountains as part of its maiden voyage a few weeks back (that was downright scary). I think that as I learn to relax, I will actually enjoy driving it. And now that I know where to take it to get some of the basic things done (oil change, tires, etc), and some of the other not-so-minor (hopefully there won't be too many of those), I feel more confident. I also have a tow-behind that I need to hook up at some point (at 2007 GMC Yukon). I definitely won't be towing that through the mountains! Hahaha!

Thanks again theroc and others!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
Welcome to the forum.

I'd dfinitely recommend finding a good independent truck repair shop that works on diesels and is willing to work on motorhomes without an exhorbitant surcharge. Yes, some do but seeing as you may have a side radiator, you might have less of problem finding a good shop that does't charge extra for working on a motorhome.

When yoiu say "RV Center," I am assuming you're meaning a dealership that sells new and used RVs and also has a shop? No, I personally would not use one. They will be much higher price-wise, plus, they are limited to the more simple chassis maintenance procedures. They mostly will be focused on "house" repairs and maintenance.

There are also good independent RV-specific shops that can do maintenance and repairs on "house" items that will in all likelihood be separate from the shop you would use to service the chassis items. See if there is one in your area that has a good reputation. In some areas, you might find a good shop that does maintenance and repairs on both chassis and house items but usually they will specialize in one or the other.

edited to add: I just looked in our log that we keep where we make notes on what other RVers tell us of their experiences, good or bad, and I see that there is a good truck service shop their in Blairsville that has a good reputation and two RVers have told us that had good experiences with them. So you might contact them to see what they say when you need maintenance services on the chassis portion of your motorhome.

Rafter's Truck & Trailer Repair, LLC

2nd edit: Hah! I just found this in our notes too ...here's an independent RV repair place about 20 miles from Blairsville that has a good reputation for "house" repairs and body work. They are in Murphy, NC. We've heard good things about them from three separate RVers according to our notes.

Rick's RV Center
Old 06-24-2018, 05:49 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome. Lots of good folks here with good info as you have already experienced. Read various threads here including the Monaco thread http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/ and ask questions.
Congrats on the new coach and enjoy the adventure.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 11:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecdatlanta View Post
THANK YOU!I also have a tow-behind that I need to hook up at some point (at 2007 GMC Yukon). I definitely won't be towing that through the mountains! Hahaha!
Thanks again theroc and others!
Why not?? Your coach is more than capable of towing it. Just set it up with base plate, a good tow bar, lights, and a good braking system. After a couple of trips, you will hardly know it's there.
Crasher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 03:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Why not?? Your coach is more than capable of towing it. Just set it up with base plate, a good tow bar, lights, and a good braking system. After a couple of trips, you will hardly know it's there.
It's all ready to go, complete with hookups. I bought them both (coach and SUV) together from a super nice couple who unfortunately had to give up RVing due to health/age issues.

Everyone says that ("you won't even know they're there"). I just see myself in a National Lampoons Family Vacation scene driving over some car with the tow vehicle and me being like Chevy Chase - totally unaware of the whole thing occurring. LOL!

The guy I bought the coach and tow-ready vehicle from had a hard time showing me everything. His memory wasn't very good and he had a hard time remembering how things work. Plus, he just couldn't physically get around easily to show me everything. So I will need to learn on my own. It's good to know this forum is here. I've learned a lot already.

Thanks again!
Old 06-25-2018, 05:05 AM   #10

Read your manuals if you got any they will help you understand the components and just get to using them you will learn fast. I know everyone is not mechanic inclined to do their own work but you can save a lot of money changing your own oil and filters on these beasts. It's really not that hard if you get you some special items to make the job easier. Be sure to check the age of the tires and belts and hoses before hitting the road, might save a break down on the side of the road. Happy Trails
Poohbear7278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 11:30 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohbear7278 View Post
Read your manuals if you got any they will help you understand the components and just get to using them you will learn fast. I know everyone is not mechanic inclined to do their own work but you can save a lot of money changing your own oil and filters on these beasts. It's really not that hard if you get you some special items to make the job easier. Be sure to check the age of the tires and belts and hoses before hitting the road, might save a break down on the side of the road. Happy Trails
Thanks for the advice. I have the manuals. Just need to find the time to read them! I'm looking forward to learning!

Tags
newbie, service