Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2010, 04:57 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Newbie question/windy days

Being new to RVing,I have 37ft. class a. Will be making about 100 mile trip along Fl east coast in 2 days. The wind will be 15-20 from east that will be hitting me broadside for that trip on interstate. Time is not of the essence, what is your advice?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2010, 05:06 PM   #2

Well, it does not seem that you will be travelling that far, considering the two day timeframe. That would make me wonder why you would not take slower more scenic routes, like 1A1. On this route the scenery is probably far more interesting than any super slab and wind affect is a non-issue. Enjoy!

Peter

Old 09-22-2010, 05:39 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Although I have only been RV'ing for 3+ years, I have lived in Florida all my life. Unless there is a hurricane expected (which there is not), I wouldn't worry about those wind speeds. Now, last year, I drove on I-40, out west and sometime the winds were at least 50mph, on my broadside. It turned a semi over, in the median. The only effect on me, was that I was very tired, from the strain of keeping the shiny side up! So if you feel threatned by the wind, just slow down. The slower you are, the heavier you are.

Safe travels, Roland
Old 09-22-2010, 08:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublehooked View Post
Being new to RVing,I have 37ft. class a. Will be making about 100 mile trip along Fl east coast in 2 days. The wind will be 15-20 from east that will be hitting me broadside for that trip on interstate. Time is not of the essence, what is your advice?
Do yourself a favor and plan your travel during the night! Usually winds tend to subside once the sun has set and there is almost no traffic. With less traffic you can maintain a comfortable pace. You won't feel pressured to stay with the traffic flow which can average 65/70MPH on I-95. One additional bonus of traveling at night, no sun to contend with With a nice slow pace your 100 mile trek should take approximately two hours
bob109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:31 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I wouldn't worry about it much. Most of I95 is sheltered with trees, so you will only notice occasional gusts, e.g. when crossing overpasses.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:53 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by gripper View Post
Although I have only been RV'ing for 3+ years, I have lived in Florida all my life. Unless there is a hurricane expected (which there is not), I wouldn't worry about those wind speeds. Now, last year, I drove on I-40, out west and sometime the winds were at least 50mph, on my broadside. It turned a semi over, in the median. The only effect on me, was that I was very tired, from the strain of keeping the shiny side up! So if you feel threatned by the wind, just slow down. The slower you are, the heavier you are.

Safe travels, Roland
that trip down I40.... with those winds..... YOU MUST HAVE BEEN IN OKLAHOMA

anyway... the short trip you got i wouldn't worry about, if you are OK driving at night, I would drive at night, as stated above, traffic is less so if you have to, you can do 50 and drive in the middle of the lanes if its THAT BAD... (nobody jump on me about that line, i'm just giving a "worse case senario") I drove from Oklahoma City to Eastern Nebraska, 6 hour drive... until you add 45mph steady and 55mph gust to the east side of me.... THE ENTIRE TRIP! turned into an 8hr drive and my arms were about to fall off when i finally got there.. hooked up electric, left the toad hooked up to the rear and went to bed! this should be an AWESOME learning experience for you and your new "lightweight brick"... just don't stress to much or accidents will fault, and DO NOT RUSH! you really are heavier if your slower!

GOOD LUCK AND DRIVE SAFE!
Old 09-23-2010, 07:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublehooked View Post
You don't mention the condition of your rig's running gear so assume tires/shocks/brakes etc are all good to go. If not, even a light wind of 15-20 will make weak suspension issues show up with swaying or wandering. I don't know the road/terrain your traveling as some do. Here in the midwest some stands of trees along the way in conjuction with open fields can funnel light winds to heavy gusts in an open area. I try to be aware of potential gust areas as I go along. Our rig is only 13KGVW yet very stable, IMHO. Once had a quartering steady 35 mph breeze across our nose with gusts to 50 and had no issues..other than watching the gas gauge and wishing the wind was behind us.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:13 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Time is too short for much. But as long term considerations, first I'd consider a front traction bar to help with wind. They do work. I understand steering dampeners like Steer Safe also work but haven't invested in that yet. Also, if applicable, Koni FSD shocks will surprise you on how much they increase stability.

Our 2007 Gulf Stream on a W24 Workhorse was like a roller coaster and scared the *^&% out of me all the time, especially in the wind. Koni's and a front trac bar made a world of difference. Next is a rear sway bar, then maybe a steering dampener if the budget allows.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:46 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I wouldn't worry about it at all. Slow down a bit and you'll be fine. I don't travel at night because I hate setting up after dark. Oh yeah, and I don't see well in the dark anymore.

Be safe...

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:53 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
this is pretty good timing topic for me. Did a quick 700 miles over the weekend driving from cols ohio to TN.. Friday on the way down had regular high wind for all the way down to TN - 350 miles est.. did only about 60 mph most of the way down .. was heading south and had a steady crosswind with frequent high gusts blowing the rig easly to the right with each gust.. making it worse was the semis blowing past me on top of the high wind.. i drive an 2000 adventure on a workhorse chasis and it has new tires with steer safe.. its my first moho .. and being a newbie - getting to the question.. is this something i should expect handling wise for this RV ? Are there chasis that handle better and stay more in the middle of the road in these situations ?
Old 09-30-2010, 03:09 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Hi jcasnellie,
Welcome to iRV2. I am not familiar with the Workhorse chassis. In general, when the wind hits the side of the coach, the coach will lean and move the direction of the wind. The objective is to lessen the coach's lean (weight shift). The possibilities of minimizing this weight shift are:
1. Have the correct tire pressure for the weight being carried. Have all four corners weighed. Check your tire manufacturer's web site for inflation charts. If needed, change the tire PSI to comply with the chart.
2 .Have a two axle alignment done by a skilled alignment shop.

For after market devices, consider:
1. Rear track bar
2. Rear anti sway bar
3. Front anti sway bar if possible for a Workhorse chassis

Other members having more Workhorse knowledge will post additional suggestions.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:52 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcasnellie View Post
this is pretty good timing topic for me. Did a quick 700 miles over the weekend driving from cols ohio to TN.. Friday on the way down had regular high wind for all the way down to TN - 350 miles est.. did only about 60 mph most of the way down .. was heading south and had a steady crosswind with frequent high gusts blowing the rig easly to the right with each gust.. making it worse was the semis blowing past me on top of the high wind.. i drive an 2000 adventure on a workhorse chasis and it has new tires with steer safe.. its my first moho .. and being a newbie - getting to the question.. is this something i should expect handling wise for this RV ? Are there chasis that handle better and stay more in the middle of the road in these situations ?
Last Friday 9/24 was a really really windy day in northern Indiana..if the Columbus, Oh? wind was similar...it was steady 35 mph w gust to 50 mph here out of the west. For most of our 115 mile trip we drove NW..so a bit quartering wind. For just a bit over 8 miles we drove due North, so wind was abeam. THAT was not nice! Told DW if the whole trip was like that I would need a drink of whiskey when we arrived..and I don't drink whiskey.

Like you, I think, I am not experienced in enough MH's to know if the handling I expereinced is typical, better, worse than can be expected. I can't think of having to drive in much worse wind conditions than last Friday, and I would say the MH handled...pretty well. It was a two hands on the wheel..anticipate..focus effort..but we travelled at speed and stayed in our lane and did not have a dirty pants episode so I guess thats ok?
Heading NW steady wind wasn't an issue..just the gusting. Gusts hitting our rig did not cause a tipping/leaning of the unit..which I suppose signifies the suspension is tied together correctly and well,..but did want to push us around. Semi's passing did have an affect..but nothing extreme...the usual feel of the bow wave "nudge" then calm then the return of big wind after they cleared and no longer blocked the westerly wind.

When the wind was abeam..that did cause the MH to lean over a bit and rock...but not so bad I thought it dangerous. ALL the vehicles on that road were rocked by the gusts that day..so with our cross signature I didn't think we did too bad. I would have loved to driven an RV with all the handling bells and whistles up and down that road that day. I wonder what a dealer would have said if I had shown up and asked to test drive a few of his that day? hehehehehe
Old 09-30-2010, 03:55 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Thank you both for the posts and suggestions - will investigate further the improvement options..and will post back to let everyone know how it goes..
Old 10-02-2010, 10:43 PM   #14

That is light wind. If your motor home makes you feel uncomfortable in that "breeze" you need a new motor home.

B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote